• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nanai

After I watched those videos on YouTube that were attached to my original wrap-up I found a Scots 2010 highlights reel in the 'related' side column, but I can't find it again. A quick search is just giving me rugby from Scots College in Wellington, NZ and the Scotland national team... Maybe you guys will have better luck. It's a long one and there is some cracking footy on it.

Right. Well, seeing as my wrap-up was well received I'm just going to throw in my final edition of Nanai's XV which appeared a few times over the course of the season. As I've noted before I am a coach, and that's how I've approached this. In my opinion, and it's slightly out of the box I'll admit, this all-GPS team would beat the GPS 1s and the NSW 1s and 2s from this year, if you could clone the players, that is. Feel free to comment, criticise, flame, drag me through the mud and all the rest of it. I hope you at least find it an interesting take on the GPS season!

THE FINAL EDITION OF NANAI'S GPS XV (22) 2010
This is all hypothetical, of course.

FORWARDS: In the front row and back row this could rightly be remembered as one of the best years for GPS. NSW and AUS schoolboys reps back this claim up.
1. Jed Gillespie (TKS) GPS 1st XV
3. Guy Millar (TKS) GPS 1st XV
I don't really need to justify these picks. Without peer in the front row and everyone knows it. If Guy Millar keeps going like he there isn't much that'll stand in his way towards a gold jersey, considering the value of quality front rowers. A fit, dynamic prop and part of an almighty scrum unit at Kings.

2. Hugh Roach (NC) GPS 1st XV
As someone commented in the Aussie Schoolboy thread, is on track to surpass K Beale and Q Cooper for Aus Schools caps. Huge find for Australian rugby, someone we'll be talking about in years to come, and a phenomenal all round hooker. People worrying about his size is ridiculous.

4. Jake Williams (SJC) GPS 3rd XV
My memory of Williams is watching him work relentlessly against Scots in a faltering side. Everything you want in a captain on the field in terms of the way he played the game that day. Very mobile, deceptively strong and a workrate that would embarass most openside flankers. Deserved a much higher showing in the CGPS selections.

5. Benn Melrose (TKS) GPS 2nd XV
Big, rangy and strong which was something otherwise lacking across the board in the GPS ranks this year. This surprised me as the GPS is fabled to have the all-round bigger tight players of the schoolboy comps. Apparently there wasn't much better anywhere else in Australia too, as he made the top cut. Best 2nd rower in the GPS this year without question.

6. Boyd Killingworth (TKS) GPS 1st XV
A no-brainer, really. Apparently he's going pretty well as a 7 in the Australian Schoolboys these days...

7. James Graham (SGS) GPS 3rd XV
Will surprise a few, but falls into the same category as Stenberg in the backs. Suffered from an overly light pack of forwards around him (with no disrespect to the Grammar boys) really unlucky in the GPS selections and I would love to see him play with a dominant pack. I only saw him against SBHS in the trials and in the CGPS 3rds but seems to run and tackle with real purpose. Was critical of his pace around the park earlier in the thread, but Spewn made a good counter-argument about the amount of work he's required to do around the field, and I accept it. He's probably physically the biggest of all the GPS 7s (and from Grammar!) My suspicion is he'd hold his own toe-to-toe with the best of them.

8. Joel Luani (NC) GPS 2nd XV
Apparently he's currently the best performing Australian Schoolboy and I'm not surprised at all. If we were to award a Trophy for GPS player of the year, you'd be sure to see him and Latunipulu in the final 3 with Roach. Huge loss for rugby. Very mobile and has a great skill set and running game. Will be a great rugby league success I suspect, unfortunately for us.

