• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

rip

Allen Oxlade (6)
no not lost to union gladly. i predict we will see him in the joeys 1st XV next year. i don't think we are seeing anything as crass as racism here, i just think there is a cultural issue. some of the creativity, flair and spontaneity of the indigenous boys may not be as appreciated as it should be in the more structured game of rugby. rugby's loss though.imagine a wallabies with thurston, inglis, hodges, barba, fifita, et al.
donji,
In order to be selected in the representative teams you need to put your hand up. Dylan did not make himself available for selection thus he was not selected

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So did any of these boys try out for Lloydies, or does Joeys not allow that to happen?

I think you need to be at the National Indigenous Champs to be selected for Lloydies. This typically happens over a weekend smack bang in the middle of AAGPS footy.

If these boys are as talented as you say they are, they would benefit from the development opportunities available by being in the Lloyd McDermott team at Nationals.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
fair point. i don't know whether dylan did or didn't put his hand up, i know he was playing nsw rugby league at around that time. but that isn't really what i'm talking about, he is just one example. i think it is undeniable that rugby has done a poor job of nurturing indigenous talent. it is rugby's loss and the game needs to have a good hard look at why. or of course we could satisfy ourselves with wallabies teams like we have running around now.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
donj, when you hit the reply option on the thread, just keep typing under the text that appears in the reply box (after the words "[\quote]), and before you hit the "post reply button".

That way your response is attached directly below the text you are replying to, and you save yourself two posts.

F

fireball

this is a worthwhile discussion. the current kangaroos side includes, thurston, thaiday, fifita, hodges, inglis, five out of the starting 13 all indigenous. as a rugby fan that saddens me that our game isn't tapping into this talent pool and we need to start developing these kids or lose another generation.

The Spectator

Herbert Moran (7)
Given the school has an indigenous program I doubt whether there is a selection conspiracy. Part of the problem is not passing to players in better positions.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
donj and fireball, I think that the Lloyd McDermott Package does a very good job to encourage indigenous kids in rugby. Many of the kids in their programme are dual coders and a fair few are from non-traditional rugby areas.

Arthur Curry at St Gregs has played for LLoydies and made ISA I and NSW II this year in open Footy, as well as playing in the Aust Youth Olympics 7 aside team. Moses Sorevi, captain of QLD II at Aust Open Schoolboys tournament, was one who was selected initially in the Lloydies but chose to play for the State. He has made the Aust Schoolboys on his merits. There are some wonderfully talented rugby playing schoolboys, who happen to be indigenous, probably should be more.

I don't want to shut down a valid debate, and I am more guilty than most of wandering off topic from time to time on these threads but I reckon that there may be some merit in one of you raising a thread to discuss Indigenous Rugby and The Lloyd McDermott Development Squad. You have raised some good points about the challenges posed in attracting and retaining talented indigenous athletes in rugby that are probably worthy of taking further.

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Would forum members please let me know if they are attending matches at the Oz U/16 Championships and are willing to write a match report or two on some of the matches.

They need not be full-blown reports as we had every week for the GPS matches just the vibe of the flow of the game - the half-time score and full time score.

Who scored what try is not so important though you might want to write about some impressive movements or an exciting finish if you want to, or some other part of the game you found interesting.

Also give a mention about who stood out as being a likely star player after this year.

If a few people can do one match a day, or every other day, we can spread the work out and give a decent coverage for folks who can't be in Sydney to watch the Championships.

The reports don't have to be long - about 350 words will do. It's not as many as you would think.

This post already has 180 words.
Lee,
I will be there and filming but mostly the NSW Country games. As I will be looking through a viewfinder I don't really get to follow the games too well until I sit back and review them later. I will see what I can do about match reports but they will not be till later in the evening as we will be travelling back and forth most days.

More than happy to post the scores at half and full time.

