• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yep I’m aware of this and agree that it’s the best predictor. There’s not a whole lot of difference between the GPS schools with the exception of New and Joeys. Of course the data from the My Schools website doesn’t point out how large the wealth gap has to be before it has a statistically significant effect on HSC results.

I'd like to bet that all the schools in the top 20 (including the state schools) are also at the top end of ICSEA

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sydney University is introducing HSC Mathematics (band 4 minimum) as a prerequisite for 2019 in economics, commerce, computing, engineering and IT, medicine, psychology, pharmacy, veterinary science and science.
Many of the 2018 rugby players will have had this in mind during subject selection.
Good luck boys. You will find Uni quite different to the HSC at a GPS school.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sydney University is introducing HSC Mathematics (band 4 minimum) as a prerequisite for 2019 in economics, commerce, computing, engineering and IT, medicine, psychology, pharmacy, veterinary science and science.
Many of the 2018 rugby players will have had this in mind during subject selection.
Good luck boys. You will find Uni quite different to the HSC at a GPS school.

They've all realised that going on ATAR alone is a flawed method of admission and are reintroducing prerequisites such as this.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Ok, back to rugby....... Here is my prediction for the 1st xv

1) Scots
2) Riverview & Kings
3) Joey's
4) Shore
5) Newington

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
giphy.gif

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Ok, back to rugby... Here is my prediction for the 1st xv

1) Scots
2) Riverview & Kings
3) Joey's
4) Shore
5) Newington

1/Joeys
2/Scots
3/Riverview
4/Newington or Kings
6/Shore
With the exception of Shore, all 5 schools had very strong had very strong 16A sides from what I seen. Newington have a number of players returning from last year, who were pulled from last years 16As. I think the number was 3 or 4. But I believe one reason for their inconsistency in results last year, was inexperience throughout the team.

I expect Joeys will continue with their revival in 2019 as a major power in GPS Rugby.Enormous depth to draw upon.
Scots will be eager to prove last year was aberration and will be the most likely school, to challenge Joeys. Expect them to have lots of depth and talent
View will have two strong age groups in this years open division. Another school that will possess ample depth.
Newington, will have a number of talented players who will have the benefit of a year's experience.But, will lack depth. I expect they will only field 6 teams in the opens.
Kings, will have a match winner in bigger Joey, as he is a big fast, strong and real class. and only 16. I don't know anything about the players around him.I also believe they have a contracted player to Parramatta. I have been told, also that Jason Little's son could be a player to watch. If he is anything like his father, this ranking could easily change.
Shore, will struggle but, I expect them to competitive and do themselves proud.

I am sure these ranking will change as the season progresses.But I expect the two most definite at present, are Joeys at 1 and Shore at 6.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Also back for Kings, having in 2018 played 1st XV and made Australian 7s or 15s team are 12. Will Penisini 11. Jordan Williams and 15. Johnny Connolly.

My predictions:

1. Joeys
2. Kings
3. Scots
4/5. View and New
6. Shore

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
A very happy new year to you all.
Predictions already I see.
No surprises for guessing who Joker fancies through his single eye.
However my money this year is on Kings.
Strength across the paddock and a couple of real stars returning.
They will be closely challenged by the boys from Bellevue Hill.
Joeys alas will be mid table assuming the form of the last decade or so.
The order:
1. Kings
2. Scots
3. Joeys
4. Riverview
5. Newington
6. Shore
You heard it here first!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Nothing much between the top 5 in reality based on 16A results/form from 2018 and returning 1sts players from 2018.

Much will depend on injuries during the extended trial season and how quickly combinations form.

Alas Shore 16As 2018/15As 2017 won't bring much to the boys already in the open age group based on previous results.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
GPS Academic Premiership Table for 2018
Position in state

The Armidale School 177th (down from 166th) Sheep and cattle don't need algebra it seems

Baaaa! We believe in the balanced man, oops girls too! Actually, TAS did ok looking at the detail. I am not a great believer in HSC pecking orders. It's what happens later that counts.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Yep I’m aware of this and agree that it’s the best predictor. There’s not a whole lot of difference between the GPS schools with the exception of New and Joeys. Of course the data from the My Schools website doesn’t point out how large the wealth gap has to be before it has a statistically significant effect on HSC results.

The TAS score is 1082, 43% in the top quarter, so on that measure the most "disadvantaged"

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Christmas Jolly's to ponder..an oldie but a goodie.
How many students does it take to change a lightbulb?

