• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dingdong

Anyone brave enough to make a prediction as to the placings? I have no clue having seen the draw between Sydney and Country a narrow Schools victory over Sydney and then read about the underwhelming game between Sydney and Brumbies. Are Qld or Victoria likely to bring something to the mix?

Too many unknown factors for me to make a prediction with any real conviction. However based on what I do know

1 Teams need to be really strong down to 23. IMO that rules out NSW Country, Brumbies, W.A.
2 You need to win the first game to take out the title. Victoria take on Queensland White in their first game. From all accounts White team looks to be weaker. Victoria to Win. Schools take on Brumbies, Schools to win. Country take on Juniors, who can tell with this one ? Juniors in a tight one for me. Qld Red should win against W.A.
3. From what I can see that leaves the winner coming from Schools, Victoria, Juniors or QLD Red. Although Victoria has a really strong back row and an outside centre who is my tip to be the player of the tournament, they may struggle with their depth.

As important as it is to do well at this great event, what's more important is the celebration of Junior Rugby that the ARU provides. Congratulations to all the players involved and good luck. I hope you all enjoy the experience and it inspires you to continue on to a long and successful life of Rugby.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Well, all the division 1 teams go into camp on Sunday, so good luck to them all.

Looking forward a strongly contested competition played in great spirit. Also looking forward to reading the views of those of you attending the games. Always interesting to read what others see.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
NSW Schools vs QLD 1 final. Competitive will be QLD 2, SJRU and Victoria. The rest, also rans...

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
and an outside centre who is my tip to be the player of the tournament.

So apart from the obvious of who is going to win, interested to hear from those with intimate knowledge of the different sides who are the "danger" players, the ones who could decide the outcome for their respective teams.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
A pity about the rain today in Sydney because Riverview is a bloody quagmire in the cricket square after such weather. Unfortunately I have to miss Monday because I have to go to the funeral of a relative, (and he would be amused if he could see what I wrote - a bit more unfortunate for me but go to the bloody footie, he would say).

Anyway, would folks who go tomorrow give some reports and especially who are up and coming players?

Thanks

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Field 1 looked better than field 2 which looks like it has 2 cricket pitches in it and bald patches all over the place. I just hope the grounds hold up with this rain and the amount of games. Be a shame for the tournament if it was affected by the weather.

Bill McLean (32)
... Victoria has a really strong back row and an outside centre who is my tip to be the player of the tournament ...

DD,

There are two players I am thinking about in this position, however if it is the same one, my understanding is Melbourne Storm are having a serious look at him (if an approach has not been made already).

At the trials with NSW Country there was a few interested News Limited ... sorry, sorry, 'MELBOURNE STORM' scouts (among others) watching on with interest ... lmao!

Regards,

A

Ageing Parent

Some early results for those interested.....
NSW Schools accounted for the Brumbies 48 - 17 in what was a very dominant display froom the Schools team in the first half. All players appeared to be given plenty of match time , with a number of starting players being rested in the second half.
Kamp at Flanker & Deegan at fly half had very strong matches, as did Lusick, switching from half to fly half in the second half when Davis came on. The back line for Schools looked threatening whenever they got the ball in the first half, but not as strong in the second - when the Brumbies secured a lot more of the ball.
In the second match, the Sydney Juniors team could be considered lucky to get out of jail, beating the West Australian team 15 - 13, thanks to 2 late tries ( in the last 10 minutes). The WA scrum was tremendous - often giving the Sydney scrum a real work out. Jones at full back for Sydney had a very strong match, scoring 2 tries, one in each half.

AP

Bill McLean (32)
Thank AP!!

... Some early results for those interested...

Thanks for that AP. If you would keep them coming, I and others would be grateful (especially Lee who is probably hearing voices from the grave telling him to get his back-side out to the rugby ... lmao).

BTW you might want to correct your "Last Edited" reason ... LMAO ... LMAO ... it states "SPELLING CORRETCIONS" ... absolutely funny!!!

Regards,
Newbie.

A

Ageing Parent

Thanks Newbie......the glasses are getting harder to see through........and I just wanted to see if anyone was actually out there looking/reading !!
Had to go back to work so won't see this afternoons matches unfortunately...hopefully someone else managed to grab the day off & can fill in the blanks.
A good start though - and let's hope the weather holds off for the next few days, we might see some great running rugby !
AP

A

Ageing Parent

Herewith link to the ARU site with current details etc regarding the tournament.

http://www.rugby.com.au/tryrugby/Playing/CompetitionsResults/Under16.aspx

Also a summary of results for Div 1 from Day 1 (sorry, the table didn't translate too well from the website !)
Australian Rugby Union
National U16 Championship » Division 1
Pool A W L D F A Df BP 4t BP <7p Pts
NSW Schools 1 0 0 48 19 29 1 0 5
QLD White 1 0 0 33 25 8 1 0 5
Victoria 0 1 0 25 33 -8 0 0 0
Brumbies 0 1 0 19 48 -29 0 0 0
W=Wins L=Losses D=Draws F=Points For A=Points Against Df=Points Difference BP 4t=Four Tries BP <7p=Close Losses Pts=Ladder Points

Pool B W L D F A Df BP 4t BP <7p Pts
QLD Red 1 0 0 72 3 69 1 0 5
Sydney Juniors 1 0 0 15 13 2 0 0 4
Western Australia 0 1 0 13 15 -2 0 1 1
NSW Country 0 1 0 3 72 -69 0 0 0
W=Wins L=Losses D=Draws F=Points For A=Points Against Df=Points Difference BP 4t=Four Tries BP <7p=Close Losses Pts=Ladder Points

