• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

T

The Hammer

This snowballs into less effort being put in by the schools heads, changing their focus, equating to less funding.

Thoughts?

TDO.

TDO, it’s H

This is exactly correct, as headmasters see that the rugby program is no longer a concern for students, they will cut funding and further deepen the hole they dug themselves into.

For schools (particularly grammar and high) to dig themselves out of this hole, there must be massive structural changes made within the college. Starting with increased funding into higher teams, giving young pups incentive to get better and make these higher team.

Hammer.

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
TDO would you believe the stability of the Boys high sport is crumbiling beneath us? is the need for education a worrying sign for the future for all GPS schools. Let me know what you think

Salutations, "BGNP".

Those that are talented will succeed and education for those who are all about rugby have other ways to get into university.
Bonus ATAR points, Elite Athlete Programs.

TDO.

set_play

Frank Row (1)
Salutations, "BGNP".

Those that are talented will succeed and education for those who are all about rugby have other ways to get into university.
Bonus ATAR points, Elite Athlete Programs.

TDO.

I would argue that the ethos of the non-selective GPS schools is to help develop well rounded young men who will be a credit to society.

I understand “well rounded” to mean succeeding in academics, sport and personal development.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
TDO, it’s H
. Starting with increased funding into higher teams, giving young pups incentive to get better and make these higher team.
Hammer.

Money is not always the answer (unless you speak of the word that shall NOT be spoken of)

1st XV success is like a growing a tree (something I knew a hell a lot of about growing up on a Snowy Mtn orchard)

To get the best fruit, you cannot just throw endless fertilizer when it has matured.
You must show it even more attention when it is growing.

There have been schools who have spent a lot of money on ONE team. Yes, there will be a short term gain, BUT were does the next crop come from? Best results are achieved long term by nourishing the base, the juniors. Give them the focus, money, coaches etc.

Scots to their credit (call Subbie someone, I am giving TSC a rap here) insteed of throwing money at all teams, they implemented a playing style across the school. Some teams couldn't do it, sure, but but the time the "A" team laddies made the seniors, they had played this system for a number of years and hence nothing much had to be taught. It was just now grow the muscles with special milkshakes and Plummer Road chicken burgers (best in Sydney)

ChickenShop__Burger1_pexels-photo-70497.jpg

As mentioned a few pages back, not all schools enjoy big budgets so what is left then to make the rugby grow? School spirit is one, channeling old boy involvement and making the juniors just as much as important as the seniors.

Fun fact. Brother Anthony Boyd is coaching again at Joeys. Team? 15F XV. These kids will play out of their skins NOT because their coach has won multiple AAGPS premierships, BUT because they feel they are as special as everyone else.

BTW. Joeys Headmasters have a history of taking teams. Normally it is the 13G'/H's. Makes for some fun sideline banter with opposition parents.Can anyone tell me if the Heads of another AAGPS school is taking a team this season or in the past.

684212_640x360_large_20180613225224.jpg

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Shalom, B&W.

I have heard rumours that Angus Bell (from Newington, now playing for the Waratahs) has a brother that is just as good, if not better than the Aussie Schoolboy.

If you have any updates regarding team placement and/or talent level, please do let the forum know.

I remember watching him play prior to my nephew once (he was in 15A's I believe), looked as though he was playing somewhere in the back row? I could be mistaken however.

Hammer.

Hello Hammer, my apologies for getting you confused with another member.

More than happy to provide an insight, into what is an exciting time for New Rugby.
I can only go on last years observations and a few stories.

Newington last year had strong performances in all their A teams.

13As Won 10, only lost 1 to the champion Scots side. Whom they beat in the Preseason19-15. They lost 10-5 in the return fixture. But I gather but sides well matched. Both Newington and Scots were generally Head and Shoulders above other opponents.Including Joeys whom Newington beat 42-0. Apart from Scots, Kings were their next most difficult opponent. They won 19-14 in a real tight game, but were leading 12-0 until the Kings got a measure of new's nibble backline. Also, bit of complacency might crept into the team.