Scots College- Three. One to mix the protein shakes, one to turn off the hyperbaric chamber and one to phone the electrician.

Sydney Grammar - Twelve. One to change the bulb and 11 to crack under the pressure.

Kings - Two. One to change the globe faster than anyone in the GPS and one to show him around the school afterwards.

Shore - Sixteen. One to send out the invitations, two to get the beer, one to change the bulb, one to buy Ralph Lauren polos for everyone, two to smuggle the chicks in and one to keep watch for the boarding master. The second eight just need to be ready to back them up.

Joey's - Fifteen. It's not that one's not smart enough, it's just that they're a team and they have to form a line out and get the backs into position.

Riverview - Three. One to put in a formal complaint about the imposition, one to change the bulb and one to make the observation that it isn't half as bright as the light shining from their arses.

Sydney High- The whole school- one to make the ladder, one to make a better ladder, then they can argue about who's ladder is best. Meanwhile, a third person climbs both ladders at once, a fourth one then hands them a globe that they made in science, the musos provide the entertainment for the event, and the rest of the school stand around arguing about who's religion/subculture/political party/footy team/race/denomination is better

Newington College - Fifteen. One to change it and the rest to walk around as if they own the place and talk it up.

TAS one. Just get the bloody thing done!

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Nothing much between the top 5 in reality based on 16A results/form from 2018 and returning 1sts players from 2018.

Much will depend on injuries during the extended trial season and how quickly combinations form.

Alas Shore 16As 2018/15As 2017 won't bring much to the boys already in the open age group based on previous results.

Hello Quick Hands

Hope you had a good Xmas and a Happy New Year, I am just wondering any news/results on how the NEW 16As went on their UK Rugby Tour. The experience, I am sure will contribute to the respective strengths of our 1st & 2nds for 2019. Also, I am wondering if you know the number of returning players in the 1sts and even in the 2nds.

I could be wrong, but I have a gut feeling that NEW 1sts could be something of a Dark Horse in GPS Rugby this year. Have rated them 4 or 5 in the competition for this year, but like last year they could prove to be giant killers on their day. As I believe they have some exiting backs.

Oh, by the way I hope your boy has great year in the 15s.He is in a very strong age group, particularly the A team and hopefully they will once again have a another strong season. My hope is that, his age group will form the foundations of a strong open division and 1sts in 2021& 2022.

Regards

B&W

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
GPS Academic Premiership Table for 2018
Position in state

Sydney Grammar 3rd (up from 6th) selective but a stellar result

Sydney Boys High 7th (down from 5th) selective and was expected

Shore 22nd (up from 34th) Well done the Shoremen! Now just get that rugby right.

Kings 41st (down from 32nd) Too much grazing, not enough studying. New Principal would be worried.

Scots College 53rd (up from 77th) Great results! Principal must have given some academic scholarships for a change

St Ignatius 61 (down from 46th) Big drop for the Lane Cove lads. Jesuits would not be happy

St Joseph's College 79th (down from 77th) Maintains the level from best ever result in 2017. Rugby focused still.

Newington College 98th (down from 88th) Do they need to focus on academic scholarships in 2019? EDIT- Newington's best do the IB. Hence this accounts for these results. Apologies to Newington folk.

The Armidale School 177th (down from 166th) Sheep and cattle don't need algebra it seems

For the sake of completeness, out of 39 Newington students who sat for the IB instead of the HSC

• 20 per cent of our 39 IB students scored above 42 (the equivalent of a 99.4 ATAR);
• 35 per cent of the cohort scored above 40 (the equivalent of a 98.25 ATAR);
• 83 per cent of IB students achieved a mark that is the ATAR equivalent of 90 or over.

https://www.newington.nsw.edu.au/stanmore/latest-results-ib/

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
For the sake of completeness, out of 80 Newington students who sat for the IB instead of the HSC

• 20 per cent of our 39 IB students scored above 42 (the equivalent of a 99.4 ATAR);
• 35 per cent of the cohort scored above 40 (the equivalent of a 98.25 ATAR);
• 83 per cent of IB students achieved a mark that is the ATAR equivalent of 90 or over.

https://www.newington.nsw.edu.au/stanmore/latest-results-ib/

I don't quite follow. How many students did the IB - 80 or 39?
Irrespective of the quantity, the quality looks very impressive.

What do IB graduates go on to after school - similar to HSC students?

Status
Not open for further replies.