1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2019

Discussion in 'Club Rugby' started by rugbysthewinner, Oct 13, 2018.

1. George Peter Frank Row (1)

UQ v Brothers tomorrow at Crosby Rd. Will be the battle of the backrow.
    UQ - Engelbrecht, Roach, Beil
    Brothers - Skelton, Ali, Cross
    Sure to be a close contest.
    UQ by 5.
  2. QLDTalentscout Bob McCowan (2)

Agree although don't be surprised if margin is a bit wider than than this. Sunnybank had no answers for UQ last week and given Brothers managed a draw with the Dragons there could be a couple of tries gap
  3. The Nomad Syd Malcolm (24)

Sunnybank far from their best last week , even the much talked up front row didn’t dominate. The line out completely misfired, think they only won two of their own throws the entire game. UQ were very good, but the Bank had a bad day, wouldn’t read too much into the result.
  4. George Craswell Bob McCowan (2)

University 22–19 against Brothers.Brothers led 19-0 at halftime. Courageous come back by Uni led by their 6 and 7.
    Massive penalty count against Brothers mainly for hanging on in the tackle. Surprisingly Uni outside backs were the match winners.
    Best for Brothers we’re 3, 4, 5 and 8.
    Getwithme likes this.
  5. RugbyLover1978 Frank Row (1)

19-0 lead at half time and they loose! Something similar happened against sunnybank didnt it?
    At the start of the season I was considering brothers to be premiership favourites but after 2 loses and a draw they seem to be a side lacking consistency and the ability to close a game!!!
    Wont be surprised to see a few changes this weekend, possibility in the back 3 and halves.
  6. Gaz Redmond Frank Row (1)

Souths by 30
    UQ by 40
    Brothers by 10
    Sunnybank by 5
  7. Happyman Larry Dwyer (12)

Colts is now halfway through the season so now is an interesting time for many of the boys. For many the season will start to seem like the long distance race that it is after short school seasons. My thoughts in ladder order.
    Souths the next three weeks will determining whether they claim the minor premiership they play the remainder of the top four followed by the bottom half of the draw
    UQ next best favourite same win loss have two fairly easy weeks then it gets tough for them.
    Brothers have Souths next week at home in what could define there season win and the minor premiership is in play lose and they will be playing for top four only.
    Sunnybank have been unspectacular compared to where I thought they would be they have Souths this week and there premiership aspirations will be on the line on Saturday.
    Easts are in fifth and are valiant scrappers it is hard to see them putting the necessary five wins together in the second half of the season.
    Wests are in the same boast as Easts but probably have more strike power so perhaps have more upside in them.
    Bond are in an interesting position in that Colts 1 have no chance and frankly have not lived up to expectations so do they start getting players eligible for finals in colts two where they are top of the table to try and win something there. I would be surprised if the powers that be let them get away with some of the stuff they did last year.
    Norths are capable of upsets in the second round as they develop more cohesion but cannot make finals.
    GPS have zero wins they seem to have a few issues with recruitment. It could be a long 8 games for those boys as the loses mount.

I think the top four is set but it is just the order to be determined.

Thoughts.
  8. Sgt Slaughter Herbert Moran (7)

I agree - I think the 4 are set but I do expect East, Bond and West to create a few up sets to determine the pecking order at the end.
  9. The Nomad Syd Malcolm (24)

Yep , next three weeks could possibly set up the minor premiership for Souths. SB , Brothers and then UQ will be a tough ask , but win them and top spot is theirs . That is basically the top 4 right there, just a matter of order.

GPS probably the biggest surprise for me , hopefully can find some rhythm and finish the season strongly. Are a better team than the win / loss stats show, just need to look at their for & against to realise they should be placed higher than a couple of teams ahead of them.

Easts pushed Brothers last week and seem to be improving as the season progresses. Think along with Wests and GPS could cause the odd upset of the top 4 in the second half of the season , of course Wests have already upset UQ once this season for their only loss thus far.

Will certainly get interesting as teams get players back from injury and potentially first grade come finals time .

