• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools -Trial Games and Selections 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

the berries

McCallum and Seage have both stated they are heading towards full time union. Both have been offered new contracts with leagues clubs. Both have not re signed. That fact.

R

rugby_man

They are both very good players. They are both very exciting to watch and if they stay, IMO they have definite potential to be picked up by a Super 14 franchise.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Interesting about Seage went to school with him, loved his league. Very dedicated bloke, very good news to hear he is pursuing union.

C

catchpole

Thanks guys,

You obviously get around to a wider variety of games than me and your informed comments provide a detailed background to watching the GPS v. CAS & GPS v. CHS games later this month.

C

catchpole

Ghost,

You pose an interesting perspective on Dane Atkinson's selection chances being affected by his contractual pre-commitment.

I also agree with your suggestion about the depth of midfielders causing some to be selected on the wing. It becomes a real test for a young player to take the next step in Rugby, out of position, against quality opposition. However it happens all the time and is just another step along the way.

In the GPS, CAS & CHS games three squads will be selected to allow for substitution and re-selection through the course of the representative season. How many games will NSW play in 2010 inlcuding the Australian Championships and how many players will NSW take into the business end of the season?

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
McCallum and Seage have both stated they are heading towards full time union. Both have been offered new contracts with leagues clubs. Both have not re signed. That fact.

I heard the rumours they are going to West Harbour. Glad to hear it's fact they haven't signed for rugby league.

T

the berries

CHS Team

Hi every one. Spent all morning attempting to find this site. Finally did it. I noticed earlier in the week some body suggested a few changes to the first fifteen. And just a question what are all these icons flashing about on the new post page . Do they cost or what.
cheers

T

the berries

I know how leagues clubs recruit players but at this stage I have no idea of how union clubs do it. any ideas.

T

the berries

Just a small bit of info regarding the chs fly, McCallum he played the match with a bennets fracture to his right hand and a terrible bruising to his legs The result of pedestrian accident walking his younger brother to the shops . A car mounted the pavement at the underground shopping centre at Rouse Hill last tuesday afternoon. Now that has got to hurt. By the way Seage is showing a strong inclination towards the Pirates.
cheers

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
A big weekend. GPS teams being announced. Bad luck to Dane Atkinson who I believe is injured (rolled his ankle at last training session for NSW 18's mungoes).

A big selection trial tomorrow:

Sunday 20 June 2010
Warringah Rugby Park

2.45 pm CHS 1 vs ISA 1
1.30 pm CHS 2 vs ISA 2
10.50 am CHS 3 vs ISA/AICES

I heard CHS centre Junior Nuitio is out injured and will be replaced by Tony Santini from 2's. Santini deserves his chance after some good form. Five eight Gerard McCallum has survived the NSW v QLD under 18 game played at Suncorp on Wednesday and will play.

I hope for NSW Schools hopes that both Atkinson and Nuitio get over their injuries quickly.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Thanks guys,

You obviously get around to a wider variety of games than me and your informed comments provide a detailed background to watching the GPS v. CAS & GPS v. CHS games later this month.

Just for those interested, and especially for those who have ignored ISA in their NSW team slections, thebest display of rugby in sometime was on display this afternoon at Rat Park when ISA beat CHS 69-10. If Brisby, Purcell and Hingano are not NSW's midfiled then the palyers that are must be truly excepional as these three were quite something out of the ordinary

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good post skull - here's my take:

ISA 70 CHS 10

What a thrashing – a point a minute. It's a pity that ISA don't play CAS because based on how CAS just beat CHS on the bell, ISA would have a second trophy. And I reckon they'd take GPS also.

The match was almost one of St. Augustines v Hills Sports High School as Augies had 10 lads in the ISA 1st XV and HSHS 8 in the CHS Ones – and both had 6 in the Twos for reserves. I've seen Augies play twice this year and they are the best school I've seen for many years and superior to the 2010 Kings team who I have also seen twice.

So, it is no wonder that ISA is so strong in 2010 and one hopes that selections for NSW Ones reflects it.

Barely any of the CHS lads advanced their cause for state selection but the selectors may take into account the dominance of the other team and the difficulty to shine when one's teammates are having an off day. The exception was their enforcer and borderline nut case 1. Lolohaea who is over 130kgs but played actively to the final whistle. He likes shifting bodies so much he could have a future as an undertaker.

CHS flyhalf McCullam was outplayed by Brisby of ISA and likewise CHS energiser bunny 7. Broome was headed by Conlon. CHS 13 Satini had some good runs but he often spoilt them by a poor pass on contact. His direct opponent Hingano for ISA was my man of the match.

Hingano is very hard to stop and was hardly ever put down first time with his fend and hit a spin. If he was stopped he'd stay on his feet and keep pumping his legs forward like Digby Ioane. He's the best NSW school 13 I have seen this year though I will concede that 4 viewings is a small sample.

Likewise ISA 12 Purcell, a star of the U/16 tournament last year, is the best 12. He's like a faster version of Lloyd Walker who we older folks remember, and for his age is a marvellous facilitator of other players.

Was looking forward to comparing similar players 8. Havea of CHS and 6. Vaka of ISA. Until he went of injured Vaka had the better game. Havea had some good runs and scored a try but was often forced to crab sideways by tough ISA defence.

But wait – there's more: it wasn't all Augies for ISA. 14. Smith and 15. Keary, both from Oakhill, had slashing games and always at a high pace that had the CHS lads grabbing air. You'd have to consider them for NSW.

CHS II 42 ISA 22
(I think)

CHS did better in the Twos with 140 kg lock Skelton having a storming game and being more active than against CAS. 6. Leao was also a handful and in the backs 11. made some strong breaks by fending off folks, and fullback Vaka had a top game and booted the ball a long way.

Best for ISA was THP Malu, a real goer.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I was appointed to 2nds St Augustines v Pius yesterday. Had a chat to the 1sts referee who happened to referee the Joeys v Kings game earlier this month. He obviously was in awe at some of the skills but thought Kings would just pip Augustines if they were to play. I think Kings beat Joeys by 30 and Augustines beat them by 20?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Interesting that. He would probably have a better idea than I would but I remembered that SJC was flattered a bit against SAC. The trial was easily won but St. Augustines became lax at the end and let Joeys in for a couple of tries. All we Joeys tragics were buzzing about Augies play after the game and though Kings beat Joeys by more they didn't look as dominant somehow - as silly as that sounds.

Kings would have the better structured play and St Augustines the better expansive game. Would love to see the two midfields against each other - 4 good boys there.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I do but do you want it bad enough for me to type the 2 teams from my programme?

Come on Lee, your my hero on this forum, dont shatter my perception. Is it available online?

Keary has a league background; a NSW pick could keep him in rugby.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think Kings v St Augs would be a classic matchup, Kings forwards would clearly dominate, however if the St Augs backs got any ball I don't think Kings could contain them.
Pity we can only conjecture as to what would happen, as many posts on Sportal discussed, it is a shame the schoolboy competitions are not revamped so the best can play the best.
I know it is just a dream as there are too many competing interests to allow it to ever happen.
It is a good dream tho!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Lee great report re CHS v ISA, summed up the day pretty well.
Very disappointing from CHS, only players IMO that did their chances no harm were 7,8,9 & 15 in the 1's & I think the right winger in the 2's. I am predicting a similar fate when CHS take on GPS. So it it will be interesting to see the selectors take, when teams are announced.
Will be interesting to see how the ISA forwards perform against what will undoubtedly a more structured side in CAS.
The gap in quality between the 1's & 2's seemed to be much greater this year than in the past, or am I being a little harsh?

Status
Not open for further replies.