Does anyone know the file size limits as I would be happy to post some videos of any spectacular plays. I will be videoing in full HD so I will have to encode them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The trick Top Cat is to post the video on You tube (don't ask me how to do that, ask any 14 year old and they will know), and then you just post a link to the you tube media here, using the attach media icon (looks like a film strip) above.

PS. don't worry too much if you miss some action with your camera. There will be a "professional" videographer there selling copies of the game (generally available very soon after the games) for about $20 per game. These will have the referee mike as the sound track.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
2013 Program

Aust U16s Champs.jpg

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee,
I will be there and filming but mostly the NSW Country games. As I will be looking through a viewfinder I don't really get to follow the games too well until I sit back and review them later. I will see what I can do about match reports but they will not be till later in the evening as we will be travelling back and forth most days.

The same evening is no problem compared to having nothing. See next post - maybe someone will volunteer for the NSW Schools v NSW Country because it would be hard for you to do go home, do your video thingo and also do a report by midnight.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Match reports for Day 2 Tuesday 1st October.

There is a conflict of Schools fixtures because Oz A Schools and Oz Schools are playing at Knox, starting at 1pm. Bummer.

Since I will be at the Knox games, as will "Hugh Jarse" and "George Smith", Day 2 could be a washout unless we have more volunteers to write.

The Division One games on that day are:
10.15am - Brumbies v Victoria (Oval 2)
1.30pm - Qld White v WA (Oval 1)
2.15pm - Qld Red v Sydney Juniors (Oval 2)
2.45pm - NSW Schools v NSW Country (Oval 1)

Divsion Two games
9.30am - National Indigenous v. Tasmania (Oval 1)
10.45 - South Australia v NT (Oval 1)

Pretty please volunteer, because there are people who don't live in Sydney, or have to work, who would like to read something more than a scoreline in the paper.

Thanks

Lee Grant

The Spectator

Herbert Moran (7)
Match reports for Day 2 Tuesday 1st October.

Pretty please volunteer, because there are people who don't live in Sydney, or have to work, who would like to read something more than a scoreline in the paper.

Thanks

Lee Grant

I can cover the Qld Red vs Sydney on Tuesday; possibly the NSW Schools vs Country.

The Spectator

Herbert Moran (7)
They ran the ACT boys around in Albury a while back.wouldn't be so sure of their substandard levels.

Sorry, didn't mean they were sub standard at all. Had heard they had beaten ACT so are definitely in the hunt but as Sydney are playing Reds on Tuesday it was more a vested interest comment!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I can cover the Qld Red vs Sydney on Tuesday; possibly the NSW Schools vs Country.

Thank you but actually you can't do both because they are on different Ovals and the times are staggered.

I have you hired for the first one - or is the NSW Schools v Country game the one you really wanted to watch without having to write a report on it.

Please advise.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
that would make sense. there is not one indigenous boy (to my knowledge) in either nsw schools or sydney and frankly that is appalling. rugby lets good indigenous kids slip through their grasp time and again, it is as bad as cricket. i know of several who were stars in gps at this age group.where are they? if you look at the numbers of indigenous boys in the nrl and in league junior rep sides rugby's failure is inexcusable. it certainly isn't talent that is holding them back. no wonder they go to rugby league. go the lloydies!

I dont think they are ignored from rugby. The nsw schools and Sydney have trial days or events where the players are selected. unfortunately, these do clash with league events, and if the players do not turn up, they are not selected. I think where league have the upper hand is the NRL clubs and the more talented players are picked up by these clubs. Thats a pretty big carrot, one that rugby cannot match. The Lloyd's do a magnificent job, and certainly put on a show at the nationals, but like Hugh, i wonder if they would be upto the mark in Div 1. But, let them have a go, maybe at the expense of Country.
Watched a kid last year in Lloyd's, ...watson, outstanding, think he is at knox now, but souths showing great interest i believe.

The Spectator

Herbert Moran (7)
Sydney vs Reds is the one I want to watch but was going to run at breakneck speed (or drive) to watch the second game (or at least the second half).

Status
Not open for further replies.