• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Spewn, I would be happy to read about them. The challenge is that we need someone to go and watch them to write up a report.

Anyone keen to do so? Bueller... Bueller.... Bueller?

Apart from me, I doubt there will be anyone.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
If you go, I will look forward to reading your report. After Grammar won the 1st VIII this year, they must have some big units for the Rugby season...

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
I heard today that MacDonald the New number 10 has broken his hand and is out for quite a while. Anyone from New (Blindside) care to confirm of deny? Huge blow for them if its true. Lussick is good but he will get eaten up playing at 10 against a good side, also creates a problem for them at 9...
------------------------------------------------

he is out for 5 weeks

B

baldingwingforward

------------------------------------------------

he is out for 5 weeks

That is going to hurt them... Do they have anyone decent that can step up? Lussick wasn't that impressive at 9 so will he go to 10 and someone else play 9?
Timing couldn't have been worse either with the pivotal first round match coming up against View... A real test of the champions and their depth now!

Still think they will have a little too much for Scots this weekend though - although the match ups between Baldwin and Walters and Roods and Stewart will be worth going to watch!

T

The Blindside

Scots soundly defeated New at Stanmore today. The score was 27-12 when I left close to full time.

Scots were very impressive - their forwards went toe to toe with the big New pack and matched them. Their backs are very dangerous. All in all a very good performance from Scots and one which should have all the other GPS schools very worried.

New really missed Fin MacDonald. With a new halfback and Joey Lussic moving to fly half the New backline didn't function with its usual fluency. Brogan Roods scored a great long range solo try but there wasn't much else to be happy about if you are a New supporter.

The GPS competition is suddenly wide open which will make for an interesting season. Bring on new Saturday !!

M

magpie52

Riverview flogged Joeys 41-18. 7 tries to 2.

Riverview forwards dominated.

Joeys lead at half time on the back of plenty of penalties. Riverview clicked into gear in the second half and were never in trouble.

Best for Riverview 8 and 6 (think he bagged a hat trick)

B

baldingwingforward

Scots soundly defeated New at Stanmore today. New really missed Fin MacDonald. With a new halfback and Joey Lussic moving to fly half the New backline didn't function with its usual fluency

Oh dear... Have the wheels fallen off the Newington band wagon or was it just a bad week?

If the Riverview backrow do to Lussick what i saw them do to the Joeys kid Deegan today, then he and Newiongton could be in for a torrid afternoon next week!

Q

QuadeCooperFan

how did Stewart and Roods match up to each other?

also were the Old boys well behaved at the Joeys/View match?

B

baldingwingforward

also were the Old boys well behaved at the Joeys/View match?

No dramas on that front - pretty small crowd really, although not surprising given it was a trial. Can anyone confirm or deny the early kick off that has been suggested for the comp game? Would be such a shame if it is true.

T

Try Time

Through injury and other issues Newington have big problems in key positions. 2, 8, 9, 10, 15.

F

Finland Fella

"Following on from a tryless first half at Northbridge, Shore School pushed forward to secure a hard fought and well deserved 15-7 win over Kings."315theGPSrugby-blog

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Wow, I realise these are only trials but this weekend seems to have changed everything. Did the respective teams have their full strength squads out there?

Q

QuadeCooperFan

it certainly is surprising. New didn't beat Scots by as much as I thought they would, perhaps due to McDonald's absence, and if he is out next week the classy Newington backs may not be given their opportunity to shine. Especially with Vaux being View's no. 10 (i think). View performed very strongly against Joeys, far beyond my expectations and with this weekend coming to a close I suspect they may be the biggest contenders for 2011.

Kings losing to Shore certainly is surprising, good on Shore for performing above expectations. The loss of two of their better players Vilimaa (NSW 16s) and Hall (Sydney Juniors) could be detrimental coming up against Scots next week.

EDIT: Sorry about that, it was actually Scots who won

B

baldingwingforward

New didn't beat Scots by as much as I thought they would, perhaps due to McDonald's absence, and if he is out next week the classy Newington backs may not be given their opportunity to shine. QUOTE]

Quade... You know New lost to Scots today don't you? And McDonald is out for 5 to 6 weeks, basically until rnd 3 after the holidays... Things will certainly get interesting next weekend.

New vs View (view to win in a close one)
Scots vs Kings (Depends on Kings injuries but i tip Scots)
Shore vs Joeys (I think Joeys will just sneak it, although it will be close)

smithcentral

Bob McCowan (2)
Quadecooperfan, New didn't beat Scots in the 1sts at all - New went down. I am a firm New fan, but all these upsets make the comp very very exciting.

Q

QuadeCooperFan

hahah wow do i feel stupid. I accidentally misread The Blindside's post!

In that case this changes a lot!

S

shut_up_meg

New didn't beat Scots, Scots beat New and Mc Donald wouldn't have saved the New backs - not classy today!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Joeys v View

Some additional comments to what others have said:

• Joeys were ahead 13-12 at half time and good value for it but they didn't have the class or experience to keep the lead. Their ordinary handling and performance at restarts did not help them but their main problem was the quality of their opponents in the 2nd half.

• View had 4 Yr 11 lads in their starting side. Joeys had 6, and 3 from Yr. 10.

Riverview

• I was going to say that View would give New a run for their money in their competition match, then found out that New was beaten by Scots, who Joeys accounted for comfortably. What's going on? They're only trials? As you were then.

• 6. Jack Dempsey has an appropriate name for a player in a contact sport and he is pugnacious like the great boxer. He has a good straight right and straight left as he fends off players. He busted most first tackles the whole match pawing them off and once knocked a Joeys winger over with a fend 25 metres out to score in the corner. Later he sprinted in from a break with just grass in front of him and scored another. He slipped a deft pass to View's 1st try scorer into the bargain. Man of the match.

He has taken his U16 form forward from last year and is definitely a GPS and NSW candidate.

• I watched 8. Wells closely and he is a fine player. He plays a bit like Hugh Perrett of Eastwood: a closet back playing in the forwards. I'll have to watch more of him to see if he has a harder edge to his play than I saw yesterday, but he is an intelligent player and has all the skills. The other View backrower, 7. Whiteley had a terrific on-the-ball match. The Joeys' flyhalf often got ball and Whiteley at the same time.

• I watched big unit 3. Kulen for a while also, and tried to compare him with Ala'alatoa of New. His side of the scrum wasn't as solid as that of the New lad nor did he seem to be as effective elsewhere, but I noticed that he was throwing the ball to the lineout. What a GPS front row it would be with him at hooker and the two New bookends as props !! Maybe they would need a bigger team bus.

Joeys

• 15. Le Lievre showed his star quality again. This lad has all aspects of fullback play down pat and his work yesterday in high traffic areas promoting team mates running off him was a pleasure to watch.

• 5. Kovacic had another good captain's knock. The higher the score against his team, the more he tried to lift his players by example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom