• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup - Canberra Competition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
welcome to the 21st century. Club loyalty is a thing of the past now Empire I'm afraid. The JID is big enough to be able to cope with player losses. IMO

Not so sure about that, as with all generalisations, there are cases for and against.

Jack Vanderglas and Reza Almasi are two guys who have been with Easts through thick and thin, and could definitely made 1st grade anywhere else in Australia, especially clubs that can actually pay...

Alas, yes the JID is strong enough to absorb the expected losses.

R

rugga10

Sam Y has to have surgery on his knee and will be out for at least 9 months

H

HappyHC

Parra will not become strong at the expense of Vikings or queanbeyan. A couple of blokes seeking opportunity which exists due to a coach having knowledge of players from Canberra is standard movement. Parra are not actively looking tp pull players out of Canberra to "prop them up" - any given week there are around 100 former parra players turning out for other clubs in Sydney - some of these guys returning to a genuine program will help turn them around - and believe it or not they have some existing talent as well.

Parahi will remain in Canberra for rehab on his shoulder - lealiifano has not spoken to any Sydney club yet and esekia would have some work to do to crack it in Sydney.

I would be more concerned about local player movement - Canberra clubs getting stronger at the expense of other Canberra Sides.

Qbn to be strong again - royals and easts to be the big movers. I will put it out there that royals will come very close to winning it in 2011.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
As with most things in Club Rugby - it will take the first few proper training sessions, if not games to see how the dust settles.

Best of luck to Parra, with or without the suggested names. Cristini should be able to get the club back on its feet.

Agreed - Royals sound very strong by the sound of it. S. Tai is a machine, certainly won't hurt having him back. If things pan out as speculated/hinted at here, it should be a very competitive year across the board.

F

F1Fan

Word is that Jackson Selby and Hamish Angus from Warringah have moved to Vikings. Whilst Angus has played 1st grade in Sydney and is a different type of player to Sam Y he is a handy replacement. Selby is untested at grade level in Sydney having played 3 seasons of Colts 1s. A big strong guy who is also an adept goal kicker. Will be interesting to see how they go

H

HappyHC

For the record - those from John I Dent Cup who have been sighted (or will be) training at Parramatta are:

1. Sione Taula (prop)
2. Trent Hocsher (Hooker)
3. Kaleb Rech (Halfback)
4. Sam Yakopo (Five Eight) - Injured and out for season
5. Dan Yakopo (Wing/Centre)
6. Bronson Shephard (Centre)
7. Tyler Stevens (Fullback)

My info has that as being it at this stage, Waqa Vulawalu was in the John I Dent cup in 2009 and is rumoured to have linked with Parra. There has apparently been a number of other new bodies from other clubs around Sydney, a kiwi or two (or three) who have moved over the ditch and a number of League converts who should feature strongly as well.

A number of handy players heading to Canberra from Sydney though - Jackson Selby and Hamish Angus are good footballers and a very promising Parra player heading to Uni-Norths as well, so not always one way traffic.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
"A couple of blokes seeking opportunity which exists due to a coach having knowledge of players from Canberra is standard movement." - Happy HC.

5 from Vikings alone. Ouch.

Some handy players there, should help Parra compete.

By the sounds of it, Vikings have lost quite a few from last year (locally and interstate). Anyone know who they've replaced them with, aside from the warringah pair?

B

Beast

For the record - those from John I Dent Cup who have been sighted (or will be) training at Parramatta are:

1. Sione Taula (prop)
3. Kaleb Rech (Halfback)

My info has that as being it at this stage, Waqa Vulawalu was in the John I Dent cup in 2009 and is rumoured to have linked with Parra. There has apparently been a number of other new bodies from other clubs around Sydney, a kiwi or two (or three) who have moved over the ditch and a number of League converts who should feature strongly as well.

A number of handy players heading to Canberra from Sydney though - Jackson Selby and Hamish Angus are good footballers and a very promising Parra player heading to Uni-Norths as well, so not always one way traffic.

