• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don't quite follow. How many students did the IB - 80 or 39?
Irrespective of the quantity, the quality looks very impressive.

What do IB graduates go on to after school - similar to HSC students?

Typo corrected

Similar to HSC students. I'm not exactly sure why the school offers both. I have been told that it suits some students as it involves more independent learning, but I'm not sure how much if any difference it would make to final results.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hello Quick Hands

Hope you had a good Xmas and a Happy New Year, I am just wondering any news/results on how the NEW 16As went on their UK Rugby Tour. The experience, I am sure will contribute to the respective strengths of our 1st & 2nds for 2019. Also, I am wondering if you know the number of returning players in the 1sts and even in the 2nds.

I could be wrong, but I have a gut feeling that NEW 1sts could be something of a Dark Horse in GPS Rugby this year. Have rated them 4 or 5 in the competition for this year, but like last year they could prove to be giant killers on their day. As I believe they have some exiting backs.

Oh, by the way I hope your boy has great year in the 15s.He is in a very strong age group, particularly the A team and hopefully they will once again have a another strong season. My hope is that, his age group will form the foundations of a strong open division and 1sts in 2021& 2022.

Regards

B&W

16s toured Ireland back in the October holidays and they played 4 games

Game 1 defeated St Michael's Dublin 54-17
Game 2 lost to Royal Belfast Academical Institute 12-14
Game 3 defeated Waterpark College Waterford 54-7
Game 4 lost to Blackrock College 10-14

I'm told that Blackrock and RBAI are amongst the strongest rugby schools in Ireland, but I'm happy to be corrected by anyone more expert on Irish schoolboy rugby.

Think that more than half of the 1sts are back for 2019, not sure on 2nds and obviously a strong 16A contingent will add strength.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
16s toured Ireland back in the October holidays and they played 4 games

Game 1 defeated St Michael's Dublin 54-17
Game 2 lost to Royal Belfast Academical Institute 12-14
Game 3 defeated Waterpark College Waterford 54-7
Game 4 lost to Blackrock College 10-14

I'm told that Blackrock and RBAI are amongst the strongest rugby schools in Ireland, but I'm happy to be corrected by anyone more expert on Irish schoolboy rugb

Think that more than half of the 1sts are back for 2019, not sure on 2nds and obviously a strong 16A contingent will add strength.
Once again QH, my deep appreciation for those results and yes, Black Rock was described by the last Rugby Master at Newington, who I believe was also the Rugby Master at Black Rock College as '"Joeys on Steroids".Their nick name is the "Rock". If the " Order of the Holy Ghosts" want to ever build an Australian version of the "Rock" here in NSW or Queensland, our Schoolboy Rugby would benefit immeasurably.

The Royal Belfast Academical Institute, I believe is something like our Sydney Grammar. But unlike Grammar they do not use Academic Excellence as an excuse for poor Rugby standards and participation. As Rugby in the UK, is a signature sport that espouses gentrified notions, of professional and academic achievement. In other words both can exist together, side by side and should.

So hopefully, this tour will have improved the skills of our 16s, that could lead to a few upset wins over the some of the more highly rated sides.It could prove to be a much closer competition in 2019, than what we expect.

Again,QH, my deep appreciation for those results.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Maybe we could same thing about another school
C'mon..you were all thinking it!
Wingers like this do not grow naturally.

He actually meant it as a complement, referring to their passion, intensity and commitment to the game of rugby. Hence, the Joeys reference was used as a benchmark as to the type of Rugby school Black Rock College is. Nothing about drug use. But if it was taken that way, my apologies to you Joker and Joeys.

As for the picture above, if its a certain winger that played in 2017&2018, I will not to comment, other that he was from my observation in match against Newington, was as mad as a snake that day.

6_8114543.jpg
[ 2018 /quote]

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Once again QH, my deep appreciation for those results and yes, Black Rock was described by the last Rugby Master at Newington, who I believe was also the Rugby Master at Black Rock College as '"Joeys on Steroids".Their nick name is the "Rock". If the " Order of the Holy Ghosts" want to ever build an Australian version of the "Rock" here in NSW or Queensland, our Schoolboy Rugby would benefit immeasurably.

The Royal Belfast Academical Institute, I believe is something like our Sydney Grammar. But unlike Grammar they do not use Academic Excellence as an excuse for poor Rugby standards and participation. As Rugby in the UK, is a signature sport that espouses gentrified notions, of professional and academic achievement. In other words both can exist together, side by side and should.

