• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sport Fan

Can you please take Lee Grant's advice to NorthernSon and take it to another forum. It is getting very boring....

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah, have moved the relevant comments to the relevant thread. Please if you must talk scholarships do it in the right place.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Can someone tell me who riverview's outside centre was? Watched some youtube videos and he looked a decent player

G

groger

how have the gps boys been handling hem self's in the oz team? particularly apo roach luani and millar as they r the best 5 in the comp ... any chance of S15 next year

B

baldingwingforward

particularly apo roach luani and millar as they r the best 5 in the comp ...

Are you missing a digit on your hand groger? Who is the 5th member of your best 5?

By all accounts Luani has been killing it (but he is lost to league next year) - others have been so so.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
groger - go to the Oz Schools 2010 thread and have a look.

Luani was the best player over the two games and Millar and Roach not far behind IMO. Apo wasn't much v Samoa but had a better game v Fiji.

Don't thump the GPS chest too hard. In other years they haven't been up to much.

G

groger

im just suprised because luani was average at best last year, if not wrong he was in the 2nds and even considered dropping himself to the 3rds.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
He's aggressive and it will work well for a bit at schoolboy level. Ultimately, very average in height and weight in adult rugby.

N

Nanai

Scots definitely have Barakat at prop (NSW 2s),7 his name escapes me, (good player - played for CS at Aus Champs), Miller the #8, Stewart at 13 (injured for much of this season but will be playing NSW 16s). Not sure who else is back but thats not a bad start. They also have a good 10 in U16s - Horowitz?

Kings 1st XV was nearly all, or possibly all Yr 12 boys so might be a bit of a rebuilding year for them. Can anyone confirm if they have any players returning in 1s?

Funnily enough I'd thought Scots wouldn't have much of a showing given the number of boys who seem to have moved on from their roster - but it seems most of their key players were in year 11 anyhow. It'll come down to their depth and I hear their 16s were weak. I've heard good things about a red-headed u16s centre called Kellaway from Scots though who by reports was 14/15 years old this season. Probably a way from 1st XV with guys like Jim Stewart still around but playing u16s underage is pretty impressive.

Surely with all 9 of Kings's Aussie Schoolboys/As players moving on they'll be in the rough next year?

It seems to me Riverview will have a good side. Their 16s scrumhalf by all accounts is special.

N

Nanai

Just for the record as well - I went kind of AWOL after missing the Scots v Newington game that I'd said I was going to attend. I got to the Kings v Newington game, and the Scots v Kings game, however. Because I'd been so critical of the GPS scrumhalves I'd just like to post a few final observations.

NC - Ended up being a terrifically rounded team with real ticker. Hanging on while down to come back and beat Kings will undoubtedly be a highlight in all of those boys' careers forever. Hugh Roach, Joel Luani and Apolosi Latunipulu will be seen again for sure. Mark Bannon's pass improved staggeringly from the first time I watched him to the last, and I think he proved he was worthy of his #2 selection in CGPS and has the chops to be a top flight scrumhalf. Their 7, Baldwin, seems to have fallen into the unlucky camp as far as GPS selections go.

TKS - While their two losses were narrow ones, I expected this team to do better. The quality of their forwards on paper is something we'll laugh at in a few years time when these boys litter the First Grade rosters around Sydney - probably even higher. Guy Millar and Boyd Killingworth have been the pick of the lot all season. Despite the rampant criticism of him on this board, Tom Connor continued to impress me with his workrate and mobility and I'm sure he'll pop up again. In the backs, Wylie, McCormack and Ingate are all sure-fire 1sts Colts next year - wherever they may be.

SIC - High achievers considering where I'd estimated them to be, they put together a convincing win over Scots in Round 2 that was likely the highlight of their season. Wells and Donlan have been honored as Australian Schoolboys, and their outside centre, Barry, deserves an honorable mention.

SJC - Fall into the "Did better than I thought they would" category, these boys by all accounts played with some serious heart after a thorough loss to Scots in Round 1 and the career-ending injurings of two of their key players (Teggart being hands down their best back, in my opinion, and would've been a surefire Australian Schoolboy). Inconsistency was probably their biggest enemy. Toppling SIC and TKS are both mammoth achievements for a talented side. The captain and second rower-come blindside flanker, Williams, will be seen again - as will their wizard backline duo of 10 Walford and 12 Ashby, and powerful 11 Hulme.

SHORE - A team I seldom saw, but their draw against Scots and thumping of Joeys seem like season-defining games on their scorecard. Their forwards were ruthless in the trials, and likely continued that form. 9 Jock Merriman is due for a massive season next year considering his achievements this year, and I will be watching closely. 11 Streeter is a CGPS unfortunate.

TSC - Along with Joeys, inconsistency killed them. They put together sterling displays against Newington and Shore in the trials, and the games against Joeys and Kings were at opposite ends of their spectrum, I feel. Offensively, probably the most talent-studded team behind Newington, and they put together brief sections of giant-killing play against Kings in the last game, but ultimately fell flat. 13 Stewart and 8 Miller are players to watch next year. 2 Moore, 12 Atkinson and 10 Dunbar are players we're sure to hear of again across the codes.

SGS - I only saw them once in their trial clash with SBHS. There were high hopes about this Grammar team with some very talented boys, but they ultimately suffer as they always do, from a lack of depth. 7 Graham was unlucky to have been picked as low as the GPS 3s and of all the boys, probably has the best prospects of a serious rugby career. 9 Jeong was a lively halfback, and 11 Attard was a real weapon, who, sadly, may suffer from a lack of size as his career progresses.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my first season of tripping around Sydney on saturday to watch this terrific competition. It deserves its prestige, but going forward I'd like to see it adopt the more professional CAS format...

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Nanai

Great but belated feedback. I think your comments are quite accurate apart from perhaps Merriman but he has another year to go. A good summary across the field.

Welcome back from your AWOL.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Nanai - Agree with Spewn - good summary of the 2010 GPS.

Walford and Ashby will likely be playing league but they may not get a gig.

im just suprised because luani was average at best last year, if not wrong he was in the 2nds and even considered dropping himself to the 3rds.

He sure played well above average for New v Joeys and for the two recent games in Sydney for Oz Schools. Anybody know how much he weighs at the minute? It's a bit academic because he's going to the Tigers but I'd like to know anyway.

No comments that he's small - or guesses. He sure plays big.

S

Sport Fan

Nice to hear from you again Nanai! Agree with you on 2010 GPS summary as well. Well done! Have you seen the Youtube highlights of "Newington 1st XV vs Riverview 2010". This excellent clip done by Joeyriverocks, filmed by Tom Hayes and edited by Joe Machart (I think Riverview boys?)shows you just how powerful the Newington 2010 1sts XV team were and how they did just that - play as a team. It will impress you.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Nanai - thanks for the round-up, have put it on the front page / blog.

Anyone know where I can get the final table for the comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.