• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup - Canberra Competition -

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

random477

Whites had a trial on the weekend against Wests and a Trial the week before in Kiama.

B

Brumbies Whiteman

Whites went down to wests convincingly. Missing villi iongi which adds a lot of spark but missing too were wests between 4-5 key players. Pama Fou played his best game of the year for runners scoring 4 and setting up another 3 will be a great addition to wests. McKercher looked good for Wests as did the young winger not sure of his name but had pace and skill. Any news on trials this weekend? News that wests have maintained young academy prospect dylan t-simpson. I believe he missed all last year with a shoulder recon but should be a great addition to what was already a great backline. Watching royals over the last two weeks at training, look big and skillful. I heard Lesberg is making big inroads there.

C

Canon76

How is Easts shaping up against Royals this weekend?

Any other trial news from any of the other sides?

Uni-Norths won the Laffan Cup last week ( which is a selection trial for the Australian Universities Team) all the major Uni for the QLD, NSW and VIC competed.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Whites went down to wests convincingly. Missing villi iongi which adds a lot of spark but missing too were wests between 4-5 key players. Pama Fou played his best game of the year for runners scoring 4 and setting up another 3 will be a great addition to wests. McKercher looked good for Wests as did the young winger not sure of his name but had pace and skill. Any news on trials this weekend? News that wests have maintained young academy prospect dylan t-simpson. I believe he missed all last year with a shoulder recon but should be a great addition to what was already a great backline. Watching royals over the last two weeks at training, look big and skillful. I heard Lesberg is making big inroads there.

Yeah your right, Wests touched us up good. We are missing Vili and missing the spark of Tyler Stevens. I will be the first to admit that I am wrong about Wests prospects this year. Dylan Taitoko-Simpson and Pama Fou will make a huge difference to their attack especially if the big forwards go forward. Although whether the Forwards have the fitness to compete with a Gungahlin, Tuggies or Royals is another story. In terms of Queanbeyan, still pretty confident in our depth in the backs, Vili will be back after this weekend so will be ready for round 1 which is good.
As for Royals, yes, Leseberg is making huge inroads and by the looks of it they have two very strong and fit senior squads. And they have big numbers for Colts so it looks like something is going right there.

G

goroyals

Good luck to the Vikings, The Royals, The Uni, The Wests, The Queanbeyan, The Easts, The Gungahlin in this years the John I Dent Shoild.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I can confirm Easts v Royals. All grades to Royals.

I wasn't there, so can't really comment on matches. I do know we were missing a lot of players this weekend - resting a few with minor injuries for season proper.

Happy Colts had a game - their first training was on Thursday night.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
I can confirm Easts v Royals. All grades to Royals.

I wasn't there, so can't really comment on matches. I do know we were missing a lot of players this weekend - resting a few with minor injuries for season proper.

I see both teams missing a few players but i heard 1st Grade was a tight fixture. Other grades were blow outs.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Yea, can't comment on Royals, but I know for certain we were missing at least 10 senior players (1sts/2nds) through travel, GAMSAT, and injury.

Our problem is getting blokes to commit to off season - the amount of guys showing up just before season is dissapointing. Club seems to have an image problem regarding how social we are. I hope we can change it - blokes should know getting flogged isn't much fun. A good preseason's fitness does wonders. A good off season in our new free gym would hurt either.

Can anyone provide any analysis of 1sts?

Any other games people can share?

B

bossman69

watched the royals vs easts game on saturday...royals backrow looking a bit different from last year, few new faces? anyone give me a run down of whose who?

Italian Stallion

Stan Wickham (3)
watched the royals vs easts game on saturday...royals backrow looking a bit different from last year, few new faces? anyone give me a run down of whose who?

Back Row was NZ Import Tyson Tamihere and also Soks Tai back, at 7 was Liam Slater, converted from Colts Fullback last season...Still a few to come into the pack including Tom Pelo, Kyron Pita and also Joe Kolo who returns from Tongan Duty this week. Only downside was Shoulder Injury to our New Centre. Halfback Scott Patterson due back in 3 weeks, Ben Johnston in a 2-3....so looking ok....lower grades were dominant but 1sts struggled.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

Our problem is getting blokes to commit to off season - the amount of guys showing up just before season is dissapointing. Club seems to have an image problem regarding how social we are. I hope we can change it - blokes should know getting flogged isn't much fun. A good preseason's fitness does wonders. A good off season in our new free gym would hurt either.

I hope you don't mind me butting in, Empire. On what you have stated I don't think your club has "an image problem" at all; it seems to be a problem of club culture. It's not about perception; it's about the reality of the situation.

Colts having "their first training session" in late March; "guys showing up just before season"; "our new free gym" not really being used in the off season. This seems like a club that is not just sick but if not arrested slowly dying.

In competitions as strong as that of the ACT the old piss culture no longer has a place. And we are letting kids down if we don't encourage them to explore their playing potential.

I hope the club is addressing these issues.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
I hope you don't mind me butting in, Empire. On what you have stated I don't think your club has "an image problem" at all; it seems to be a problem of club culture. It's not about perception; it's about the reality of the situation.

Colts having "their first training session" in late March; "guys showing up just before season"; "our new free gym" not really being used in the off season. This seems like a club that is not just sick but if not arrested slowly dying.

In competitions as strong as that of the ACT the old piss culture no longer has a place. And we are letting kids down if we don't encourage them to explore their playing potential.

I hope the club is addressing these issues.

I am going to have to agree with Bruce on this one Empire, sounds like the issue is with the culture in the club, not the image. Maybe something the leadership group within the club should address although as the saying goes "attitude reflects leadership"

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Leadership and culture is strong - righting the wrongs from years of trouble, issues etc doesn't happen overnight.

That said, we are making inroads, sure and steady. The image will take a few good years to change.

C

CoachTB

If actions within are matching image from outside then it is the culture - having said that I am sure Easts can and will fix this over time, they have some good people involved.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Having done some checking I am reassured that those in charge at Easts have already addressed most of the relevant issues. The benefits should begin to flow throughout this season and hopefully result in a very active off season in preparation for 2012 which would be the Club's 75th season if my arithmetic is correct.

Good luck to an ACT Rugby foundation club.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Canberra Comp kicks off this weekend.
Match of the round...by far would have to be Tuggies V Royals...
New coaches, Tuggies with new players and Royals with returning players....
When do the team lists get posted on Brumbies.com.au?

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Yea, quite a few of the boys are glad to see them back - all were good mates/team mates at Eddies.

You never know, the Ahosivi brothers might come out of the woodwork and have a run if all these guys are enjoying themselves, purely speculation however, but mates usually pull other mates along.

Another player who looked very good on the weekend was Sam Shirley - plenty of aggression and strong running. He'll be either 4 or 6 this weekend.

Have the Whites played any trials lately?

Empire, Tau Taholo is still playing League, and the Ahosivi boys are all playing for the Whites this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.