So hopefully, this tour will have improved the skills of our 16s, that could lead to a few upset wins over the some of the more highly rated sides.It could prove to be a much closer competition in 2019, than what we expect.

Again,QH, my deep appreciation for those results.

No worries.

Anything run by an organisation known as the Order of the Holy Ghost has an inbuilt fear factor.:)

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Does anyone know who is coaching the newington 1st XV now that Gill has left?

I suspect it will not be Lachlan Fear, as the new director of Rugby he will preoccupied with managing Newington's every expanding Rugby Program.Who ever is chosen will inherit a team that has both youth and experience. I believe he will have some talented backs to work with. Although, not rated as premiership contenders they could pull off some upsets and throw the competition into anything, but a clear cut race.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Very surprised at this ICSEA "ranking". All schools (apart from High) charge almost exactly the same fees, based on this, a casual observation of the demographics of GPS schools plus my own experience (educated at Newington with current family members at Grammar, King's and Scots), I would have thought most of the schools would have ranked about the same with High being at the bottom with possibly King's or Shore at the top and all others (except High) roughly the same. Or is something else at play at Newington....

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Also I just checked the my school website which says 99% of students at Trinity Grammar come from a non English speaking background. 99%! Are these my school website stats correct (noting it says the ICSEA rating is based on parents information..are we now presuming everyone is honest about their taxable income?).

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
wow ... what an effort for Will Harris. Without wanting to put the mocka on him ... when I first saw him ... I thought he looked like a young Tim Gavin ... and I thought he was a dead cert for Aussie Schools .. and I was right on that .

So a young Tim Gavin ... only with a bigger work rate. Australia needs players like him! Is he a country kid?

Has anyone any intell on the year 9 $cots kid (now year 10) that I gather was air-lifted (by director of rugby) from Glengarry for the final game against Kings but apparently didn't play?

I gather he has big wraps ....so no doubt will be one to watch in 2019.

When are the first trial games? Cricket so friggen boring ... waiting for rugby ... going to be a big year :)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Very surprised at this ICSEA "ranking". All schools (apart from High) charge almost exactly the same fees, based on this, a casual observation of the demographics of GPS schools plus my own experience (educated at Newington with current family members at Grammar, King's and Scots), I would have thought most of the schools would have ranked about the same with High being at the bottom with possibly King's or Shore at the top and all others (except High) roughly the same. Or is something else at play at Newington..

Nothing else is at play anywhere. The facts are just the facts. ICSEA measures more income, it also measures level of education of parents etc.

The fees are probably the same because the cost of education is roughly the same and they are in competition with each other for students.

EDIT: There's plenty of wealthy people who choose to send their kids to state selective schools rather than private schools (particularly if sport isn't of interest to the parents). Probably one of the reasons that they are still wealthy.;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Has anyone any intell on the year 9 $cots kid (now year 10) that I gather was air-lifted (by director of rugby) from Glengarry for the final game against Kings but apparently didn't play?

I gather he has big wraps ..so no doubt will be one to watch in 2019.

When are the first trial games? Cricket so friggen boring . waiting for rugby . going to be a big year :)

Airlifted?

It's barely a two hour drive from Glengarry to Bellevue Hill.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
When are the first trial games? Cricket so friggen boring . waiting for rugby . going to be a big year :)

GPS winter sport begins on March 30 - mostly internal trials and the Grammar 10s.

1st inter-school trials are set down for May 4

J v B/OH
I v S
K v STAG/H
E v SSC/W
Kn v N
SAC v G
KWS v A

Assume that those not mentioned internal.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
My point was that if fees are the same why doesn't say, Shore and Newington have about the ranking? Are the parents of Grammar students really that much wealthier than the parents at Joeys (many of whom pay boarding fees which hare almost double the Grammar day boy only fees). I would assume you would need to be in the top 25% income earning quarter to pay approx. 32k a year of fees so how are the 47% of parents at New who are not in the top quarter affording the fees?

Rippa

Peter Burge (5)
My point was that if fees are the same why doesn't say, Shore and Newington have about the ranking? Are the parents of Grammar students really that much wealthier than the parents at Joeys (many of whom pay boarding fees which hare almost double the Grammar day boy only fees). I would assume you would need to be in the top 25% income earning quarter to pay approx. 32k a year of fees so how are the 47% of parents at New who are not in the top quarter affording the fees?
Dragon man I can answer that question the 47% of parents who have sons at New are smarter and work harder than the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.