• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some more deets on Siler Lake's intentions.....

Details of the proposed $465 million New Zealand Rugby-Silver Lake deal are beginning to emerge, with the US-based investment company targeting a huge global pool of more than 60 million potential All Blacks fans who don't yet spend any money on the brand.

The enormous global pool of potential supporters (and customers) is likely to have driven Silver Lake's $3.1 billion valuation of NZ Rugby's commercial arm, sources said, with $465m representing the 15 per cent share that it has offered to buy.

The private equity firm's belief is that it can reach those global supporters far more effectively than NZ Rugby can, with its experience in building the UFC juggernaut helping to cement that belief.

Tapping into overseas markets has long been an ambition for NZ Rugby, with the inability to earn a cent from money-spinning tests in England – one of the few times rugby grabs serious media coverage in the UK – one enduring frustration.

However, there is a belief that Silver Lake's expertise can change the picture, with Japan' and the USA seen as particular markets of interest.

Also talks about Silver Lake setting up an Auckland office to manage marketing and, presumably, liaise with NZR.

Finally, much of the initial cash injection would be into grassroots and youth level as well.

Stuff also understands that if the deal goes ahead, there will be an instant outlay at the grassroots level, with NZ Rugby's presentation to rugby stakeholders this week recognising the importance of re-engaging young New Zealanders.

There is recognition from NZ Rugby that the national game now has to fight for the attention of young fans, with basketball and entertainment options such as Esports increasingly popular.

Worryingly, Stuff has been told that the average age of a fan who attends a Super Rugby game is about 44 years old, a figure that spells trouble for the game if the underlying reasons are ignored.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-all-blacks-fans-for-huge-global-revenue-push

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
targeting a huge global pool of more than 60 million potential All Blacks fans who don't yet spend any money on the brand.

The enormous global pool of potential supporters (and customers) is likely to have driven Silver Lake's $3.1 billion valuation of NZ Rugby's commercial arm

That brand valuation aint gonna stay at $3 billion dollars for long if they keep selecting Scrote Barrett and Jordie the Winger so 60 million new fans can tune in to watch the All Blacks lose to Ireland and fucking Argentina.....

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
That brand valuation aint gonna stay at $3 billion dollars for long if they keep selecting Scrote Barrett and Jordie the Winger so 60 million new fans can tune in to watch the All Blacks lose to Ireland and fucking Argentina...

Tell you what DP, Silver Lake etc know the general new fans are there regardless who is in team and not going to disappear if they drop a few tests. Don't know if you know how Manchester United is going these days, but they still one of top brands in world like ABs. They not even really interested in NZ market I imagine , so a few Barrett haters won't even come into their calculations.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...nt-nz-rugbys-bigpicture-plan-to-save-the-game
How does a rugby union become a landlord? It buys the stadium it plays in, just as Twickenham has become an earnings juggernaut for the RFU in England.
That would require NZ Rugby to hold most, if not all, home tests at their own stadium, effectively turning Eden Park – or an alternative – into the national stadium.

giphy.gif

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Retallicka might be done following 2023.

"I'm looking forward to, if all goes to plan, getting back to the All Blacks and playing two seasons for the Chiefs," Retallick, who was born and raised in Canterbury but initially made his mark with the Chiefs when Dave Rennie was coach, told The XV.

"Realistically, they'll probably be the last couple in New Zealand before I decide what I'll do next, whether that's hanging up the boots or maybe coming back to Japan.

"I have a rough idea in my head on how I plan on doing the last third of my career, or whatever you want to call it. Whether that goes to plan or whether I have a change of mind, I'm not sure. But I've got a family and a wife and kids and stuff, so you have to think about these things."

"When I arrived at the Chiefs, and from there, making the All Blacks, those first five or six years were pretty full-on – I played a lot of rugby," Retallick told The XV.

"I'd sometimes joke with people, they'd say to me, 'Oh, you're not that old' and I'd say, 'Yes, but I've played a lot of rugby.

"Looking back over the last two or three years, I don't know whether those sorts of injuries that started to catch up on me were a price of playing a lot of rugby in those early years or not, I'm not sure. But coming to Japan was definitely a result of how much rugby I played in those first five or six years."

"I've never really honestly considered the Northern Hemisphere," he said. "It was either stay in New Zealand or come to Japan. Obviously, you never say never, but we've thoroughly enjoyed our time in Japan and the Kobelco Steelers have been awesome to us with all their support and stuff. So yes, I'm not going to say no, but I'm not probably looking to go there at all really."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...lick-hints-at-retirement-after-2023-world-cup

Certainly can't blame him for wanting to essentially limit the damage. If he did head to Japan, I wonder if he might try a cheeky Nonu/Kaino in 2026/27? He'd be 35/36 but playing at the lower intensity of Japan, and maybe the odd match here and there for whatever is to come with Super Rugby, may just keep him in the hunt.

Also, ngl it was a shock to read that he's been an All Black for nine years. Certainly doesn't seem that long to me. Compare that to Richie who, to me, seemed to have been an All Black since about 1066. The amount of (stellar) rugby he played at the start of his career, and those post-2015 injuries he mentioned, probably played a role in that. Still a great player, but he was obnoxiously OP from ~2012-2015.

EDIT: See now Whitelock has "only" been an All Black for 11 years. Prior to checking the dates out I'd have sword that there was more like four years between their debut's instead of two.

EDIT 2: I've since come to the conclusion that Whitelock debuting just before the 2011 RWC, and Retallick just after, is what's throwing me.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Certainly more manageable for a halfback than most other positions. If he can maintain something like ~80% performance by 2023 then a Fakatava/Smith combo would hardly be the worst setup.

Especially if the likes of Aumua, Akira/Grace, and Sotutu are embedded in the starting pack by then.....

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
AB 1st 5 Watch; Line of Succession:

1 R.Mounga
2 O.Black
3 B.Barrett
4 K.Trask seems to have a skillset that might translate well at next level up
5 J.Ioane ffs looks to have eaten his way out of squaddie status
6 A.Cruden
7 King Carlos
8 D.Mac

di_05812.jpg

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
AB 1st 5 Watch; Line of Succession:

1 R.Mounga
2 O.Black
3 B.Barrett
4 K.Trask seems to have a skillset that might translate well at next level up
5 J.Ioane ffs looks to have eaten his way out of squaddie status
6 A.Cruden
7 King Carlos
8 D.Mac

[Quote

Think DMac looked a lot better than a few tonight.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Current Soup Rugby form relegates us to an entire test season of Jordie and Dmac in black.

On the bright side, I have a feeling the AB selectors will do a leftfield Vaai selection and have a look at Big Red at 6 ahead of the other trendier options.....

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Current Soup Rugby form relegates us to an entire test season of Jordie and Dmac in black.

On the bright side, I have a feeling the AB selectors will do a leftfield Vaai selection and have a look at Big Red at 6 ahead of the other trendier options...

Would like to see big Red get a run, him, Frizzell and Jacobson with Grace, Sotutu will get 6 and 8 positions on form from last few games. Though a bit early to call it.