• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS - The Next Generation - U16 Competition, and Presidents XV Rep Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
AS, I think the ball is more likely to get to the fringes if you have a centre combination with good hands and who know how to find space. Lehmann and Wellington are more crash ball types. On the basis selectors selected 3 OCs and 1 Winger, I suspect either Cameron or Lehmann will end up on the wing though. Can.t see them using Wellington there.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
AS, I think the ball is more likely to get to the fringes if you have a centre combination with good hands and who know how to find space. Lehmann and Wellington are more crash ball types. On the basis selectors selected 3 OCs and 1 Winger, I suspect either Cameron or Lehmann will end up on the wing though. Can.t see them using Wellington there.

I wouldn't discount Albert Hopoate on the wing either, or OC - every Saturday he scores tries for the Opens (18s and he is just 15) he has the (size and) experience to take on the Kiwis I believe.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Not sure you can afford 2 players in a NSW starting backline who are described thus - "neither have great hands". Whilst each may be a strong runner, if the ball dies with them each time they are tackled, the rest of the backline is nullified.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Yes would love to know.Also would really like to see the winner of each GPS and CAS age group play off ,all in 1 day, this has been touted for many many years,and would take 1 sat.Especially given that there are essentially 6 schools in each association these days.Or am I in a minority?
At minimum it would be fantastic to see each weeks results posted of both groups!
What does everyone else think?

Props rule

Frank Nicholson (4)
I like that idea. I think the boys know who is winning and where they stand but no one else has a clue. It would be interesting to see how the different age groups are progressing at the different schools. Also at that age a lot of the CAS boys and GPS boys play in the same club teams so an end of season day for charity and bragging rights before the athletics kicks off properly would be fun and close out the season and the boys would get something out of it playing for GPS and CAS pride before all the rep stuff kicks off for real.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Does anyone know who is winning the younger GPS age group comps at this stage (13's, 14's, 15's)

I believe Joeys are the top performing school amongst the 13As, followed by Kings. Regret to say I have no idea about the 14s or 15s, but I ask that you support my concept of a all inclusive site for schoolboy results that I wrote on the 1st XV GPS Rugby site. This is done in the UK and in Queensland. I hope NSW schools can cover all teams from GPS,CAS and ISA schools, including 1st & 2nd Divisions.

Props rule

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think Joeys 15a's side was unbeaten over the last few seasons until a loss at Riverview this year (1 win and 1 loss puts them equal first I would imagine). Kings 14's are quite strong I believe.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Props Rule and team,

Have a look at AAGPS site, re a grand final tournament system between the GPS and CAS schools by age group, there are some interesting thoughts, and I would be keen to see yours.
I know in the CAS 13's comp, Waverley are unbeaten, Trinity are very strong in the 14's, and there are some strong teams in the 15's and 16's.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Congratulations, to the Newington and Scots 16As for producing a high quality game at Stanmore today. Although New won 43-29, Scots served up a massive comeback against New after being down at either 26-0 or 31-0.

Newington were most impressive in the first half and were scoring tries with superb support play. Nothing brilliant from Scots, but a tradesman like effort that reduced the Newington's margin.

After this game I would rate our 16As superior to the 2nd XV in about all departments.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Great to see the Sidesteppa franchise bringing it the masses yet again. You should seek out some crowd surfing sponsorship from the G&GR faithful SS - at least enough to cover petrol money and bacon & egg rolls!

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Update after Round 8

1: Joeys 7 wins 1 loss
2: Kings 5 wins 1 draw 2 Losses
3: Newington 4 wins 1 draw 3 losses
4: Riverview 3 win 4 losses and a washout
5: Scots 2 wins 5 losses and a washout
6: Shore 1 win 7 losses

Final 2 rounds:

Round 9: K v I, S v J, E v N Match of the Round Shore V New. Tipping an upset!

Round 10: K v E, N v J, I v S

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Agree now this was a high quality game by the two front runners of the competition. Great defence by Joeys in the closing minutes sealed the victory.

Joeys dominated in the first half with a very physical forward display and some intimidating defence. This caused mistakes which allowed the backs to score 3 unconverted tries out wide. At half time it looked like it might be a cakewalk.

However, not surprisingly Kings came out hard in the second half with a never say die approach & quite rightfully took advantage of some not very smart play by Joeys at times who showed ill discipline & poor hands including a sin-bin. Kings got a sniff, scored 2 converted tries to get right back into the match & take the lead 17-15 with a few minutes to go.

I did raise my eyebrows a bit when I saw Kings had decided to play Minogue at fly half instead of inside centre after his devastating running in the second half of the first round at Parramatta. No doubt they had their reasons but I don't think it is his best position.

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
I feel that the Newington 16a's side has really developed this year and begun to work much better as a team. Next year and the year after that Newington's first XV will be one to watch out for.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Joeys dominated in the first half with a very physical forward display and some intimidating defence. This caused mistakes which allowed the backs to score 3 unconverted tries out wide. At half time it looked like it might be a cakewalk.

However, not surprisingly Kings came out hard in the second half with a never say die approach & quite rightfully took advantage of some not very smart play by Joeys at times who showed ill discipline & poor hands including a sin-bin. Kings got a sniff, scored 2 converted tries to get right back into the match & take the lead 17-15 with a few minutes to go.

I did raise my eyebrows a bit when I saw Kings had decided to play Minogue at fly half instead of inside centre after his devastating running in the second half of the first round at Parramatta. No doubt they had their reasons but I don't think it is his best position.
28mins highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.