• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Julia's Reign

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Boyo, at my age I should rejoice that I can actually see TV without Mr McGoo Coke Bottle Glasses. I thought that I'd slip in 1 reference to 1080 HD to sound like a tech head that knows what they are talking about.

Hugh, I call those type of glasses "bullet-proof glasses".

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
With all the resignations we can now have Juila's team of left wingers, failed Greens etc and all looking to Conroy for advice and guidance now that the experienced folk have left the room.
There was not a big pool to choose from as 3 others have already gone over the last month in Roxon et al.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I think the whole thing this week is symbolic of us having a political elite. A bunch of people whose sole profession and reason for existence is politics. And they are so consumed by the process the result is almost irrelevant for them. They seem to forget that as politicians their job is to govern, not play politics.

The current job may have some good ideas and are trying to do the odd decent thing, but their whole process and vision is still ingrained with politics. They seem to want to do things for the good of 'the party', not necessarily the good of the country. And the lack of detail, professionalism, accountability and clarity of some of their ideas is worrying. THe NDIS and NBN are probably good ideas but I can't see the muppets in government having the ability to deliver them efficiently and in an appropriate manner. (And that is before we get to that little thing of funding. Where is the money coming from??)

That said we also have to be careful in what we wish for. The opposition don't seem to be the 'light on the hill' either.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Was listening today to what a mate was saying. This whole spill was staged by Gillard and Crean. Crean didn't stuff it up, he flushed out Rudd as intended. Crean to the back bench is for show but he will be rewarded in due time. Remember Crean has never been a Rudd fan.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Was listening today to what a mate was saying. This whole spill was staged by Gillard and Crean. Crean didn't stuff it up, he flushed out Rudd as intended. Crean to the back bench is for show but he will be rewarded in due time. Remember Crean has never been a Rudd fan.
Thats my theory - does this person have inside info?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
If
If that was correct, I think Rudd's response would have been different yesterday. I think he would have big noted a bit and made it clear he had already said he wouldn't challenge.

As it was, he seemed a bit rattled and genuine when he said he would never lead the Labor party again. I think Thursday was his watershed moment.

I expect he will either retire from parliament or start his own centrist party. If he could convince Turnbull to join him he would actually have a chance of taking the balance of power in the lower house.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well on Monday we should have the new 2nd VX run out in Canberra
I will wait with great anticipation for someone to interview Keating about all this.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What Elfster said. The other lot are just as guilty of professional political careerism: both O'Farrell and Abbott did lengthy stretches in older politicians' offices as gophers. But the Labor Party have raised it to an art form. The practice of bestowing political privilege to gain advantage is a relatively modern one and became firmly entrenched in the ALP by "Bruvver" Ducker in the 60s and 70s. Some of his early work was worthy of merit (he supported Whitlam against the ALP executive of "faceless men" and was instrumental in the gutting of the Victorian left leading to Whitlam's victory in 1972) but the power gained by bestowing favours went to his head in his last years in charge of the NSW ALP. Ducker handed the baton to Graham Richardson and he took the handing out of favours to another level. One of Richo's monumental stuffups would have to be installing Eddie Obeid as a casual vacancy in the upper house of the NSW Parliament in 1991; it's difficult to see how Richardson can ever show his face in public again after foisting this amoral creature on the people of New South Wales. Richardson was followed by another "fixer", John Della Bosca, who successfully positioned his wife, Belinda Neal, as a casual Senate vacancy in 1994. After she resigned to (unsuccessfully) run in the 1998 election Della got her up as a lower house candidate for Robertson in 2007; I'm sure you're all aware of Belinda's recent past. These incidents are mere snapshots of the unseemly political patronage handed out by those holding the levers of power in the ALP. Eddie Obeid and Joe Tripodi worked hand-in-hand with the odorous pair, Mark Arbib and Karl Bitar, all of whom must wear a lot of blame for the damage they've caused their party these last few years; didja know Arbib's successor as NSW ALP General Secretary, Matt Thistlethwaite, IS A SENATOR?

