• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Every dog has its day, and in many respects it is well beyond time.

Well done Newington, and it is good to have other than the usual suspects lining up for the premiership.

I can not resist the mischievous observation that the only Newington blokes who have been any good beyond school were unable to make the firsts while at school - Nick F-J and P Kearns.

Will this years success be a kiss of death for these boys, and open doors for some of the late maturing boys in this years Newington 2's :) ??

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)

Well done Newington, and it is good to have other than the usual suspects lining up for the premiership.

I can not resist the mischievous observation that the only Newington blokes who have been any good beyond school were unable to make the firsts while at school - Nick F-J and P Kearns.

Will this years success be a kiss of death for these boys, and open doors for some of the late maturing boys in this years Newington 2's :) ??
----------------------

For sure but only few positions (6) to fill in the 1st for next year as 9 from this year still be there. Boys in the 2nd and 16A this year will put a lots of work in their preseason to have a good chance in the 1st. Nothing is quarantee for those position available.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
I wonder whether it will put him out of the Presidents XV game against Samoa on 4 September?

Saw this bit on Roods in the Sunday Telegraph on the weekend;

* BRAITH Anasta's cousin Brogan Roods, who is still in Year 11, is turning heads for Newington College's all-conquering GPS rugby team. Roods forms a lethal centre pairing with team captain Apo Latunipulu. The talented duo helped carve up St Joseph's College 51-7 last weekend.

an "article" by Rebecca Wilson & David Riccio - vacuous Sporting gossip columnists from a trashy popularist rag.

Hardly credible but all the same, good for a rising rugby star to get a mention in the press, and one to watch for the future given his DNA.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
an "article" by Rebecca Wilson & David Riccio - vacuous Sporting gossip columnists from a trashy popularist rag.

Plagarists too! I was reading Terry Smith's "Barflybuzz" in last weeks rugby news and he says,

"Word is that Braith Anasta’s cousin Brogan Roods, who is in Year 11, is something special and forms a lethal centre pairing with Apo Latunipulu, the Newington captain."

http://rugbynews.org/editions/RN10_Issue_19.pdf

B

boophilus

This years Newington 1st's have to be one of the better teams I've ever seen in the GPS - I just missed the 2nd's but I think they struggled against Iggies - 16A's lost to Iggies second time in a row in what was a pretty spiteful game - so there will have to be some new(forgive the pun) talent for the 1st's from somewhere

G

groger

they have the talent in the 15A's and 16A's to easily accomidate .. newington will win it next year easily aswell im quiet sure

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
they have the talent in the 15A's and 16A's to easily accomidate .. newington will win it next year easily aswell im quiet sure

Jeez that is a big call. The one thing I have learnt about GPS is you can never predict results from a year out. Even from a month out it is hard. If Newington 'win it easily' next year I will eat my hat. You would have them as favourites though.

Q

QuadeCooperFan

I would have thought that with Kings losing two of their games that people would learn to not think like that, Groger, but apparently not.

Whats to say what happened to Kings this year wont happen to New next year?

W

WB3

Now that the season is over, who would you guys select in (your) GPS rep teams? I wonder how that will compare to the start of the season. Did the blokes who seemed unlucky to miss out prove that they deserved a spot? Did the shock selections live up to it?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Now that the season is over, who would you guys select in (your) GPS rep teams? I wonder how that will compare to the start of the season. Did the blokes who seemed unlucky to miss out prove that they deserved a spot? Did the shock selections live up to it?

The GPS 1sts team was pretty spot on. The biggest selection error was Kent over Luani. Probably should've been Roods instead of Ingate too.

C

catchpole

WB3 and qwerty51,

Thats an interesting proposition. Taking into account that the GPS sides were selected after completion of the Trial games and two GPS Rounds I think that the teams were a reasonable representation of form at that time.

I understand that Brogan Roods had a horror season for injuries in 2009 and was therefore transitioning back into full contact and forming a partnership with Apo in 2010.

On balance I agree that Luani and Roods have developed/improved more as the season progressed than their counterparts selected in the GPS 1st XV in late June. The entire Newington 1st XV has moved up a gear as the season progressed and come together as a cohesive outfit that adapts as changing conditions and situations evolve in a game.

Conratulations to Newington on a well deserved Rugby Championship. 2011 is a whole new season.

W

Wrinkled Rat

Part of the conjecture will always be there because of the very, very slim timeframe on putting the squad(s) together. Virtually no real trials with selectors going on trust and prior year form. The teams would be vastly different if selected last weekend at the end of the competition than when they were which seems an age ago.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Yes, I remember the "good old days" when the rep season was at the end of the season proper...the final act so to speak. These days, the timing just adds to the confusion and mayhem

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Part of the conjecture will always be there because of the very, very slim timeframe on putting the squad(s) together. Virtually no real trials with selectors going on trust and prior year form. The teams would be vastly different if selected last weekend at the end of the competition than when they were which seems an age ago.

No I don't think think they would be. Like I said, the 1sts team is pretty spot on apart from the 2 changes I suggested. The 2nds/3rds would definitely have changes but overall I think they did a good job on the 1sts and it showed since they beat beat CAS/CHS convincingly.

O

oldboy

I reckon lachy turner would qualify as being "any good beyond school" and he was in the 1sts

B

baldingwingforward

----------------------

For sure but only few positions (6) to fill in the 1st for next year as 9 from this year still be there. Boys in the 2nd and 16A this year will put a lots of work in their preseason to have a good chance in the 1st. Nothing is quarantee for those position available.

Newington might have a lot of players returning from 1st and 2nd XV but the significant thing is the QUALITY of the players they have lost. They are not going to be able to fill the void left by Roach. Luani and Apo in particular, and to a lesser degree Bannon and Roye.

They will have good props, two very good breakaways, and a good outside centre, but i'm not sure they have enough real quality to even get close to 2010 side.

Scots have a number of returning players and a couple of NSW U16s - i expect them to be competitive again. They under performed this season after injuries derailed their season.
Iggies have almost as many players back as Newington in 1s, and 5 or NSW 16s players... expect them to be more of a challenge next year.

As others have said, i would be wary of saying Newington have it in the bag easy. Injuries can happen in the blink of an eye and Newington will not have the depth to cover key positions.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I reckon lachy turner would qualify as being "any good beyond school" and he was in the 1sts

Fair Point. My mischievous comment is one that is well held outside the New community, and I would challenge the New associates to "name and shame" their past ex-1st XV successes to put this misconception to rest. I am sure that there will be many once we start counting.

I also suspect that there is a bright future for many of the class of 2010/2011 from New if they stick at it and the Injury Goblin leaves them alone.

C

Cando

Yes lets forget the scholarships and get on with the Rugby talk. By the way Roye from New is in Year 11 so will be back bigger and better next year.

College E

Bob McCowan (2)
Scots have a number of returning players and a couple of NSW U16s - i expect them to be competitive again. They under performed this season after injuries derailed their season.

Do you know who will be back from the 1st & 2nds?

Anyone from Kings know who'll be back from the 1st & 2nds?

Status
Not open for further replies.