• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Chief wouldn't be the first C word I've misspelt. But I'm good with P words. For example, "pernicious" . Let me illustrate its usage in a sentence. @IS is a pernicious influence on this thread.
But you'll admit, Az, he is also "keen eyed"! ;)

OAUI

Allen Oxlade (6)
Re all discussions about Newington's demise -

I have had the opportunity to see the Y12 crop of players a few times a year since U13s and they were the top team most years. They did up to U15s have a very big lad named Bradley who later left the school but was recognised as one of the strongest players in the age group. Tyrone part of that side as well and lets add he chose to and was playing up a year out of age. (Is still only or just turning 17) It is fair to say the players stepping into first this year have not provided too much impact to the team and the stars from last years title winning (sharing) side, remain good players and remain competitive, they are not as strong across the park. Not sure if Newington can win this fight as there seems as much, (maybe school biased) criticism when they lose as much as when they win. Re Tyrone. The boy was a child prodigy and nothing new for kids who dominate at U13 & U14 to have things balance out later when others eventually catch up physically. That he is still competing at a high level is the thing worth acknowledging. I think besides school rugby he was still trying to juggle and commit to both club rugby and league on a Sunday when he was 16. Anyone who saw the NSWJRU U15 final a few years back, how he would have just returned to his mark before time again being given the ball by his team to try and keep them in the game. (Same tactic had won his district a few titles in the past) He was well covered (smashed) by a team that had a number of decent types playing that day but even exhausted his team kept throwing him the ball and he never stop having a go. Comment on Knunzels return is that when he was ruled out for the early rounds with broken arm, I thought team I support chances where much improved.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Re all discussions about Newington's demise -

I have had the opportunity to see the Y12 crop of players a few times a year since U13s and they were the top team most years. They did up to U15s have a very big lad named Bradley who later left the school but was recognised as one of the strongest players in the age group. Tyrone part of that side as well and lets add he chose to and was playing up a year out of age. (Is still only or just turning 17) It is fair to say the players stepping into first this year have not provided too much impact to the team and the stars from last years title winning (sharing) side, remain good players and remain competitive, they are not as strong across the park. Not sure if Newington can win this fight as there seems as much, (maybe school biased) criticism when they lose as much as when they win. Re Tyrone. The boy was a child prodigy and nothing new for kids who dominate at U13 & U14 to have things balance out later when others eventually catch up physically. That he is still competing at a high level is the thing worth acknowledging. I think besides school rugby he was still trying to juggle and commit to both club rugby and league on a Sunday when he was 16. Anyone who saw the NSWJRU U15 final a few years back, how he would have just returned to his mark before time again being given the ball by his team to try and keep them in the game. (Same tactic had won his district a few titles in the past) He was well covered (smashed) by a team that had a number of decent types playing that day but even exhausted his team kept throwing him the ball and he never stop having a go. Comment on Knunzels return is that when he was ruled out for the early rounds with broken arm, I thought team I support chances where much improved.

I believe as do others that the issue is not Newington's attacking capabilities, but their defence. To let through 3 unanswered tries against Scots is a real disappointment for New Supporters. So in two out of their three matches played, Newington have surrendered a lead ( Kings & Scots) in the second half. It has also been suggested that Match Fitness is an issue. I could disagree with such argument either.

So clearly Newington need to get their defence right and when they get the lead,have a ruthless determination to maintain and increase that winning score.On present form Newington look very vulnerable to a Shore Victory. Remember Shore put 48 points on Barker and 28 on Cranbrook. Their defensive effort resembles something similar to these Schools, rather than that of a GPS School at the moment.

However, I do believe Newington can rise to the occasion, it is just a matter of when will they click as a defensive unit. We may not see this occur until at least round 2.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
However, I do believe Newington can rise to the occasion, it is just a matter of when will they click as a defensive unit. We may not see this occur until at least round 2.

Dismiss New's abilities at your peril would be my summation. They may not have quite clicked into gear yet but when (not if) they do they will take some scalps this season.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
AAGPS 1st XV ‘Players of the week’ – Round 2

Below, I have listed all the point winners from Round 3, according to whether they played in the front row, second row etc. Beside each player, I have also noted how many times they have been nominated this season. This week, we have a few players who make their first appearance in ‘Players of the Week’. But we also have four players who made the list for the third week running and seven lads who made their second appearance.

