• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Some very strange scores from yesterday - some teams really not turning up or just totally switching off during the game....

I dont think anyone will touch Vikings this year.

Grant Jones what happened with Qbn and Easts - why was it an embarrassing game? Easts are a totally different out-fit this year.

strapping

Stan Wickham (3)
vikings recruiting and taking local juniors first grade spots?? if you got rid of half the imports comp wide
1. the comp would be weaker then a country division and
2. there would be half the amount of teams being fielded (slight exaggeration)
Recruitment is a fact of life all clubs do it look at insiderunning there are country teams looking to recruit its a part of sport.
this whole amateur comp business is BS back in the day when it was a hobby maybe but some of the hours these first graders put in to play first grade and the sacrifices they make you have to ask why dont they deserve something seeming alot of them sacrifice careers to be able to train for griffins and their own clubs. Obviously not all clubs are able financially to support this but all the rugby clubs have had clubs and sources of money at some point. there just isnt the interest in the comp around canberra other sports (AFL, League) pay some big $$.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Some very strange scores from yesterday - some teams really not turning up or just totally switching off during the game..

I dont think anyone will touch Vikings this year.

Grant Jones what happened with Qbn and Easts - why was it an embarrassing game? Easts are a totally different out-fit this year.
I don't agree with you that Vikings won't be touched this year, I think anyone who makes the top 4 will have a genuine chance of taking it out.
Yeah Easts are a totally different outfit this year when they have all of their Brumbies, but they only had Van Der Walt on the weekend and our first grade thought it would be a walk in the park and didn't show up, we would of been better off running our second grade team out there on the weekend! Don't want to take too much away from their performance because as their coach said 'he didn't care if they didn't win another game all year' so they were def up for this one, but our players made some of their average players look like superstars because of a lack of commitment to defence and our game plan.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
vikings recruiting and taking local juniors first grade spots?? if you got rid of half the imports comp wide
1. the comp would be weaker then a country division and
2. there would be half the amount of teams being fielded (slight exaggeration)
Recruitment is a fact of life all clubs do it look at insiderunning there are country teams looking to recruit its a part of sport.
this whole amateur comp business is BS back in the day when it was a hobby maybe but some of the hours these first graders put in to play first grade and the sacrifices they make you have to ask why dont they deserve something seeming alot of them sacrifice careers to be able to train for griffins and their own clubs. Obviously not all clubs are able financially to support this but all the rugby clubs have had clubs and sources of money at some point. there just isnt the interest in the comp around canberra other sports (AFL, League) pay some big $$.
Totally agree with the comp being weaker if not for the imports, we at QBN recruit players as well. The exaggeration you make is on the comp being only as strong as country rugby if we didn't have these blokes, not that there would be less teams, I think having the top clubs being so dominate does more to risk the number of teams in the competition as why would players want to play for Uni, Easts for example when they know there is not chance of them not competing with the top teams. I really feel for Uni-Norths who are not getting anywhere near the support that Easts are getting and fear that if they are not helped they are at risk. I don't think that league is that big of a risk in Canberra, while there is money in the comp, the standard is quite low and I would say that there is more interest in the John I Dent as it is one step below Super Rugby, where fringe NRL players play for a Sydney club in the NSW comp.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
'Yeah Easts are a totally different outfit this year when they have all of their Brumbies'.

'Our players made some of their average players look like superstars because of a lack of commitment to defence and our game plan'.

Sounds a bit ungracious Grant, one might say that the Queanbeyan team had its share of fairly average players. Your 2nd row was more concerned with action off the ball, and you were playing a solid No.8 at hooker.

Some of your backs were also too concerned with our 13, GP (yes, I appreciate there is a story there, but once on the field, the best way to get back at someone is to win isn't it? 1 - 0 to the South African)

We were also missing Chris Cocca who is benching for the Brumbies vs. Lions, so hats off to the lads who had to step up.

Arrogance (common of many clubs against Easts and Uni-Norths, especially Queanbeyan and Vikings) will bite you in first grade.

Addressing your first statement, I'd argue that whilst its great having a lot of Brumbies potentially available, they are a double edged sword. They are obviously exceptional individuals, are strong, fit and well drilled. However, they don't train tuesdays, and sometimes not even a thursday. If they don't know the systems and plays it will be shown up and exploited in first grade.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Sounds a bit ungracious Grant, one might say that the Queanbeyan team had its share of fairly average players. Your 2nd row was more concerned with action off the ball, and you were playing a solid No.8 at hooker.

Some of your backs were also too concerned with our 13, GP (yes, I appreciate there is a story there, but once on the field, the best way to get back at someone is to win isn't it? 1 - 0 to the South African)

We were also missing Chris Cocca who is benching for the Brumbies vs. Lions, so hats off to the lads who had to step up.

Arrogance (common of many clubs against Easts and Uni-Norths, especially Queanbeyan and Vikings) will bite you in first grade.

Addressing your first statement, I'd argue that whilst its great having a lot of Brumbies potentially available, they are a double edged sword. They are obviously exceptional individuals, are strong, fit and well drilled. However, they don't train tuesdays, and sometimes not even a thursday. If they don't know the systems and plays it will be shown up and exploited in first grade.
Full credit to Easts and the way they stepped up.
Geeps got off very lightly, don't think there was anyone out there to get him, otherwise he would of known about it. And if he did get some rough treatment, it was nothing he didn't deserve, I pity your club for having to deal with him now. You did us a massive favour.
I agree that arrogance will bring you down, and it is a massive shame that this has crept into our first grade side despite now performing at all this year.
I agree that it is double edge sword having the Brumbies players at times, but if you are being honest, Saturdays game would of been your first win of the year if you didn't have them.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Look, I'm just a lowly 3rd grade player at Vikings but I have to say that I don't see why more talent from Vikings doen't got to other clubs.

There's a number of boys in the 2nds and 3rds who would get starts in the 1sts for a few of the other clubs. If I was a young fella trying to get some good game time at Vikings, I'd be off somewhere where I get good minutes playing against the best the comp has to offer.

Sure, you mite not win every week but the opportunity to put some hits and some big plays on against the Vikings and Queanbeyans of the comp would be worth it.

Bugeye

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sorry I forgot the You

Bullrush are you one of these players from Vikings that could play higher at other clubs?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Sorry I forgot the You

Bullrush are you one of these players from Vikings that could play higher at other clubs?

Hahaha....not likely mate. I'm 35yrs old and this is my last year playing. I came to Vikings to finish my 'career' playing with some of my family who play there.

In saying that....I've scored a few tries and picked up a few 'players player' votes this season.......I wonder if the Brumbies need any loosie cover on Tues?? Bahahahahaha

Bugeye

Allen Oxlade (6)
What club did you play with before?
Also what is it like playing at Vikings and their culture?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I played at the Eagles last year and at the Hall Bushrangers the year before that. The year before that I moved to Canberra middle of the season and played a few games at Vikings, again cos that's where my family play but I live out Dunlop.

It's a bit hard for me to compare the culture as I had the benefit of knowing a few guys already at Vikings - especially after living here 3 years and hanging out with them thru my family connections to the club. I enjoyed the year I played at Hall but wasn't too keen to play in the Monaro comp as I have a young family and don't want to travel. The Eagles were OK but I came back to Vikings to play with guys who I know will have my back and really just enjoy my last year playing. Even though a few of the boys I'm tight with have been called up to 2nds in the last few weeks, the other boys in the team are real good guys as well and I'm glad I decided to make the switch....even tho driving all the way out there is a bit of a hassle!!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Today's scores:

Vikings 24 def Wests 19 (sounded like a top ending)
Queanbeyan 29 def Royals 14

Haven't seen anything from Easts v Uni-Norths at this stage

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Today's scores:

Vikings 24 def Wests 19 (sounded like a top ending)
Queanbeyan 29 def Royals 14

Haven't seen anything from Easts v Uni-Norths at this stage
Still haven't heard the result from Uni and Easts?
And did anyone watch Tuggeranong colts and know how they lost to Wests?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Are Uni able to field teams in all 4 grades? Are they simply lacking acouple of star players or is it simply across the board that they just lack good 1st graders?

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Are Uni able to field teams in all 4 grades? Are they simply lacking acouple of star players or is it simply across the board that they just lack good 1st graders?
Uni-Norths from what I can see are struggling big time, in the 48 games they have played across 5 grades this year, they have won only the one game in second grade, on the weekend against Easts. This is surprising because they have always had a strong colts team. This is why I think it is unfair what the Brumbies have done with giving Easts such a big allocation of players, you could argue that this has been at the expense of Uni. I really hope they can be competitive again, I am sure they will be, we were in that position not too long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.