Souths v SB should be a cracker , with Souths looking for a bit of revenge from Rd 1.
  10. Trevor Iger Frank Row (1)

Agreed with the top 4 Ted, Souths, Uni, Brothers and Sunnybank are a clear step above the rest of the competition with 8 points separating 4th and 5th and 12 points separating 1st and 5th.
    Souths: have had any easy 5 weeks versing the bottom 5 teams. This week will be a good battle between two big packs souths v sunnybank. Front row and no10 have been the stand outs.
    UQ: incredible come from behind win against brothers really was season defining and luckily have a few easy weeks to come. no 7 has been out standing, flashes of pocock in him
    Brothers: have struggled in defence the past couple week, on average letting in 4 tries in the past 4 weeks. Have also struggled with injuries (Cross no8, Creighton no12, Soli no14) Opportunity for others to step up. Souths v Brothers @ Crosby in a fortnight set to be a cracker!
    Sunnybank: The boys from the bank have struggled for consistency this year, loses to UQ and easts hurting the campaign to make back to back gfs. I expect a big 2nd half of the season from Sunnybank as the big boys keep getting fitter.

Predicted top 4 come end of season:
    UQ
    Souths
    Brothers
    Sunnybank
  11. steveadams12 Stan Wickham (3)

With the 2nd half of the season set to kick of, what do we all see the NRC 19’s teams forming as? Lots of competition for spots
  12. Happyman Larry Dwyer (12)

Mate you can only hope selectors use there eyes and not base the selections on previous schools or reputations . There are a few boys who played Rep last year who have been average IMHO and a few who have never had a look in who are playing some really good footy and deserve recognition.

It will be interesting to see how it goes.
    Sgt Slaughter and Gaz Redmond like this.
  13. Gaz Redmond Frank Row (1)

this is who has impressed me this year. few of premier grade colts to play urc

1. Wolske (Souths) Lovelock (Brothers)
    2. Mahina (Sunnybank) Dobbins (Brothers)
    3. Sula-Siaosi (Souths) Tominkiko (Sunnybank)
    4. Frewtell (Easts) Macdonald (Souths)
    5. Leepa (Sunnybank) Stocker (Brothers)
    6. Engelbrecht (UQ) Round (Wests)
    7. Roach (UQ) Smit (Wests)
    8. Beil (UQ) Cross (Brothers)
    9. Kirk (Easts) Jeans (Bond)
    10. Leerenttveld (Souths) Gordan (Wests)
    11. Lea (Souths) Stowers (Bond)
    12. Creighton (Brothers) Smith (Souths)
    13. Flook (Brothers) Spicer (Wests)
    14. Ralston (Brothers) Minogue (Bond)
    15. Carroll (Brothers) Whiteside (Wests)
    PPRugby likes this.
  14. steveadams12 Stan Wickham (3)

I think your mostly right but I think Fourie who has played premier grade for Souths and Winchester who has played premier grade for bond are better option then Mahina/dobbins. Leslie over frewtell, Samu over Minogue or Smith
  15. The Nomad Syd Malcolm (24)

When is the NRC U19 played?

Still time for players coming back from injury to impress?

Tom Van Der Schief back this week from ankle surgery would be at least in the discussion if gets back to the level he was at last year.

Torah Moe has been in prems for UQ , would like to see him against his own age group.
  16. steveadams12 Stan Wickham (3)

I would swap Torah in for lovelock in the teams listed above, he played well at NRC 19’s level last year I thought
  17. Roberts Rugby Billy Sheehan (19)

Roach at 7, Carroll at 15 and Jeans at 9. You will probably find Gordon and Ralston will be a fair chance at NRC.
  18. Roberts Rugby Billy Sheehan (19)

There’s Kibble too. Probably moving more towards NRC.
    The Nomad likes this.
  19. The Nomad Syd Malcolm (24)

Yep agree, also Peteia , but hopefully he is moving more towards RWC!
    SouthernX and Roberts Rugby like this.
  20. PPRugby Frank Row (1)

This rounds Tips

Bond v Brothers - Bond in an upset
    Norths v West’s - West’s 15+
    UQ v Easts - UQ by plenty
    Souths v Bank - Bank by 10+