BACKS: I really disliked the arrangement of backs this year in the CGPS teams, and I feel they were especially lacking in wing depth. Tom Horne from Kings misses out here only because I've converted Clarrie Moore to a Wing-Juggernaut. Overall, this backline has some serious size and I feel would be utterly punishing running off the smaller, flighty Scots halves.
9. Alex Stenberg (TSC) Unselected
10.Stuart Dunbar (TSC) GPS 2nd XV
Putting these two together because they are a combination and put together the best performance in the halves I saw all year in the Round 1 clash with Joeys.
They compliment eachother nicely, Stuart Dunbar has the crafty short passing and running game that we all like to see these days in players like Quade Cooper (though, with a good deal less flair) and he's very toey. Most importantly, his kicking game was utterly flawless against Joeys. Rumour has it he can kick drop goals from the halfway line in State Championship finals. I'll take anyone who can do that. Though, as I've said, he showed some signs of erratic, rushed play at times - especially against Riverview in Round 2. Wylie the safer choice, but Dunbar's my kind of flyhalf.

On the flipside, Stenberg showed a beautiful quick, long passing game and a direct running game. Was one of my men of the match against Joeys. I think the size of the Scots forwards might have played against him over the season, as he didn't play with the same dominance in the Riverview of Kings games. Dumfounded as to how he missed out on a CGPS spot. Would love to see him behind a thoroughly dominant pack (see above).

11.Clarrie Moore (TSC) GPS 2nd XV
I'm not having you on. I was watching that Scots highlights video I found last night and I had an epiphany. The guy's work rate on attack in support seems to be huge and he seemed to pop up in all the right places, showing good passing skills in the video when required. Showed plenty pace, a great fend and terrific feet. Positional play could be a problem. This guy is not a hooker, but, fortunately, he's my hooker cover, which means I can take an extra loosie on the bench (see Wells).

12.Apolosi Latunipulu (NC) GPS 1st XV
Another no brainer. Destined for big things in rugby.

13.Dane Atkinson (TSC) Unselected.
The most hyped up player out there in my circles, and lacks a little bit of mobility, but is a rock on defense and a punishing, hard runner, like any good league player. Can't see a future in union, but he'll star in the league ranks.

14.Brogan Roods (NC) GPS 2nd XV
Pity he missed so much of the early season really, but his somewhat automatic selection in the GPS 2nds attests to his class. Seems to be very, very quick, good on his feet and is big and strong. A combination found lacking in the wing stocks outside Tom Horne and Matt Hulme this year.

15.Matthew Hulme (SJC) GPS 1st XV
Positionally this may be a little bit dodgy, but I remember him lining up at fullback once this year. Runs hard and straight and carries some serious weight with him. Don't know what his kicking game is like.

RESERVES:
16. Alan Ala'alatoa (NC) GPS 2nd XV
Big punishing runner who seems like a great player to have on the bench. Given 15-20 at the end of a game I'm sure he'll rampage. Scrummaging isn't exactly my thing, but I hear he's pretty good and he seems quite solid. Can probably play either side.

17. Harry Hosegood (TSC) GPS 1st XV
Made a whole bunch of rep teams this year, including the GPS 1s and the NSW 2s. Good around the field but I never thought a whole lot of him, good with ball in hand an in space, though (like most of the Scots players).

18. Tom Connor (TKS) GPS 1st XV
Thought he was all class at the beginning of the season and still do - I touted him as getting a rookie contract with the Tahs this season which doesn't seem like it's to be. Can see why people say he lacks physicality, but has great skills and is a good instinctive 7.

19. Michael Wells (SIC) GPS 3rd XV
Hadn't realised he was in the NSW u16s last year and therefore is a year young. Has a big physical presence and is a good foil for Joel Luani if the game needs tightening up. Honorable mentions to George Kent from Kings and Will Miller from Scots. Lots of depth at 8 in the GPS this year.

20. Mark Bannon (NC) GPS 2nd XV
Mark Bannon is one of the most dangerous ball runners in the GPS (and the smallest player out there, likely) and though his core skills lacked early in the season they improved drastically and I think he'll mature into a terrific player - I thought he was best destined for the wing early in the season, and I'll stick by that so he's both Wing and Halfback cover on the bench. I'd use him as an impact player and put him in at 9 in the last 15-20 every game when the forwards are tired. Exempting Donlan at all might cause a few of you to perk up, but, like my explanation for Wylie below, he seems to be a good leader and is solid in every aspect, bound for a solid rugby career. The quality of scrumhalves was pretty even across the board I thought by the end, so it just comes down to a preference of style.

