• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Spectator - Thanks

OK - you do Qld Red v Juniors

Day 2 Tues 1st October - anybody for
10.15 am - Brumbies v Victoria
1.30pm - Qld White v WA
2.45 - NSW Schools v NSW Country

- or either Div II game?

Please advise.

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
I apologise profusely for my ignorance, however, can someone please answer these questions:
1. Can anyone turn up and watch the 16s tournament & the Oz games at Knox, ie are there limited entries (mainly for the Knox crowd)?
2. Do either of these tournaments cost entry fees?

Thanks, looking forward to watching some good rugby!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Knox game will be $5 pp entry. Not sure about kids (possibly free).

There should be plenty of seats available there.

Parking can be a bit of a bugger around Knox. Take the train. There is a station right next door.

Entry to Riverview is free. Plenty of parking. Plenty of space to stand/sit and watch. The Canteen does leave a bit to be desired and you may want to take your own nutrition.

abe01

Frank Nicholson (4)
The llyodies u16 team from last year leaves tommorow for a u17 tour to France and Belgium they play 3 games in France over the next 2 weeks

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Knox game will be $5 pp entry. Not sure about kids (possibly free).

There should be plenty of seats available there.

Parking can be a bit of a bugger around Knox. Take the train. There is a station right next door.

Entry to Riverview is free. Plenty of parking. Plenty of space to stand/sit and watch. The Canteen does leave a bit to be desired and you may want to take your own nutrition.

Thanks Hugh,

I'll be cheering on the NSW Country boys on Monday, and of course, the Aussies on the Tuesday.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tournament Numbers

Sydney Junior Rugby Union
1. Harry McLEANNAN
2. Tom HORTON
3. Will McRAE
4, Tom LEAVER
5. Elia FAATUI
6. Lachlan ANDERSON
7. Lochie SIMPSON
8. Cameron KING
9. Theo STRANG
10. Daniel ENGLAND
11. Lachlan HUGHES
12. James HAWKINS
13. Steven GIBSON
14. Fraser TOOHEY
15. Connor HURLEY

16. Cyprus TUTUNOA
17. Harrison CHAPMAN
18. Alex HANCOCK
19. Bailey DALTON
20. Louis HEATON
21. Ignace John VERU
22. Denzal LIGALIGA-TONSIE
23. Chris ORPEN

Injured/withdrawan
C. CLIFFORD
L. MILHAM

Coach: Jed HORGAN
Asst Coach: Gerard McLENAGHAN
Asst Coach: Jonathan WALSH
Manager: Greg McLAREN
Physio: Narelle VERVERKA
Trainer: Wally CARPENTER

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I was impressed by Fa'atui of Auggies in the Waratah Shield: he is going to be a considerable player if he can lift his work rate.

But who are the the other Juniors we should be watching in the tournament?

rip

Allen Oxlade (6)
I was impressed by Fa'atui of Auggies in the Waratah Shield: he is going to be a considerable player if he can lift his work rate.

But who are the the other Juniors we should be watching in the tournament?
Lee,

The Joeys forward trio of Horton, Leaver and Simpson would be worth keeping an eye on.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Surely there are some forum members who will be watching NSW Schools v NSW Country on Tuesday and can give a report of the game.

If you are a bit shy to do a formal report just write something in the forum about the game and I will pick some bits out of it.(I will be at Knox for the Oz Schools games.)

There is no need to give details of the scoring though you may like to write done the halftime and fulltime score - plus how many tries each team scored.

The other things to mention if you want to are: the flow and vibe of the game, strength and weaknesses of the teams.

Which players stood out. Just give the jersey numbers if you don't have a programme.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee,

The Joeys forward trio of Horton, Leaver and Simpson would be worth keeping an eye on.

Thanks, I didn't see a lot of U/16 rugby this year. Now I remember watching England and Orpen—they were handy in GPS.

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
The Spectator - Thanks

OK - you do Qld Red v Juniors

Day 2 Tues 1st October - anybody for
10.15 am - Brumbies v Victoria
1.30pm - Qld White v WA

- or either Div II game?

Please advise.

Lee,
I will be there to cover the games below and will post in the forum then you can take what you like from them. Do you have a link to any of your match reports so I can get a gist of what you are looking for.

