• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old Offside No7

Thank you! Goldie is one of the best 7s in GPS and playing 2nds hooker? if he was in the side against View or Scots i dont think the 7s that got to Deegan would of been able to get away with it

Random & lewis1234: Yes your joeys guy (Goldie) 'might' be getting ripped off at school level but to say the rest is questionable. Firstly if you sight View & Scots games then they have come up against arguably the two form forward packs & the strongest backrow combo's in the comp with View having Wells at 8 (GPS1s & NSW1s) & Dempsey at 6 (GPS2s & NSW2s) then Scots having Walters at 7 (GPS2s/1s & NSW2s), Baraket at 6 (GPS2s & NSW shadow) & Miller at 8 (GPS1s & NSW shadow). So only fair that the Joeys pack/backrow was outclassed.

And before I move on lets not forget Baldwin from Newington (injured for past month but still selected for GPS1s - so replaced by Walters). And what about Hall from Kings he was selected for GPS3s for a reason infront of the current Joeys No7. So I would think your guy is down the pecking order ... I hope your guy gets more runs in 1stXV but lets not get carried away about further selections as those GPS & NSW trains have left the station for 2011.

Additionally don't think anyone is going to stop Deegan getting hassled as that is a No7s job!

L

lewis1234

Random & lewis1234: Yes your joeys guy (Goldie) 'might' be getting ripped off at school level but to say the rest is questionable. Firstly if you sight View & Scots games then they have come up against arguably the two form forward packs & the strongest backrow combo's in the comp with View having Wells at 8 (GPS1s & NSW1s) & Dempsey at 6 (GPS2s & NSW2s) then Scots having Walters at 7 (GPS2s/1s & NSW2s), Baraket at 6 (GPS2s & NSW shadow) & Miller at 8 (GPS1s & NSW shadow). So only fair that the Joeys pack/backrow was outclassed.

And before I move on lets not forget Baldwin from Newington (injured for past month but still selected for GPS1s - so replaced by Walters). And what about Hall from Kings he was selected for GPS3s for a reason infront of the current Joeys No7. So I would think your guy is down the pecking order ... I hope your guy gets more runs in 1stXV but lets not get carried away about further selections as those GPS & NSW trains have left the station for 2011.

Additionally don't think anyone is going to stop Deegan getting hassled as that is a No7s job!

Our current number 7 young Tommy Murphy has been outstanding this year. Penisi should be in the 16a's, as should deegan. It's a crime their in the 1sts this early, they're just not physically up to it. Positional changes, James goldie to number 7, Murphy to number 6, penisi 16a's, deegan 16a's, Josh Kay to 10, Ben Rogers to 9, le lievre to 2nds, hookey to 15

If young Goldie is indeed playing 2 in 2nds, whoever runs the programme at Joeys needs horsewhipping. He's been an inspirational player and leader for a few years

It's true

How does that work if you are a cricketer and not a rower like Tom Lamont or Leivre?

There are exceptions, but obviously rowing takes priority

I

International Badboy

Our current number 7 young Tommy Murphy has been outstanding this year. Penisi should be in the 16a's, as should deegan. It's a crime their in the 1sts this early, they're just not physically up to it. Positional changes, James goldie to number 7, Murphy to number 6, penisi 16a's, deegan 16a's, Josh Kay to 10, Ben Rogers to 9, le lievre to 2nds, hookey to 15

Very Questionable calls there. I think Joeys rely on Le Lievre's boot so no chance of a NSW II's player being dropped halfway through the season. Although i like the idea of The Joeys 16s playing in their proper age group, the 16As would be unstoppable IMO

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Deegan to 2nds, Newsome 16As, Penisi 2nds, Goldie 7, Curtin 9, Kay 10, Barclay 12, Occa 13, Hookey 11, Gus 15

L

lewis1234

Very Questionable calls there. I think Joeys rely on Le Lievre's boot so no chance of a NSW II's player being dropped halfway through the season. Although i like the idea of The Joeys 16s playing in their proper age group, the 16As would be unstoppable IMO

Josh Kay is a much better kicker than Le Lievre. Hookey isn't a bad kicker either

Deegan to 2nds, Newsome 16As, Penisi 2nds, Goldie 7, Curtin 9, Kay 10, Barclay 12, Occa 13, Hookey 11, Gus 15

Oli McCarthy is good at 12

I

International Badboy

Keep dreaming, Le Lievre has probably the biggest boot in the Gps, (general play) ,

D

dell_boy

Said by who ?

And no it wasn't Baldwin ? How do you define shocking ?

why are you getting so defensive about the red head newington 7 malcsy, it seems as though there are personal ties or even a family relation?

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
why are you getting so defensive about the red head newington 7 malcsy, it seems as though there are personal ties or even a family relation?

I do know him and he's a good kid. Just unfortunate to see quality young players receiving unfair criticism for no good reason. Same goes for Joey also, some of which has overstepped the mark in my opinion.

A

attack21

How could Le Lievre be dropped from a Joeys team when he is picked in NSW 2's? agree with josh kay, but pat curtin should be 9 when he gets back. Don't mind having penisi there but goldie should have been given opportunites that he wasnt. he is wasted at hooker.