21. Jack O'Connor (SIC) GPS Bench
A bit of an unsung star. Came out on top opposite Dunbar against Scots and based on the JoeyRiverrocks highlights now attached to the wrap-up I wrote earlier, seems to be a real threat. Exempting Wylie at all may cause some outcry, and he's certainly all-round probably the most polished fly half out there at Schools level, but I feel O'Connor is more of a threat on attack and has a longer range boot - probably the longest of the lot. Covers the centres too, I suspect. Josh McCormack unlucky as I think he's a very classy 10/12.

22. Ben Lenehan (SIC) GPS 1st XV
Good goalkicker and all-round solid player. Could probably cover quite a few gaps in a backline, which is a good thing to have in a utility. The safety plan if Hulme couldn't handle it.

THE WRAP UP
GPS 1s: 9
GPS 2s: 7
GPS 3s: 3
GPS Bench: 1
Unselected: 2
NC: 6
TKS: 5
SIC: 3
SJC: 2
TSC: 5
SHO: 0
SGS: 1

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Nanai,

Another thorough and well argued post. A few controversies but that only proves the depth in some areas. I particularly agree with your comments about O'Connor from Riverview. I would have Ingate over Atkinson. I really like the backrow. I also think Jack Rollins from Shore deserved an honourable mention. No doubt your 9, 10 and 7 selections will generate debate with some pretty entrenched views out there. Overall, it strikes me as a selection based on observation rather than reputations.

S

skullring

FFS Please don't use huge quotes for a short comment. Thank you.

Nanai,

The fact that you're Stenberg's older brother wouldn't have swayed your opinion on the halfback selection now would it....
Come on now you could at least try to be subtle, Donlan IS the Australia halfback after all...

northman91

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thats nearly what i would have except for:
7. Tom Connor (James Graham belonged in GPS 3s)
9. Donlan (is the starting half for aus schools and deserves to be there as well)*but those other halfs are quality enough to be playing GPS 1s.
11. Definately not Clarrie Moore. I agree he is an elusive player but definitely not a winger.
13. Chris Ingate only if Dane is off to league

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
11 would be Nathan Roye

Bit of a joke you selected Clarrie Moore there, Roye was a standout all year

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Northman

I'd be interested in the basis for your comments re 7 like how many games you watched, whether you were at the trials etc. It goes back to the style of 7 one prefers. Wells also belonged in the 3s but the difference was he gotva second chance and absolutely made the most of it. Thus, my point about depth in some positions.

Re 9, I thought Donlan and Stenberg had similar games. Good poise and good long passes. Donlan had the CV and was always going to get the nod. Donlan is not in the same league as say Stirzaker from the year before but is still a very fine player.

Re 11. Who would you have? Roye, Buchanan. Clarrie Moore has to be in the squad somewhere. Put Roods at 13 and Ingate on the wing.

Re 13. Ingate or Roods. I hope Roods stays in union. He is a fantastic prospect. Hard, fast, good in attack and defence. Will he stay injury free?

J

jbhi5

Would like to hear thought on the 'player of the gps' if one were selected

G

Goldenone

Probably still not good enough to beat those Queenslanders though !!!Which was pretty much the Qld GPS 1's.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I struggle to see how you can leave out Tom Connor, he was a standout in the 3 Kings games I saw this year. I also think Ingate needs to be there. Saying that I never saw Scots, Grammar or Joeys so cannot make a definitive statement that they were the best in the comp.

N

NorthernSon

I struggle to see how you can leave out Tom Connor, he was a standout in the 3 Kings games I saw this year. I also think Ingate needs to be there. Saying that I never saw Scots, Grammar or Joeys so cannot make a definitive statement that they were the best in the comp.

Hmmm, Barbarian I think its time to stop pushing the Connor barrow the wheels fell off in physical encounters post the touch footy trials . Examples that I witnessed were vs New, View and Joeys and in hindsight should have joined Wells in GPS thirds behind the Newington 7 Baldwin, Grammar 7 Graham, Joeys 7 Decimbre.