Front row
Charlie Jeavons-Fellows – Scots (3)
Luke Edwards – Shore (2)
Darcy Breen – Scots (1)
James Lynch – Kings (1)

Second row
Nick Brown - Kings (2)
Thomas Silk – View (1)

Back row
Dylan Pietsch – Kings (3)
Hugh Green – Scots (3)
Charles Rorke – View (2)
Tom Serhon – New (1)

Halves
Dylan Dowling – Joeys (1)
Max Sinclair – Shore (2)
James Turner – New (1)

Centres
Yirrbi Jaffer-Williams – Joeys (3)
Will Terry – View (1)

Back three
Bailey Simonsson – New (2)
Lachlan Day – Joeys (2)
Ed Gregory – Shore (2)

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
AAGPS 1st XV ‘Players of the week’ – Round 2

Below, I have listed all the point winners from Round 3, according to whether they played in the front row, second row etc. Beside each player, I have also noted how many times they have been nominated this season. This week, we have a few players who make their first appearance in ‘Players of the Week’. But we also have four players who made the list for the third week running and seven lads who made their second appearance.

Front row
Charlie Jeavons-Fellows – Scots (3)
Luke Edwards – Shore (2)
Darcy Breen – Scots (1)
James Lynch – Kings (1)

Second row
Nick Brown - Kings (2)
Thomas Silk – View (1)

Back row
Dylan Pietsch – Kings (3)
Hugh Green – Scots (3)
Charles Rorke – View (2)
Tom Serhon – New (1)

Halves
Dylan Dowling – Joeys (1)
Max Sinclair – Shore (2)
James Turner – New (1)

Centres
Yirrbi Jaffer-Williams – Joeys (3)
Will Terry – View (1)

Back three
Bailey Simonsson – New (2)
Lachlan Day – Joeys (2)
Ed Gregory – Shore (2)

I am thinking that will be the center combination and pretty close to the back 3

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
However, I do believe Newington can rise to the occasion, it is just a matter of when will they click as a defensive unit.

Having seen both Newington and Shore I think the Newington pack will prove too big and strong in the set piece. By my reckoning Shore have the lightest pack in the comp.
Newington should dominate possession in the first half and be ahead on the scoreboard.
Whether they tire and let another game slip remains the question.
Shore are certainly the fitter side.
If they are close and can pile on the pressure in the last 15 minutes a win is well within their grasp.
My heart would love Shore to notch up a memorable victory but my head says Newington will hold on this weekend.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I predict your prediction will be wide of the mark
8 names for 6 positions. I am certain about 2 , and think 3 more of them are looking very likely. 1 Newington name is missing that will probably feature. Iam still to see NEW and Kings and guess that's where the big front rowers are.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
8 names for 6 positions. I am certain about 2 , and think 3 more of them are looking very likely. 1 Newington name is missing that will probably feature. Iam still to see NEW and Kings and guess that's where the big front rowers are.

Well in about 25 days we'll have an answer I suppose

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
However, I do believe Newington can rise to the occasion, it is just a matter of when will they click as a defensive unit.

Having seen both Newington and Shore I think the Newington pack will prove too big and strong in the set piece. By my reckoning Shore have the lightest pack in the comp.
Newington should dominate possession in the first half and be ahead on the scoreboard.
Whether they tire and let another game slip remains the question.
Shore are certainly the fitter side.
If they are close and can pile on the pressure in the last 15 minutes a win is well within their grasp.
My heart would love Shore to notch up a memorable victory but my head says Newington will hold on this weekend.

Is the Newington style of playing to the wide channels suited to the big boppas that they have in the forwards? Might be one explanation for leaking tries.

Based on your post, SHore would seem best served playing an expansive game and running the big forwards around.

Short Ball

Allen Oxlade (6)
With what @Rich_E has said, anyone willing to take a stab at a GPS 1st XV?
RIVERVIEW BIAS ALERT: PROCEDE AT OWN PERIL.

1. Edwards (E)
2. Todd (S)
3. Cutler (I)
4. Brown (K)
5. Fenn (I)
6. Rorke (I)
7. Green (S)
8. Pietsch (K)
9. Brown (K)
10. Sheldon (G)
11. Taukamo (N)
12. Pirina (I)
13. Terry (I)
14. McTaggert (J)
15. Osborne (K)

2nd Man In

Frank Row (1)
With what @Rich_E has said, anyone willing to take a stab at a GPS 1st XV?

1. Helu (N)
2. Jeavons-Fellows (S)
3. Edwards (E)
4. Brown (K)
5. Fenn (I)
6. Pietsch (K)
7. Rorke (I)
8. Lawson (N)
9. Brown (K)
10. Lenehan (I)
11. Jaffer-Williams (J)
12. Wilkinson (J)