• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Listening device found in All Black hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A Gard.. and he works in security

Seriously?

Perhaps he filled the form out incorrectly? Was it in crayon?

A.Gard of BGI Security? Forms filled out in crayon? I''m sensing that Wayne-O & Gene-O's bro Brian-O, the one no one in the family talks about (clearly for good reason(s)), has been surreptitiously diversifying the family portfolio: Brian Gunston International Security? Talk about hiding in plain sight..................

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Steve Hansen: 'Frankly, the charge seems bizarre and unbelievable'.

Not sure if that's a real quote or naming OMC and EMF songs on his iPod.

It's not the first aspect of this thing that strikes me as bizarre and unbelievable. Can we expect World Rugby to intervene and apologise forthwith?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
A.Gard!
F*** yeah!
Sony Walkman!
F*** yeah!
Steve Hansen!
F*** yeah!
Corporate espionage!
F*** yeah!
Pretty nice hotel!
F*** yeah!
Fuck England!
F*** yeah!
Black jandals!
F*** yeah!
Gunston Mic’s!
F*** yeah!
Auckland Blues!
F*** yeah!
Aunty Doris’s scones!
F*** yeah!
Patrick Tuipulotu’s sensitive issues!
F*** yeah!

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
This could only be 2 things:
  1. Selling content to journos.
  2. Overzealous security.
I think Hanson is a humourless douche, and this is a good example of that.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting to see he denies any knowledge, but he he already seems to be found guilty by media and forum jockeys. I still don't know why anyone would of planted a bug or if anyone did, bur you would think because of the accusation this bloke and his brother's business will be history very soon as not a lot of people will employ them. So I hope he hasn't been hung out to dry by the Police and media!! In that I mean perhaps names etc should of been kept quiet until he been found guilty or close to court time as no matter what happens there this will stick.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
The security guard with personal motives sounds more plausible than the ARU attempting to listen in on AB meetings. There is nothing they could have said that would have prevented the Wobs losing that match.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Really hope A.Gard is guilty, such a great narrative, www.gunstongard.com pretty much writes itself. BUT the tiny atom-sized neutron of common sense in my brain says WHY would A.Gard biff away his security empire with such a daftly self-fellatingly career-felching move?

Unless he’s been doing the ol’ “found a bug!" manouevre all along......

Maybe he’s got a walk-in wardrobe of Paris Hilton grot tapes? hashtag#deep_web_where_do_I_sign_up

Snotterbox

Frank Nicholson (4)
The elephant in the room is a false flag operation to embarrass an opponent. If so, it would have had nothing to do with winning, only public humiliation. Look at the facts. The security guard is a serious professional, with a track record of protecting senior figures, including a US president, so he knows exactly what he's doing, and is unlikely to be so short of a buck as to risk selling information to journalists. He's worked for the ABs for 10 years, so isn't looking to make an impression. He found the bug. It wasn't reported till game day, when it would cause the most public relations damage. At the time, Hanson expressed surprise that the police were investigating. Hanson is an ex detective, so likely has experience with planting evidence. Walks like a duck, talks like a duck, likely is Chiba Duck. If so, they'll be shitting themselves. The AB spiritual trustees won't put up with it. The final clown head to roll down Baldwin St might be Hanson's.

Remember this is conjecture. I have no evidence, other than a Master's degree in schadenfreude. But wouldn't it be entertaining!

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The elephant in the room is a false flag operation to embarrass an opponent. If so, it would have had nothing to do with winning, only public humiliation. Look at the facts. The security guard is a serious professional, with a track record of protecting senior figures, including a US president, so he knows exactly what he's doing, and is unlikely to be so short of a buck as to risk selling information to journalists. He's worked for the ABs for 10 years, so isn't looking to make an impression. He found the bug. It wasn't reported till game day, when it would cause the most public relations damage. At the time, Hanson expressed surprise that the police were investigating. Hanson is an ex detective, so likely has experience with planting evidence. Walks like a duck, talks like a duck, likely is Chiba Duck. If so, they'll be shitting themselves. The AB spiritual trustees won't put up with it. The final clown head to roll down Baldwin St might be Hanson's.

Remember this is conjecture. I have no evidence, other than a Master's degree in schadenfreude. But wouldn't it be entertaining!

I would say that is incredibly unlikely.

There's a lot to point to Hanson being a boring human, and a wee bit of a douche, but you think he'd not only lie when questioned but concoct a story from the ground up for no other reason than "this might benefit us, and fuck you!"? Hm.

Snotterbox

Frank Nicholson (4)
Not from the ground up no. No one makes up complex lies from scratch. Instead, they spiral out of control. I know. I lie all the time. I'm lying now. Spurious complexity isn't evidence an explanation is true, but that it's not.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not from the ground up no. No one makes up complex lies from scratch. Instead, they spiral out of control. I know. I lie all the time. I'm lying now. Spurious complexity isn't evidence an explanation it's true, but that it's not.

Ever heard of Occam's razor? Well, it's hard to work out Occam's razor here, but it's certainly not what you're suggesting.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Ever heard of Occam's razor? Well, it's hard to work out Occam's razor here, but it's certainly not what you're suggesting.

Occam's Razor has some currency (even usefulness) within the physical sciences. That's where simple universal laws tend to apply.

Unfortunately Occam's Razor, or even "Maximum Parsimony", doesn't always work too well in social science (such as it is; the 'science' bit can be a stretch).

Taking it a level further to attempt to describe the warped and convoluted workings of the mind and human behavior is lunacy.

Get rid of William of Ockham. Listen to Alfred North Whitehead instead:

The aim of science is to seek the simplest explanation of complex facts. We are apt to fall into the error of thinking that the facts are simple because simplicity is the goal of our quest. The guiding motto in the life of every natural philosopher should be “Seek simplicity and distrust it.”​

Snotterbox

Frank Nicholson (4)

I have, and it is. Let's do some analysis.

If the charges are right, the security guard both planted and discovered the device. Who benefits?

Certainly not the ARU, if they paid him to snoop. That would be a triple blow: the loss of the bug, the loss of the information it would've provided, and a public relations black eye. The last thing they'd want is for it to be found.

And obviously not the press, for exactly the same reason. There's no surveillance use of a bug that includes it being found. Therefore, it wasn't for surveillance.

Why would anyone other than the ABs use a trusted AB employee for the job? It would be much easier to recruit one than 'turn' one of theirs. And besides, an outsider with a trusted double-agent inside the group wouldn't need a bug. The security staff sees everything.

The ABs benefited from the ritual public humiliation of their bunnies in yellow on game day [in addition to the usual on-field tonking]. Is that enough of a reason? That depends on the attitude of the perpetrator. Mockery is the new black.

Until this man was charged, the only ones who benefited were New Zealand rugby, as the 'victims' in a drama that painted their opponents in a bad light.

My only assumption is that Hanson is enough of a joker to do something like this.

QED.

Status
Not open for further replies.