Killingworth was appropraitely selected at 7 for AUS schoolboys and was brilliant in the 2 encounters I saw.
Unlucky not to make the Nanai 1st XV was Deans from Joeys who played at 8 but was a rep 4 or 5 and definitely Nathan Roye 11 from Newington

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Unfortunately I live in London so I am a bit outside of the loop re next year. I have a few questions for you guys;

From what I understand, Newington have a large amount of their team back for next year. How about the other schools?

Secondly, which teams won the 16A's and 2nd's this year? Are there any schools with some young guns coming through the ranks to rival this Newington side?

Cheers

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Hmmm, Barbarian I think its time to stop pushing the Connor barrow the wheels fell off in physical encounters post the touch footy trials . Examples that I witnessed were vs New, View and Joeys and in hindsight should have joined Wells in GPS thirds behind the Newington 7 Baldwin, Grammar 7 Graham, Joeys 7 Decimbre.

Obviously we will have to agree to disagree on this one- I saw him in each of the games you mentioned and thought he was a standout.

PumpkinHead

Stan Wickham (3)
I am sorry if this is a daft question... But does 'Jake' Williams happen to be known as James Williams as well.. I have just seen posts for both names in the same positions & being from the Northern States I am just trying to work out who is who.

B

baldingwingforward

Unfortunately I live in London so I am a bit outside of the loop re next year. I have a few questions for you guys;

From what I understand, Newington have a large amount of their team back for next year. How about the other schools?

Secondly, which teams won the 16A's and 2nd's this year? Are there any schools with some young guns coming through the ranks to rival this Newington side?

Cheers

Newington will indeed be the team to beat again next year, although i think they might have a bit of a shock coming without Apo, Luani and Roach to run the show for them... They have some good players but none in the class to replace those 3, and in such influential positions, although there is still plenty of time for them to replenish their stocks before April!

Kings lost a lot of players this year from 1st and 2nds, although they have some handy 16s coming through, although it might be a year early for them. Vilmaa will be an important figure for them - interesting to see whether he stands up. The fullback from the 16s is a BIG unit - it will be interesting to see how he goes at the next level up.

Scots - should be competitive, but there again they have had an excellent team on paper for the past 2 years! The 7 (Walters is a quality player) 8, and 13 (Jim Stewart) are back (and a winger?), and Horowitz who played 12 for NSW 16s is also a good prospect. They will have a good backline, but as normal for them i think they will struggle up front.

Joeys - very few players back. Their 2nds won in 2010 but i think nearly all were Y12s. Le Lievre and a couple of others are back? The 16s were strong though - the 5/8th played 10 for NSW 16s, not a bad player. Think they will be better than they were this year and don't think anyone will be putting 50 on them again in 2011!

Iggies - have a number of 1st and 2nd XV returning, 8 1st XV? Had a number of 16s in NSW team. Wells (Oz schools #8) will be back for another year. People have bagged him on here for his performances in the gold jumper - but at GPS level i would think he will be pretty damaging. From what i have seen they will have a good pack but might struggle in the outside backs.

Shore - don't know much about them. Merriman is back for his 3rd year of 1st XV/Opens and the team will be based around him (Rightly or wrongly expect to see him picked in some high rep teams as the NTS need to justify their selections). Also have a good THP and a big solid back rower? (big blond lad).

Grammar - don't know much about them but their 16s were reasonably competitive again this year which is always a good sign...

I'm sure others will add notable players and comments to the above.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Obviously we will have to agree to disagree on this one- I saw him in each of the games you mentioned and thought he was a standout.

And the point is Barbarian you did not watch any of the other 7s for the same number of games.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
And the point is Barbarian you did not watch any of the other 7s for the same number of games.

Very true, as I said before my comments should be taken with a grain of salt because I didn't see everyone. This is the sketchy nature of these 'combined' XVs, as has already been extensively discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.