An outstanding team with a brilliantly create backline, who can score from any position on the field.Including on their try line. Don't know their names, but they have a Ken Wright/Bret Papworth type player in the centres or at No10. In fact he is not alone, but I recognise more so because of his head gear.

14As, had trouble in their initial games losing their first two games by two points. Lost to Scots about 15-31 them reversed the score in the second encounter. Regretablarly, they had too many injuries against Kings and Joeys who really, put the point on them. SJC 71-0 and TKS 37-0. But the reserve players in the lower grades benefitted from their experience.

They were least successful team losing 6 and winning 5. Three of the loses were by less than a penalty goal. So a working progress. Some boys at Kings have told me that two boys from a Catholic MCCSchool have arrived as part of New's Yr9 intake. They highly are highly rated.

The 15As, were undefeated as the 13As and 14As. Lost only one a game against Shore. 12-17. But put away, some other schools by big Margins Trinity77-5, Scots 85-5 and 35-7. View by 50-0. they played poorly against Joeys and had a 14-14 Draw.They have a few backs that are really big.
Except to see some of these players in the firsts.
Quick Hands can also provide an insight into this team, more so than me, he could even give you some names of players to watch. As his son is in this talented age Group.

The 16As have undergone a massive improvement due the promotion of about 5 players from the above champion side. these were boys who last year I was told were in year 10, but taken out of the 15s to play in the 16s, so may get two years experience in the open division.They beat Kings 31-0 and nearly, in my view could have beaten Joeys 16As. Had not a Joeys player been injured requiring play to stop. The momentum was certainly, with Newington after a slow start.

The open division is more difficult to predict due the year 11 Intake. But except to see some big boys in these teams which is word from the Barker game.Again reports from the Barker game were, New has some brilliantly gifted backs. Which we will need with the lost of our Australian Schoolboy Winger. My apologies I keep forgetting his name. But who knows, he could have a speedy recovery and won't the other teams know it.

Just on the school's culture, it appears that a more Rugby outlook has emerged. With the soccer culture slowing.On Saturdays in winter, the hill on the embankment can get really crowded. That can't be said for the soccer ovals who look, very much deserted. Also, the school this year welcomed 240 boys into the school in Year 7. So hopefully this will contribute to greater Rugby numbers. On negative side numbers in the open division struggle . A small boarding house and the introduction of Aussie Rules doesn't help either.

I hope,Blue Gum, you find these details interesting. I am always open to other views and I will do my best to provide a balanced insight But I have a tendency to see things in Black and White.

Kind Regards
B&W

Giddy Up

Bob McCowan (2)
As an insider of High Rugby, this year their 15 years age group is very good and playing I believe against all B teams in the GPS. A first for a long time. The boys were playing last year in the C comp and won over 80% of their games and quite comfortably. Two of these boys will probably play firsts next year whilst in Year 10 and would make most A teams at other schools. One boy has been likened to have the skill and awareness of Craig Wing according to one of the SBHS coaches who was at the school in those days. The future is looking better with fitness programmes improving too.

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
I would argue that the ethos of the non-selective GPS schools is to help develop well rounded young men who will be a credit to society.

I understand “well rounded” to mean succeeding in academics, sport and personal development.

Completely agree.

The commitments to rugby will spill over into organisation of their studies and time management at school, an essential life skill.

TDO.

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
As an insider of High Rugby, this year their 15 years age group is very good and playing I believe against all B teams in the GPS. A first for a long time. The boys were playing last year in the C comp and won over 80% of their games and quite comfortably. Two of these boys will probably play firsts next year whilst in Year 10 and would make most A teams at other schools. One boy has been likened to have the skill and awareness of Craig Wing according to one of the SBHS coaches who was at the school in those days. The future is looking better with fitness programmes improving too.

Hello, alias "Giddy up".

Warm welcome to the forums.

Great to hear, SBHS looks like they're building from the roots.

TDO.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
BTW. Joeys Headmasters have a history of taking teams. Normally it is the 13G'/H's. Makes for some fun sideline banter with opposition parents.Can anyone tell me if the Heads of another AAGPS school is taking a team this season or in the past.
Shore Headmaster traditionally takes a team. Dr Wright had one of the junior year E or F teams last year and the kids loved him coaching by all accounts. Dr Petterson has the 13C's this year.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Do you think the AAGPS will depart from Tas and High in the near future sporting wise they do not have the ability nor Talent to play in this comp anymore ?

