• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Keep hearing chat about Colts moving to Under 20 next year. Any truth or is it the normal talk that pops up as the lads enter their last year of under age rugby ?

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
There is a rumour that the IRB are looking at moving to U19 as to much conflict with professional comps for U20.
The Qld draft for school will be a year older in 6 years time. Might be time to think about it then BUT.....
There is real issue in the late teenage years.
- GPS schools make elite players repeat
- good school leavers play grade anyway
- participation in U16 - U19 is at an all time low (lower than any pointing the last 33 years)

What is the benefit of moving to U20?
There are bigger problems to solve but someone really needs to care.

Did you catch the Colts 2 results from last week:
Colts 2
Logan City wof Souths
Sunnybank wof Wests
GPS wof Easts

No need to worry - participation will be up another 50% this year!

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
There is a rumour that the IRB are looking at moving to U19 as to much conflict with professional comps for U20.
The Qld draft for school will be a year older in 6 years time. Might be time to think about it then BUT...
There is real issue in the late teenage years.
- GPS schools make elite players repeat
- good school leavers play grade anyway
- participation in U16 - U19 is at an all time low (lower than any pointing the last 33 years)

What is the benefit of moving to U20?
There are bigger problems to solve but someone really needs to care.

Did you catch the Colts 2 results from last week:
Colts 2
Logan City wof Souths
Sunnybank wof Wests
GPS wof Easts

No need to worry - participation will be up another 50% this year!

Isn't QLD the only state where colts are u19's? Surey this hurts QLD players when trailing for Aust u20 as they've played with/ against players a year older. I also disagree that 'good' players play grades. Of this years QLD u20's side, over 80% played majority of the season in Colts.

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
The key would be to realign Colts to under 20s and maybe Junior colts to Under 18 level. The key problem being a genuine competition to keep the kids on the field at 16-17 age group rather than in a girls lap or on a skateboard. Would fix the pathway and help offer a competitive option to league. Just a side note most kids in the Logan squad are mainly Under 17s and the club has used Colts 2 as a spring board to keeping these boys from going elsewhere. Haven't done too bad for themselves as they sit 10 clear of next team on top but what it has promoted is that they are playing week to week in a safe competitive environment to which unfortunately the BJRU competition does not offer anymore

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Isn't QLD the only state where colts are u19's? Surey this hurts QLD players when trailing for Aust u20 as they've played with/ against players a year older. I also disagree that 'good' players play grades. Of this years QLD u20's side, over 80% played majority of the season in Colts.

Banks UQ - Premier
Gale UQ - Premier (Reds)
Gunn Easts - Premier
Placid Easts- Premier
Kaitu'u Souths - Premier
McIntyre Sunnybank - Premier
Quick Sunnybank - Premier
Fakaosilea Sunnybank - Premier
Payne Brothers - Premier
Quick Sunnybank - Premier Colts

80% - Really??

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Banks UQ - Premier
Gale UQ - Premier (Reds)
Gunn Easts - Premier
Placid Easts- Premier
Kaitu'u Souths - Premier
McIntyre Sunnybank - Premier
Quick Sunnybank - Premier
Fakaosilea Sunnybank - Premier
Payne Brothers - Premier
Quick Sunnybank - Premier Colts

80% - Really??

I think you'll find that Payne, Kaitu'u, Gale, & Banks played the majority of last season in colts.

You've also named Quick twice - once in Prem's & once in Colts. To date this season he's played Colts.

That leaves 4x players.

So yes, really.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lots to not much all around it would seem.
qe8aru7a.jpg

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If the Filth knock off University without them achieving a bonus point, the Heavies could well and truly miss the finals for the first time is deadest years.

Bond just need to knock off Easts.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Ls
If the Filth knock off University without them achieving a bonus point, the Heavies could well and truly miss the finals for the first time is deadest years.

Bond just need to knock off Easts.
Last time was 2007.
Before that I was told it was the early 90's but I am not sure if that's correct or not

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Ls
Last time was 2007.
Before that I was told it was the early 90's but I am not sure if that's correct or not

1994 Uni Prem colts didn't make the finals. Was a pretty good team too. The other colts teams all made the finals that year though.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS Prem Colts have been on a bit of a slide since securing the minor premiership a few weeks back. Seem to have taken the foot off a little bit which isn't an ideal run coming in to the finals.

Lots of injuries down at the club in Colts though, only about 4 front rowers fit across all three teams. Also with Splendour on this weekend I'm sure some teams (not just at GPS but all clubs) will be struggling for numbers so wouldn't take the coming weekends results as much indication of how things will look come finals.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It will be interesting at Ashgrove this weekend. It looks like it could be a dress rehearsal for the following week at Ballymore. The Sunnybank and GPS colts teams seem to be matched up quite evenly so players being away may have an effect on the results.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
I'm not sure Uni warrant making finals. Aside from last weeks come from behind win over GPS, they haven't beaten any of the top sides for a couple of months now.

No doubt 25x full scholarships will be offered next season if they crash out.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm not sure Uni warrant making finals. Aside from last weeks come from behind win over GPS, they haven't beaten any of the top sides for a couple of months now.

No doubt 25x full scholarships will be offered next season if they crash out.

As long as they bit the Filth this weekend it will be deemed a good year.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Last weekend @ Crosby

Jeeps Colts II - Uncontested (have been all year apparently)
Jeeps Colts I - Uncontested
Jeeps Prem Colts - Contested but were under pressure, lost a couple against the feed.

All 3 teams are in the Semi's in 2 weeks. Surely cannot start a finals match uncontested. The dynamics of the game are too significantly altered. Invariably much to the advantage of the team starting uncontested.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Last weekend @ Crosby

Jeeps Prem Colts - Contested but were under pressure, lost a couple against the feed.

All 3 teams are in the Semi's in 2 weeks. Surely cannot start a finals match uncontested. The dynamics of the game are too significantly altered. Invariably much to the advantage of the team starting uncontested.

A few incorrect facts there girtbysea.

GPS Colts 2 have only gone uncontested on three occasions in 2014 - unfortunately two of these occasions have been against Brothers.

GPS Colts 1 went uncontested for the first time on the weekend due to lack of front rowers through injury.

GPS Premier Colts had a front row made up of two Colts 1 players and one regular Prem Colt.

I'm sure the teams will be doing everything they can to contest in every team for the finals but as you'd be aware its not safe to throw just anyone into the position. I myself am a big scrum advocate and have seen all three of those teams with strong scrums this season but the nature of their injuries and simple lack of front rowers has become an issue in the last couple of weeks.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Last weekend @ Crosby

Girtbysea, I'm interested as to how well the Brothers front row went. Did you think they were dominant just because Jeeps were under strength or are they scrummaging well regardless.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Girtbysea, I'm interested as to how well the Brothers front row went. Did you think they were dominant just because Jeeps were under strength or are they scrummaging well regardless.

Brothers Prem Colts were down one regular prop (broken hand I think). From what I have seen to date their scrum has been solid and reliable rather than dominant. Accepting that Jeeps have a prop problem it was probably more down to the disparity.

Status
Not open for further replies.