Last Round Played: Match Day 1 - 26/09/2011
Home Team v Away Team Location Time
NSW Schools 48 v Brumbies 19 St Ignatius College Riverview / Oval 1 0930
Sydney Juniors 15 v Western Australia 13 St Ignatius College Riverview / Oval 1 1045
QLD Red 72 v NSW Country 3 St Ignatius College Riverview / Oval 1 1330
QLD White 33 v Victoria 25 St Ignatius College Riverview / Oval 1 1445

Next Round: Match Day 2 - 27/09/2011
Home Team v Away Team Location Time
Sydney Juniors v NSW Country St Ignatius College Riverview / Oval 2 1015
QLD White v Brumbies St Ignatius College Riverview / Oval 1 1330
QLD Red v Western Australia St Ignatius College Riverview / Oval 2 1415
NSW Schools v Victoria St Ignatius College Riverview / Oval 1 1445

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
A quick overview of the matches from my point of view. NSW Schools was very dominant. Forwards were great at the break down and allowed good ball to the backline who looked like they could score at every opportunity. Brumbies never quit and did get 3 tries. Schools switched to a kick happy game in the second half which was not as effective as the running game. I didn't think there were any real stand outs with everyone doing a job.

Sydney were not effective anywhere on the park and were lucky to escape with a win. WA had ball in hand and could have scored at the end. WA were up at one point. Nothing really in the forwards but Jones looked most likely in the backs. 4 or 5 injury concerns for Sydney as well including 2 stating backs and captain Orr.

QLD Red smashed country who were very lack luster. QLD looked very slick right through the team. Hard to know if they were being given a lot of time or creating it either way 72-3 was very one sided.

QLD White 33 beat Victoria 25 and this was a good even game with Victoria in the lead for the most part. Good arm wrestle of a game with the backs of Vic looking slick. There were a lot of turn overs from both sides which made it a little sloppy. Could have gone either way.

D

Dingdong

DD,

There are two players I am thinking about in this position, however if it is the same one, my understanding is Melbourne Storm are having a serious look at him (if an approach has not been made already).

At the trials with NSW Country there was a few interested News Limited ... sorry, sorry, 'MELBOURNE STORM' scouts (among others) watching on with interest ... lmao!

Regards,

The boy's name is Nigel. He had a great hit put on him about 10 mins in to the second half today against Queensland white which slowed him up bigtime. Up to that point he was an absolute stand out.

D

Dingdong

A quick overview of the matches from my point of view. NSW Schools was very dominant. Forwards were great at the break down and allowed good ball to the backline who looked like they could score at every opportunity. Brumbies never quit and did get 3 tries. Schools switched to a kick happy game in the second half which was not as effective as the running game. I didn't think there were any real stand outs with everyone doing a job.

Sydney were not effective anywhere on the park and were lucky to escape with a win. WA had ball in hand and could have scored at the end. WA were up at one point. Nothing really in the forwards but Jones looked most likely in the backs. 4 or 5 injury concerns for Sydney as well including 2 stating backs and captain Orr.

QLD Red smashed country who were very lack luster. QLD looked very slick right through the team. Hard to know if they were being given a lot of time or creating it either way 72-3 was very one sided.

QLD White 33 beat Victoria 25 and this was a good even game with Victoria in the lead for the most part. Good arm wrestle of a game with the backs of Vic looking slick. There were a lot of turn overs from both sides which made it a little sloppy. Could have gone either way.

Agree LT with your overview. I'ld have to say Queensland Red are looking the team to beat after today. They look to have strength across the park and play a very expansive game, shifting the ball reguarlly to attack thru different channels. I have players 3,5.6.7.9.10,12 and 15 noted as particuarlly good today for Red. Schools will be much better for the run today. Scoring tries doesn't seem to be a problem for them.... stopping tries however does. May well see another high scoring game V Victoria tomorrow.

M

McFlavour

Why dont they choose an Australian merit team or something like that at the end of tournament?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
They used to in the past and you can get some by googling, but I haven't seen a list on the Merit U/16 teams since Hooper, and then Gill, were in the Merit team and were singled out as the player of the respective tournaments.

Maybe they have a still have a Merit Team selection but haven't let anybody know, outside of attendees at the function at the end of the tournament.

If that is the case and anybody finds out please post the list.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Match Day 2 - 27/09/2011
Pool: Pool A
QLD White 22 v Brumbies 6
NSW Schools 19 v Victoria 8

Pool: Pool B
Sydney Juniors 36 v NSW Country 30
QLD Red 31 v Western Australia 12

Games on thur
NSW Schools v Qld white
Sydney Juniors v Qld Red

My tip Qld Red

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Overview of day 2 games.

Sydney did the same thing as the previous city country game, had a reasonable lead and then capitulated. Malaki I think scored 2 and had a good game. It could have gone either way with country leading by 1 with about 5 mins to go.

Qld white were always going to win over the Brumbies but they never looked overly convincing. Their Number 8 had a storming game and made a number of line breaks, looked like Malaki in a white jumper.

NSW Schools were always going to win over Victoria, but they looked like they left there energy in the sheds. Victoria were up for it and did a good job. In the first half I thought Schools number 9 ran a bit too much and took space away from the backline. Schools number 12 had a shocker compared to his efforts yesterday. There were many opportunities for quick short ball but they threw long balls instead and it wasn't the way today.

Qld Red look the goods and NSW will need to step up tomorrow to beat QLD White making a Red V's NSW Schools final.

Status
Not open for further replies.