Are Selby and Angus off to the Vikings ? Does this Parra player have a name? and why would he be going to Uni-Norths and not the Vikings or the Whites where Christini has connections

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)

1. Sione Taula (prop)
3. Kaleb Rech (Halfback)

Rumor about Vulawalu is correct, he is moving from what I understand.
Vikings losing alot more players than the 5 heading to Parra, Kyron Pita is heading to Royals from what I hear and also a few lower graders looking at Easts and other clubs.
Good to see Shepard make the move, he is a very handy player.

Looking forward to seeing which players have moved interclub this week when most clubs should be returning to training.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Drove past the Royals Pre Season today on the way home from work...and they had huge numbers.....
Decided to stop in for a closer look, and nearly everyone training (I counted around 73) were fit and firing....and it looks as though a few players from Sydney have made the trek to Royals also......and it was a sight to see big Soks Tai training..he is looking massive....and fit.....

B

Beast

Could someone list the players who have copme down from sydney as we already have a list of players going to sydney
Obvioulsy the Warringah pair of Selby and Angus to the Vkings, this Parramatta player to the Owls (yet to have a name maybe HappyHC could help there ) and the players at the Royals ( BP can provide that) any others who have come down from Shute Shield to Canberra ?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Sounds ominous BP - that's a big turn out!

Our training had 50+, but a lot of Uni students still on holidays (term is 2-3 weeks away). Quite a few new faces, particurlarly some islanders in the backs who look pretty good - I'll learn more when I get around to meeting them. We've certainly picked up some big forwards, the two new props are pretty big boys.

Lavery and Tapara checked in after academy (?) training.

Good vibe around the club, looking positive so far.

No Sydney based players for us Mr Beast.

P

Parra GM

Jordan Goddard is going to Uni at ANU. I believe so too is Hartley Pike. Jordan is a very talented backrower/centre and Hartley is a very good front rower. Both these kids played Parra colts last year.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Where they actively pursued by Uni-Norths, or just leaving Parra to go to uni?

ANU is the highest ranking uni in Australia after all - that's why they always have a reasonable colts, but average 1st XV (most students move straight after finishing uni).

P

Parra GM

Where they actively pursued by Uni-Norths, or just leaving Parra to go to uni?

ANU is the highest ranking uni in Australia after all - that's why they always have a reasonable colts, but average 1st XV (most students move straight after finishing uni).

It's my belief that they weren't pursued by Uni-Norths and are actually moving down for study. They are 2 very good footballers and will be an asset to the club. And most importantly, they are 2 very good kids too.

P

Parra GM

Thanks GM, How do you guys think Selby will progress from colts into grade ? he is a big lad so I would presume he would handle it, did he play any grade games for the rats last year.

GM are Goddard and Pike capable of playing grade or do you think its another year of colts for them ?

I am still very interested in seeing who these sydney players are who are training with the Royals

Dunno a lot about the Rats boys so cant accurately answer that. He played well v Parra last 3 years though. Is certainly a big unit for a 13 or 14.

Goddard and Pike will most likely play Colts I would imagine. But put it this way, if Goddard had stayed with us, he would've gone close to 1st grade this year. Is a fantastic talent.

mopo10

Frank Row (1)
Royals had a massive turn out on Tues with a lot of young faces presumably colts & U18s, Soks was back and Kyron Pita from Vikings was there too, there were two other new boys training both having played for North Harbour B's a 1st 5 & Prop however the latter plays for Penrith and was just accompanying an ol friend for a run......No other Sydney boys there everyone else has played with the club already awaiting the arrival of the two Auckland boys very soon....only time will tell how well we go this year dont wanna build any unwanted hype for the club.

P

Parra GM

Prop however the latter plays for Penrith and was just accompanying an ol friend for a run

Long way to travel just to run with a mate. I'll think you'll find he wants to play at Royals but still has a year to run on a deal at Penrith

Status
Not open for further replies.