• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Domestic Rugby 2021

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Crusaders halftime team talk:

561mbq.jpg

I trust the morally upstanding members of the Evil Emp..... much celebrated Crusaders franchise to make the right choice.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
gnZi4k.gif
DMAC LEAVES THE DEATH STAR IN HIS REARVIEW

Suck on that Smithy ya biased fucken fanboi tosser.

Feels weird to say it but DMAC was very impressive at 10. Kept moving forward which meant so did his runners, the cantabs never got their line speed together to move up on him. Plus his vision at hiffing it wide when the time was right was perfect

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well enjoyed that, and thought at end, I remember a few weeks back another poster asking (and in a genuine quetion, nothing nasty) what NZR was going to do about Crusaders , I said then they should do nothing, as I believe NZ teams like to raise their level to match the best, would never want players spread around to even it out. Last couple of weeks have kind of pointed to what I was trying to say, underdogs knocking over supposed better teams. I love it!
As DP said DMac went ok and underplayed his hand at 10, almost caused the Crusaders I though a bit of a problem doing it because they maybe expected him to run it more. But thing that really pleased me was seeing ALB looking like he getting back on top his game, he went bloody well. Anyway happy with that, will sit back and watch Tahs and Force now.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Points table looks like this:

CruSadists 23
Tribe 16
Loss Bleus 15
Clan 14
'canes 6

Clan only have 'canes left & that's in R10, even if they bag maximum points they'll finish third IMO.

If CruSadists beat Loss Bleus next week they'll host the Final but if Loss Bleus win that potentially sets up their R10 match v Tribe as a virtual Qualifying Final i.e. winner hosts Final, loser can't make it (I'm assuming Tribe beat 'canes next week which I don't think is unreasonable).

Edit: had to duck into work for an alarm activation (false alarm, of course) so back to my assessment of where SRAo is headed.......

Obviously Tribe & Loss Bleus can't both win their remaining two matches & whereas I wouldn't like to pick a result in CruSadists v Loss Bleus or Loss Bleus v Tribe, I do feel Tribe will beat 'canes (& Clan likely will, too). On that basis I think the only possible Final permutations are:

1. CruSadists v Tribe at NLP
2. CruSadists v Loss Bleus at NLP
3. Tribe v CruSadists at FMG, Tribe having somehow improved their points differential by ~80.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sums it up WOB, I will also be a bit surprised if Canes topple Tribe next week. And realistically Blues maybe out of finals if that happens, unless they knock over Crusaders.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ Tribe really are the form team right now, not bad considering that a month ago they were in danger of setting a new record for most consecutive losses by a NZ Super Rugby team...

So do we gaive credit to McMillan (I like the way he thinks etc) or is it a carry on from what Gatland was doing last year?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I think the former. He's shown with BofP the ability to get a team playing better than the sum of its parts & that seems to sum up the Tribe right now esp in the tight-5 where even locals here in H-town expected them to struggle. Loosies have been great all year as has Weber & dare I say it DMac is in career-best form & may be worth looking at as the AB #23.

Edit: Tribe are big on "Chiefs Mana" & I don't think we should underestimate McMillan's other role as coach of Maori AB in getting the best out of a group of players a majority of whom are (I'm pretty sure) Maori.

Edit: keep getting interrupted by Boss Lady (work not home variety :))wanting updates on the alarm activation situation: she's at the One Base fishing comp we sponsor & clearly bored and/ or looking for an excuse to come home.....

So, I think Gatland coming back next year (assuming Ringinland don't sign him in the meantime) is gunna have a hard time convincing the fans if not the players that he not McMillan should be head coach. That's something that would've been unthinkable when Gats first returned from o/s.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Blues shot their load months ago. Got high on their own press, forgot to exhale, and swallowed the lot.

Sotutu needs a massive rocket. His lineout prowess should be the only way he's recalled to the AB's. If him and Akira can't be arsed the ploddy Cantab farmboys will get brought in to do their usual honest toiling journeymans job. Or, preferably, Jacobsen.

Gatland? The guy is a laughing stock. SuperCoach goes 0-10, has the team playing like reprogrammed automatons, he fucks off, players eventually come right, start kicking arse again, then Gatland expects to come BACK to work on an 0-11? LOL. They should send Hika Elliot and Liam Messam to the airport in the "Once Were Warriors" car as a "welcoming" committee.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Blues shot their load months ago. Got high on their own press, forgot to exhale, and swallowed the lot.

Sotutu needs a massive rocket. His lineout prowess should be the only way he's recalled to the AB's. If him and Akira can't be arsed the ploddy Cantab farmboys will get brought in to do their usual honest toiling journeymans job. Or, preferably, Jacobsen.

Gatland? The guy is a laughing stock. SuperCoach goes 0-10, has the team playing like reprogrammed automatons, he fucks off, players eventually come right, start kicking arse again, then Gatland expects to come BACK to work on an 0-11? LOL. They should send Hika Elliot and Liam Messam to the airport in the "Once Were Warriors" car as a "welcoming" committee.

Think the thing with Gatland I thought he was already contracted to come back, I recall McMillan saying early in year that he was going to be assistant caoch next year under him and very happy to be.
I would be looking at suggesting to Gats that he just stays at beach house at Waihi. And don't think it would worry him actually.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ I think the former. He's shown with BofP the ability to get a team playing better than the sum of its parts & that seems to sum up the Tribe right now esp in the tight-5 where even locals here in H-town expected them to struggle. Loosies have been great all year as has Weber & dare I say it DMac is in career-best form & may be worth looking at as the AB #23.

Edit: Tribe are big on "Chiefs Mana" & I don't think we should underestimate McMillan's other role as coach of Maori AB in getting the best out of a group of players a majority of whom are (I'm pretty sure) Maori.

Edit: keep getting interrupted by Boss Lady (work not home variety :))wanting updates on the alarm activation situation: she's at the One Base fishing comp we sponsor & clearly bored and/ or looking for an excuse to come home...

So, I think Gatland coming back next year (assuming Ringinland don't sign him in the meantime) is gunna have a hard time convincing the fans if not the players that he not McMillan should be head coach. That's something that would've been unthinkable when Gats first returned from o/s.
Yep well thats how I feel, I said at begiining of year after hearing him talk I really liked the cut of his jib, and I don't think we should underestimate the 'Chiefs Mana' in bringing out the best in this team. As Weber says McMillan reminds them that FMG stadium is built on the site of an old Pa.
I will perhaps give Gats some credit on DMac, I know he worked a lot with him last year on when to kick or just take off.