Highly unlikely. As a smaller school with travel time and costs, TAS's involvement in GPS sport has always had a selective element, but the school has invested reasonably heavily. Up until the seventies, the school participated in the competitions in shooting (highly competitive) and athletics. Smaller numbers made results in aggregate athletic point scores problematic. but it gave the more talented boys a chance. TAS has had a number of podium firsts and GPS records in individual events. This year the school's MIC Athletics Mr Pennington as the GPS Convenor of the championships coordinated the whole GPS athletics carnival. The school also tried to play as many rugby matches as it could against the Sydney schools outside the comp.

TAS went into the full comp but was then forced out because its presence created a bye, while the Sydney schools were unwilling to travel. Problems with Grammar and High provided an opportunity for the school to enter the rugby competition via the new thirds comp where TAS has been quite competitive. This year covid-19 forced TAS out because the Sydney schools could not travel. However, covid-19 willing, TAS will travel to Sydney to play the scheduled away matches (v Scots on 22 August, v High on 29 August, v Joeys on 19 September) as non-competition games. This will give us a feel for what might have been! The school also plays an important role in the promotion of school rugby in Northern NSW holding the line against other codes. This includes the national primary rugby carnival.

Given lack of trial games against the usual suspects, I don't know how good the TAS teams are this year. TAS is playing in the New England competition where last Friday's results were 1sts XV TAS 45 v Armidale JRU Nil, 2nd XV TAS 34 v Farrer Gold Nil. Not having seen the games, I don't know how to judge that. Oh, for completeness, the girls begin their seven's campaign this weekend when TAS will field a 14s and 16s team against Inverell.

Rowing is the other GPS sport where TAS is now competing. Distance from water precluded school participation in this sport. The opening of the Malpas dam near Armidale gave the school a full length course and it started building rowing, participating in the Head of the River in a limited but growing range. This year, TAS was expected to do quite well in its events but then covid-19 forced a sudden almost instant change of dates that meant that there was no way that TAS could actually get to Sydney in time. .

.I am sure that this is more information than you need and your focus was in any case primarily on rugby. I would like to think that TAS could come back level on level, It's a matter of numbers, At the moment we get very good individual TAS teams that are too good for the level they are playing in, but to sustain that we need more boys and more boys who want to play rugby when there are so many choices. If TAS were to be forced out of rugby once again it would be a loss not just to the GPS but rugby in Northern NSW.

T

The Hammer

I remember a post in previous AAGPS season forums posing the question I am about to ask, but I’m looking for an updated answer.

Which schools do these best? (Joker, as one of the most well versed here in the forum I would love to have your input on this)

Rugby Ability?

Cheering?

Facilities?

Old boy support?

BBQ?

Best ground to spectate?

If you have any other variables that I’ve missed, please feel free to put them in your responses.

Hammer.

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
I remember a post in previous AAGPS season forums posing the question I am about to ask, but I’m looking for an updated answer.

Which schools do these best? (Joker, as one of the most well versed here in the forum I would love to have your input on this)

Rugby Ability?

Cheering?

Facilities?

Old boy support?

BBQ?

Best ground to spectate?

If you have any other variables that I’ve missed, please feel free to put them in your responses.

Hammer.

Evening Hammer,
Despite my relatively immature pedigree, I would like to throw my hat into the ring, so to speak, regarding these categories.
Overall rugby ability: it would be difficult to go past Joeys considering their dominance across all age groups in recent years.

Cheering: surely it would be the wolves from lane cove. The student section are a raucous mob and provide great support for their team, rain hail or shine. One would not have to look any further than the Riverview vs Kings game last year wherein a duo of wolves swooped through the Kings crowd and stole their hallowed shield. This is even more impressive considering that attendance is not compulsory for students, as is the case with other schools.

BBQ: hard to go past Newington for this one. They have a great BBQ, and other food options include a PIG ON THE SPIT! Amazing.