A

attack21

1sts Backline: 9. Curtin, 10. Kay, 11. Occa, 12. McCarthy, 13. Barclay, 14. Wilde, 15. Le Lievre.
Hookey is hot and cold, and tends to run cross field too much. That said he is good in broken play and is very strong. Occa needs to stay on the wing as his defence is not good enough. With Barclay and McCarthy both in the centres it limits the defence Le Lievre has to make, and everyone knows about his lack of defence at times.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
Our current number 7 young Tommy Murphy has been outstanding this year. Penisi should be in the 16a's, as should deegan. It's a crime their in the 1sts this early, they're just not physically up to it. Positional changes, James goldie to number 7, Murphy to number 6, penisi 16a's, deegan 16a's, Josh Kay to 10, Ben Rogers to 9, le lievre to 2nds, hookey to 15.

Whoa there tiger! It's good to back your mates but a little bit of credibility please. Tom Murphy is a gutsy little guy but to suggest he plays 6 is laughable and would give you the tiniest backrow in Joeys history. The coaching staff may have also recognised what many other astute rugby people have alluded to about Goldies' future laying in the no2 spot. Maybe he should heed the advice. Are you also saying you want the NSW II no 15 playing reserves when he gets back from Brisbane. Perhaps your talents have also not been recognised as yet?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
bigameplayer

Murphy is a brave little rooster who plays above his weight and he has to, to be in the Ones. He will never be very big but he could give a bit of cheek in Yr. 12 next year. Because of the injury to Baldwin in the GPS Is he stepped up to start in the GPS IIIs as everybody moved up. He did himself proud.

attack21

You are right about young Hookey, he is a talented player but has to learn how to play more directly because there are not too many open field opportunities in big games. He has to be more willing to run into contact when nothing else is on and trust his team wins the ruck, or to bust through. He has a lovely draw and pass but sometimes the receiver is not in a better position.

He has to be more direct in his tackling also and knock blokes over. But he's just in Yr 11 - so let's see how he goes.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
if Deegan, Schwagger, Pinisi, Sandell, Newsome, Hardy, Curtin and Costigan were all playing 16As i dont think theyd be challanged at all

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
if Deegan, Schwagger, Pinisi, Sandell, Newsome, Hardy, Curtin and Costigan were all playing 16As i dont think theyd be challanged at all

Kings and Scots 16As teams are the best in that GPS age group that I've seen this season with Kings being the stronger of the two (mind you Kellaway didn't play for Scots 16As when Kings got up 25-17 recently).

Would love to see a clash between Kings 16As and Joeys 16As with the players you mentioned playing for Joeys as I think it would be a cracker of a contest. As Kings seem to restrict their U16s from playing opens rugby whilst Joeys are content to do so it looks like a clash between the best of this age group won't happen until next year in Opens rugby. Given how poorly the Kings firsts and seconds are travelling this year no doubt quite a few of this years 16As could find themselves in the firsts next year particularly players like Jones,
Tulloch, Carter, Davis, Matson, Bateman, Stacy, Black and McCalman. No doubt the experience the Joeys U16 boys are getting in the Opens this year will serve them well and even give them a good edge next year.

R

rara10

Based on that logic Joeys should have next year in the bag eh
We will just have to wait and see.

B

baldingwingforward

Based on that logic Joeys should have next year in the bag eh
We will just have to wait and see.

Nice idea Rara - but it doesn't work like that. Newington had 9 of their supposedly unbeatable team back this year, and they have struggled. (Scots and View have beaten them in consecutive games). Have a look back at Rugbygirls posts at the start of this thread before you start getting carried away. (By the way what has happened to Rugbygirl and Blindside since Newington lost their invincibility? They've both gone strangely quiet - perhaps choking on humble pie?)

I agree Joeys will be strong next year, but i think you will find that Newington and View in particular have a number of boys returning. Barring any injuries ruling them out, View will have 3 boys playing next year (Rorke, Dempsey and Whiteley - all selected for NSW teams this year) who will be playing their 3rd year of 1st XV rugby.

Anyway this is a 2011 GPS thread - we are only 2 games in to the season. Lets leave talk of next year until the end of this season eh.

Give the boys who have worked hard enough to get in their 1st XV team for THIS season some respect and lets see how it pans out and who wins this year before we start talking about 2012!

B

brewskie

Just heard from a friend that the no.12 from iggys, H.Mcbryde is out for the season with a broken leg......he has been a solid player for the past two years for the lane cove boys any word on replacements?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Just heard from a friend that the no.12 from iggys, H.Mcbryde is out for the season with a broken leg......he has been a solid player for the past two years for the lane cove boys any word on replacements?

Poor fella, his defence has been rock solid this season... Anyone know who will replace him?

durkadurka

Peter Burge (5)
Their 12 in the 2's against Joeys was a great athlete, solid bloke of a darker complexion, from what I saw he certainly wouldn't look out of place but that was just one game...
Also think he's an Under 16er from memory, anyone from View with more insight.

RugbyNut101

Peter Burge (5)
The bloke your talking about durka is Sam Jerry, not under 16's. Was thought to be playing 1's but got injured early in the season and couldn't fight his way back.

Status
Not open for further replies.