• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

footyboy

so are you suggesting that High rugby is improving and will be up the standards of GPS 1ST XV in 2012, i think more years is needed in developing the grassroots at High before 1ST grade fixtures are arranged yet!

C

catchpole

Gentlemen,

I attended the Kings v Scots game on Saturday.Despite the fact that the game was a 'dead rubber' and a consolation for the TKS 1st XV, I was mightily impressed with the game played by Stu Dunbar for Scots.

He was listed in the program as No.10 and wore No. 15 on his back, but clearly played most of the game at No.15 in defence and set-piece play and No.10 or first receiver in attack and phase play.

He was creative and dangerous at all times with the ball in hand and very impressive in a beaten side. The Scots side was courageous and a credit to their school.

Additionally it was fantastic to see them travelling to away games with their Pipers who played continuously through the 1st XV Game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
cud sum1 write up a report for the new view game

Referee ruined the game. Newington completely dominant, especially in the second half. Donlan was very good though and showed why he's in the Australian Schoolboys side. Deservedly, Roach got 2 tries to finish off his 3rd year in the 1sts and an amazing schoolboy journey. Luani probably the best on the field. All the Schoolboys showed their class. Riverview 10 and 11 were good in a beaten side. 11 loves to try and charge-down conversions haha

P

Peter

You got the impression from the very first whistle that the referee was intent on showing a bunch of schoolboys who was boss. Perhaps he wasnt happy to be relegated from Grade to a schoolboy fixture?? In any case, he's refusal to allow a game of rugby to be played just created frustration amongst the players which in turn perhaps led to infringements that the referee was only too happy and quick to point out. Roach paid the penalty and was carded for 10 minutes. In what little play was possible, Newington held a 5 -3 lead at half time which would have given Riverview some encouragement at the break.

Unfortunately for View, the New boys must have decided at half time to forget about the ref and play their own game regardless. For the next 15 minutes they were at their dominating best, racking up 4 tries in that period. The first of the 4 being the best with a quick exchange of passing down the left touchline for Matt Gibson to finish off in the away-stand corner. Newington were back to their Joeys-thumping best.

Sadly the game took a turn for the worst shortly thereafter with Newington ahead 34-3. A scuffle on halfway broke out involving at least 10 to 15 boys. Roods for Newington was singled out and red-carded. I didn't have a good view of the incident so won't comment on whether the marching was fair or not however the whole episode at that stage and with that scoreline did seem unnecessary and once more seemed like the ref wanting to exert some authority.

From there, the game petered out into something approaching a comedy with the final 3 tries of the game all coming from intercepts. The final act was a length of the field effort with Matt Gibson intercepting and off-loading to Nathan Roy to sprint for the scoreboard corner. Valiantly chased by two View boys, Roy managed to beat the diving tackle of the first but was being chased down by the second. Rather than risking a sprint to the corner post Roy stopped to meet his assailant head on, brushed him off then ran under the posts to atone for the intercept pass he had earlier thrown to Lenehan.

A dominant 7 tries to 1 victory for Newington but sadly very little quality rugby was allowed to be played other than those 15 minutes after the break.

R

rocket321

A scuffle on halfway broke out involving at least 10 to 15 boys. Roods for Newington was singled out and red-carded.

i heard that the Newington number 7 had his face ripped and that caused the entire scuffle, not 100% though. And apparently Roods pulled two fighting players apart and then punched the View player in the face for the red card, or so i'm told anyway.

R

rocket321

Now that the season is over, where will the star Yr 12 boys be playing next year? Union or the dark side? If union, grade or colts? And of course, which club?

Certain schools have relations with Shute Shield clubs. I know that Newington has a connection with West Harbour, a fair few past 1st Xv players have played for West Harbour. Anyone know other school connections? Doesn't Shore feed Northern Suburbs?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Certain schools have relations with Shute Shield clubs. I know that Newington has a connection with West Harbour, a fair few past 1st Xv players have played for West Harbour. Anyone know other school connections? Doesn't Shore feed Northern Suburbs?

No, a lot of Shore players turn out for Norths because of geography- most live on the lower north shore and that happens to be where Norths is based. A few play for Gordon as well. But there is no relationship. Same goes for most schools.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Gentlemen,

I attended the Kings v Scots game on Saturday.Despite the fact that the game was a 'dead rubber' and a consolation for the TKS 1st XV, I was mightily impressed with the game played by Stu Dunbar for Scots.

He was creative and dangerous at all times with the ball in hand and very impressive in a beaten side. The Scots side was courageous and a credit to their school.

Agree Catchy he has had a good year, you might recall he was called up from the shadows & played NSW2's. IMO played better than some of the kids selected for higher honours. He was unlucky not to get an Aust A's jumper of some description at the very least. Appears that he is somwhat versatile as well.
But that is the way with Schoolboy trials...there are always more than 1 opinion & there are always those who were lucky & those that were not...........

K

killerbug678

so are you suggesting that High rugby is improving and will be up the standards of GPS 1ST XV in 2012, i think more years is needed in developing the grassroots at High before 1ST grade fixtures are arranged yet!

I don't think High will ever be of GPS 1sts standard again simply because of the way they enrol students, however yes they are improving but people can only improve so much in 6 years. I do believe that High should at least play 2nd grade because 3rd grade doesn't seem to be competitive enough. Grammar rugby though is deteriorating as far as i can see.

R

rocket321

yes agreed killerbug, ive heard that the 16's age group (the A's anyway) are quite talented, and would have beaten newington 16A's if it weren't for the bad refereeing (apparently). The pity is that the 15's and 14's are terrible, meaning a bad few years coming up for Grammar rugby

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
i heard that the Newington number 7 had his face ripped and that caused the entire scuffle, not 100% though. And apparently Roods pulled two fighting players apart and then punched the View player in the face for the red card, or so i'm told anyway.

Roods was sent off for a head butt.

G

groger

does that mean roods is out first gps game next season or first trial .. or out at all .. i dare say they wont play him in trials

R

Rugbygirl

Newington will be heavyweight contenders for the next three years. They've got 9 back from the 1st's and 10 back from the 2nd's. The 16A's have some talent (they beat Joey's this year) and the 15A's were undefeated. The black and white dynasty has begun !!

B

baldingwingforward

does that mean roods is out first gps game next season or first trial .. or out at all .. i dare say they wont play him in trials

Due to the antiquated set up of the GPS and the fact that there is no citation procedure or decent judicial system... He will proabably escape with a slap on the wrist and still be eligible for later games this season.

If the same incident had occurred in a game where NSW rugby has jurisdiction a player would get a lengthy ban and it would carry over to matches next season. A headbutt carries a minimum of 8 weeks i think...

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I wonder whether it will put him out of the Presidents XV game against Samoa on 4 September?

Saw this bit on Roods in the Sunday Telegraph on the weekend;

* BRAITH Anasta's cousin Brogan Roods, who is still in Year 11, is turning heads for Newington College's all-conquering GPS rugby team. Roods forms a lethal centre pairing with team captain Apo Latunipulu. The talented duo helped carve up St Joseph's College 51-7 last weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.