The last few years I've read a few contemporary political tomes, including Rodney Cavalier's Power crisis: the self-destruction of a state Labor Party. It's depressing to read what's left of the Labor Party in NSW. The sweeping aside of ordinary members by the professional political class is nearly complete, the ALP in NSW is literally disappearing up its own fundament. This lack of representation by ordinary, sensible people who've lived a life in the "outside world" leads to the monumental fuckup the Labor government finds itself in in Canberra this week. Simon Benson's Betrayal is particularly scathing of Rudd; even his supporter, Maxine McKew, makes a few derogatory remarks about his management style in her recent book, Tales From the Political Trenches.

If you want to see how incestuous the ALP is in NSW (and have a relieving laugh) read this piece from The Australian two years ago. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ristina-keneally/story-e6frg6z6-1226026970457

PS. I'm not a member of any political party, nor am I an urger for any of 'em. However, I do think it's vitally important for democracy and the successful conduct of government our political parties are robust, honest and representative. Words which don't describe the modern Australian Labor Party.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If
If that was correct, I think Rudd's response would have been different yesterday. I think he would have big noted a bit and made it clear he had already said he wouldn't challenge.

As it was, he seemed a bit rattled and genuine when he said he would never lead the Labor party again. I think Thursday was his watershed moment.

I expect he will either retire from parliament or start his own centrist party. If he could convince Turnbull to join him he would actually have a chance of taking the balance of power in the lower house.
Crean outsmarted the smarmy ****

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What Elfster said. The other lot are just as guilty of professional political careerism: both O'Farrell and Abbott did lengthy stretches in older politicians' offices as gophers. But the Labor Party have raised it to an art form. The practice of bestowing political privilege to gain advantage is a relatively modern one and became firmly entrenched in the ALP by "Bruvver" Ducker in the 60s and 70s. Some of his early work was worthy of merit (he supported Whitlam against the ALP executive of "faceless men" and was instrumental in the gutting of the Victorian left leading to Whitlam's victory in 1972) but the power gained by bestowing favours went to his head in his last years in charge of the NSW ALP. Ducker handed the baton to Graham Richardson and he took the handing out of favours to another level. One of Richo's monumental stuffups would have to be installing Eddie Obeid as a casual vacancy in the upper house of the NSW Parliament in 1991; it's difficult to see how Richardson can ever show his face in public again after foisting this amoral creature on the people of New South Wales. Richardson was followed by another "fixer", John Della Bosca, who successfully positioned his wife, Belinda Neal, as a casual Senate vacancy in 1994. After she resigned to (unsuccessfully) run in the 1998 election Della got her up as a lower house candidate for Robertson in 2007; I'm sure you're all aware of Belinda's recent past. These incidents are mere snapshots of the unseemly political patronage handed out by those holding the levers of power in the ALP. Eddie Obeid and Joe Tripodi worked hand-in-hand with the odorous pair, Mark Arbib and Karl Bitar, all of whom must wear a lot of blame for the damage they've caused their party these last few years; didja know Arbib's successor as NSW ALP General Secretary, Matt Thistlethwaite, IS A SENATOR?

The last few years I've read a few contemporary political tomes, including Rodney Cavalier's Power crisis: the self-destruction of a state Labor Party. It's depressing to read what's left of the Labor Party in NSW. The sweeping aside of ordinary members by the professional political class is nearly complete, the ALP in NSW is literally disappearing up its own fundament. This lack of representation by ordinary, sensible people who've lived a life in the "outside world" leads to the monumental fuckup the Labor government finds itself in in Canberra this week. Simon Benson's Betrayal is particularly scathing of Rudd; even his supporter, Maxine McKew, makes a few derogatory remarks about his management style in her recent book, Tales From the Political Trenches.

If you want to see how incestuous the ALP is in NSW (and have a relieving laugh) read this piece from The Australian two years ago. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ristina-keneally/story-e6frg6z6-1226026970457

PS. I'm not a member of any political party, nor am I an urger for any of 'em. However, I do think it's vitally important for democracy and the successful conduct of government our political parties are robust, honest and representative. Words which don't describe the modern Australian Labor Party.

If I was still playing rugby you could read this sorry tale out to me every week to get me fired up
Loved the article in a sort of nauseating way

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Nice see our mysogynist hating PM with a man who treats women with such respect. Kylie for deputy PM

Status
Not open for further replies.