• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Day 1 Results Summary (unofficial)
Qld Red 57 Vic 24
Qld White 36 NSW Country 8 (17-3 H/T)
Syd Juniors 37 ACT 15 (25-5 H/T to Jnrs)
NSW Schools 40 WA 3 (28-3 H/T)

Day 2 Summary (unofficial)
NSW Schools 33 NSW Country 17
Qld Red 22 Sydney Juniors 15
Victoria 45 ACT 5
Qld White 37 WA 15

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
I went down to Sydney for the day to watch a mate's son play for Qld Red v Sydney Juniors.

Unfortunately, it was a very scrappy game due to a combination of the very gusty conditions, a pedantic referee and teams with little cohesion at this point, but interesting at the same time.

For Qld, I thought Setu (15) was their best, with Luka (1) and Hewat (8) impressive as well. Most of the other Red players were at least reasonable, but it was a patchy performance and they will need to improve sharply to have any chance of taking the title.

I have to say, reluctantly, that Horan (10) had a shocker today, he missed touch 3 times from penalties, threw some poor passes and generally failed to provide the team with much-needed direction. To me he seems to lack confidence, but I've watched him play twice now without him impressing me.

Also, I'd be very surprised to see Pritchard (12) play again this week, his knee is very sore and it obviously affected his play today which in turn affected the functioning of the backline. Perese (13) also looks sore, he made some good busts, scored a try but missed some tackles and seemed to be limping through the second half.

The Juniors played pretty well, certainly they defended well, but my impression was that Qld could, and probably should, have put them away much more easily.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Qld Reds defeated Sydney Juniors 22-15. Bummer.

spent a few ruminative moments before posting a short view on this game.

I know there were a few frustrated Sydney supporters watching and portioning blame for a team performance that didn't display the lads at their best. This may or may not be fair but it does not give enough credit to the consistent and confident performance of the Queensland team that won the game.
It may also do a disservice to the entire Sydney squad that I am sure to the last gave what they could in pretty testing conditions.

The first half saw scoring go with territory. Queensland managed to achieve greater returns in that exchange. The Reds coming away with two tries as opposed to one unconverted try and a penalty to have a 12-8 lead at the interval.

I felt the Sydney pack won the set pieces well, demonstrated by their willingness to go to scrums as a penalty option. (Unfortunately I think this dominance cost some penalties for exceeding the u19 1.5 m push) Making optimal use of this dominance on these occasions was further missed today with some of the ball running from scrums lacking decisiveness or directness.
Any game plan seemed to get forgotten in the middle 15 minutes of the second half. option taking seemed a little scattered and poorly executed. The Sydney frustration was further displayed in the high number of conceded penalties. When thing are going right (wrong) was accentuated by the arrival of the southerly change that rounded nicely over the left shoulder of the reds. Given the advantage the Qld team now had I think they would have been disappointed to have not gained more than a two try advantage.
Sydney did rally in the final minutes to close the gap to seven. Given football is about taking your chances this score reflected the difference between the teams in this match. The one shot in the barrel has been spent and the score flatters no one.

for any disappointed parents, go read Rudyard Kipling and set an example

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
It may also do a disservice to the entire Sydney squad that I am sure to the last gave what they could in pretty testing conditions.

for any disappointed parents, go read Rudyard Kipling and set an example

from what have been told several players lost a few Kg in this match and have some significant re-hydrating to do. Are you meant to leave nothing on the paddock or take nothing from the paddock? I forget!
I don't know if anyone can force a bucket of sweat "to serve your turn long after it has gone!"
It's good tomorrow is a rest day

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
First WA V QLD White
Small-DSC03837.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.