Monday
10.45 Old White v NSW Country
14.45 NSW Schools v Western Australia

Tuesday
1.30pm - Qld White v WA

Thursday
10.45 NSW Country v Western Australia
14.45 NSW Schools v Qld White

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Four players ? of From this team played 1st XV for their respective ISA school teams I think, matching it in an u/18s comp should hold them in reasonable light here

1 Pius
1 Oak Hill
2 From St Augustines

may need checking for accuracy

RugbyMan5

Frank Row (1)
donj and fireball, I think that the Lloyd McDermott Package does a very good job to encourage indigenous kids in rugby. Many of the kids in their programme are dual coders and a fair few are from non-traditional rugby areas.

Arthur Curry at St Gregs has played for LLoydies and made ISA I and NSW II this year in open Footy, as well as playing in the Aust Youth Olympics 7 aside team. Moses Sorevi, captain of QLD II at Aust Open Schoolboys tournament, was one who was selected initially in the Lloydies but chose to play for the State. He has made the Aust Schoolboys on his merits. There are some wonderfully talented rugby playing schoolboys, who happen to be indigenous, probably should be more.

I don't want to shut down a valid debate, and I am more guilty than most of wandering off topic from time to time on these threads but I reckon that there may be some merit in one of you raising a thread to discuss Indigenous Rugby and The Lloyd McDermott Development Squad. You have raised some good points about the challenges posed in attracting and retaining talented indigenous athletes in rugby that are probably worthy of taking further.

The Lloyd McDermott Team have won the U16 Division 2 Championships 6 times over the past 7 years, surely this shows they are a talented team and are worthy of a shot in playing in Division 1 in future years. If this was to happen hopefully it would raise the profile of rugby union in the Indigenous community and attract new players.

The boys who are exposed to playing in the Division 1 competition do exceptionally well for example, last years Australian Schools team was captained by Mitch Whiteley and also contained John Porch who both are Indigenous. This years selection of Moses Sorevi reiterates that Indigenous boys are more than capable of playing the highest level of schoolboy rugby.

FYI - Harrison Goddard (who is only 15 years old) is in this years NSW Schools 16's team, also faced the same dilemma that Arthur Curry did and selected NSW Schools over the possibility of playing for the Lloyd McDermott Team. Queensland, NT, NSW Country & WA usually have a consistent representation of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander players in there team.This portrays that there is a good number of Indigenous players who are talented enough to play at a National level.

rip

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Lloyd McDermott Team have won the U16 Division 2 Championships 6 times over the past 7 years, surely this shows they are a talented team and are worthy of a shot in playing in Division 1 in future years. If this was to happen hopefully it would raise the profile of rugby union in the Indigenous community and attract new players.

The boys who are exposed to playing in the Division 1 competition do exceptionally well for example, last years Australian Schools team was captained by Mitch Whiteley and also contained John Porch who both are Indigenous. This years selection of Moses Sorevi reiterates that Indigenous boys are more than capable of playing the highest level of schoolboy rugby.

FYI - Harrison Goddard (who is only 15 years old) is in this years NSW Schools 16's team, also faced the same dilemma that Arthur Curry did and selected NSW Schools over the possibility of playing for the Lloyd McDermott Team. Queensland, NT, NSW Country & WA usually have a consistent representation of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander players in there team.This portrays that there is a good number of Indigenous players who are talented enough to play at a National level.

My thoughts would be that Harrison should play with the Lloyd McDermott team this year as he is only 15 years of age or under age thus allowing an under 16 year old boy whether he be Indigenous or not to be given a chance at playing in his own age championship...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee,
I will be there to cover the games below and will post in the forum then you can take what you like from them. Do you have a link to any of your match reports so I can get a gist of what you are looking for.

Monday
10.45 Old White v NSW Country Please do
14.45 NSW Schools v Western Australia Tahs Park is doing this but please make as many comments about the game in the forum as you can

Tuesday
1.30pm - Qld White v WA Please do
2.45 - NSW Schools v NSW Country Please do

Thursday
10.45 NSW Country v Western Australia Tahs Park is doing this but please make as many comments about the game in the forum as you can

14.45 NSW Schools v Qld White George Smith is doing this but please make as many comments about the game in the forum as you can

Fantastic - I have written comments besides the matches. I have some of the games covered but sometimes people's plans change and it's good to have backup comments just in case.

The most important matches for you to cover are the ones on Tuesday.

Thanks a lot Top Cat. I was aware of your video activitity and wondered if you could cover both that and reports.

PS - as to the format—tournament matches are different from the schools matches we usually cover week to week.

There are some general guidelines earlier in the thread in post #106 in this thread. Use this link:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/national-u-16-championships-2013.13121/page-6

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
sarcophilus

Thank you for your advice about the timetable errors. I deleted your post (and my earlier one) because the games are now covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.