Best ground to spectate: it would have to be Joeys; but only if you are sitting in the Brother Henry Pavillion. Otherwise, the sun is blinding from the east side; perhaps a tactical decision to dismay opposing supporters. A close second is the Newington oval; it’s hard to beat a good old day on the Newington hill watching some champagne rugby.

Other than that, I will have to let the other categories go through to the other forum members. I would love to see what everyone else thinks: Joker - do you agree on my judgement.

TME.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Shore Headmaster traditionally takes a team. Dr Wright had one of the junior year E or F teams last year and the kids loved him coaching by all accounts. Dr Petterson has the 13C's this year.

Can confirm the assistant coach of the Shore Under 13 Cs is the Headmaster - Crashy junior is in said team.

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
Hi all.
I write to you with bad news.
A massive out for Riverview this weekend. Word on the grapevine is 2nd Rower Kiyan Jahromi is out. From what I heard from the pre season, his leadership was the glue holding the forwards together.
Will be very interesting to see if someone can fill his spot.
Definitely going to affect Riverview s performance against Shore.
I hate to be the deliverer of such terrible news.
TBE

Evening, TheBlumpkinEnthusiast, alias "TBE".

Hear a lot about Jahromi over the past years playing and improving in his positions (moving up squads over time),

Very unsettling news, (Asked the young pup when he came home from school this evening) can confirm.

An odd decision from the coaches, lets hope it is a correct one.

TDO.

T

The Hammer

H here,

Just in.

Shore 3rd XV will be playing Iggies 4th XV. Should be a good indicator on the depth of shore this season and how they will fair in the 3rds competition. Riverview had a good 4th XV side last year who were unlucky not to come away with some victories throughout the season. Should be a competitive matchup.

Thoughts?

Hammer.

RaraTragic

Frank Nicholson (4)
Good Evening, men of calibre.

Tread lightly, Dutch Oven. Word is Grammar rugby has assumed a much more fierce and mung-centric outlook coming into the 2020 season, no doubt a form of spiritual retaliation against the sectarian violence displayed at the 4th XI face off. I must mention a certain prevalence of mass monsters - I’ve heard of front rowers towing buses. A grammar comeback therefore must not be beyond the Pail. Factor in their all-star leadership faculty. Field Marshal Digby and Imcumbent Professor Egan (OAE) to name just a few.
Old school training methods mixed in with cutting-edge sports technology culminates in tibialic health and generally outstanding physical condition.

Pair this with an extensively regimented program of spiritual indoctrination lead by Culture Cheif of Staff Hon. B Dorofaeff, the team plays with a spirit comparable to the great martial Yamoto spirit.

All in all, I would watch out for the Grammar first XV squadron this season. A force to be reckoned with.
Yours truly,
Colonel Chip&Chase

Bless your little cotton socks ...as lovely as it would be for Grammar to rate, I don't think think (in fairness) this will happen for at least 3 years.....but love your enthusiasm!

RaraTragic

Frank Nicholson (4)
Firstly, can I extend a warm welcome to our new members. So thanks ,Gentleman, for your immediate, Intelligent and Thoughtful contribution to Green and Gold. In the past we have had individuals who really have lowered the tone of this site. Including one last week, who had nothing to offer but vindictive criticism of GPS Schools. He will remain nameless. Such individuals never talked school boy Rugby.

So I thank the following new members, for choosing to make a contribution to our site:-

Brother Joseph
The Hammer
The Meter Eater
The Business
The Dutchoven
DomChipin Chase
and
TheBlumpkinEnthusiast who I Have already had an interesting talk about Newington's potential for this year.

If I have left anyone out my humble apologies.I Trust you find friendship, enjoyment and from time to time a good laugh.

I hope other members can also extend a warm welcome as well.

Kind Regards

B&W

Gentleman....and gentlewomen......just as a quiet fyi....and thankyou for welcoming us all in...

RaraTragic

Frank Nicholson (4)
It seems it’s the day for new users, so I might as well throw my hat in the ring.

Does anyone have any details regarding whether games will be streamed online in the absence of crowds?

Now this is a thread we can ALL get on board with!!