• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BOLO_lol

Heard Brisbane State High 16 A's came 2nd this year losing only to BGS and TSS by 5 points?

C

Coastboy

1. Josh Evans
2. Jake Lyon
3. Sam Clifton
4. Jake Upfield
5. Luke Papworth
6. Joel Brown
7. Dylan Paraka
8. Evander Guttenbiel
9. PJ Van den Berg
10. Mitch Third
11. Benji Neal
12. Nili Fielea
13. Fred Dorrough
14. Isaac Nathan
15. Ed Gibson

Paraka is obviously the 'smokey', being the only one without some form of First XV experience. It will be interesting to see if he can develop like his brother Pettowa.
while I agree with your backline I cant see Papworth being moved from 7 considering the incredible season he's had this year in that position and I think there are still a few positions to be fought for in the forwards particularly second row

FreshCream

Frank Row (1)
Yes BSHS 16A's Came second and after smashing churchie 28-19 they deserved their spot in the top 3. Standouts were Josh Wood who broke the churchie line on multiple occasion. too bad the BSHS flyhalf (Jake Strachan) and inside centre (Scott Husband) got injured during the game.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
Yes BSHS 16A's Came second and after smashing churchie 28-19 they deserved their spot in the top 3. Standouts were Josh Wood who broke the churchie line on multiple occasion. too bad the BSHS flyhalf (Jake Strachan) and inside centre (Scott Husband) got injured during the game.
I wouldn't call a 9 point margin a smashing and churchie came 3rd last in the competition for 16's. Not overly impressive but they still have a good team

L

lightdark

1. TGS - A ridiculous amount of returning talent. Not too sure how their 16's went, but if I recall correctly the likes of Placid etc are hanging around. WILL MISS: Potgeiter? WATCH: Jonah Placid - thrilling with ball in hand.
  2. TSS - Have a team full of guys with 1st XV and rep experience. Should be an exciting team to watch, the Third-Fielia combo will be a tough one to match. WILL MISS: ? WATCH: Third, Fielia, Evans
  3. NC - Will miss Tuttle & James, but you can always count on Nudgee to hang around near the top. Strong age group, could exceed expectations. WILL MISS: Tuttle, Fitzgerald, Sikimeti. WATCH: James Tuttle
  4. BBC - If they're not hit by injuries again, BBC should be strong. Could even go a few places better. WILL MISS: Dyring? WATCH: Fakaosileia, Quick, Sala.
  5. BGS - The major question for BGS is who will replace Greene & Aiono? Plenty of returning talent in Laud, Marsden etc but will miss some key players. If they can find a replacement 10 they could go higher, only time will tell. WILL MISS: Greene, Greene, Greene, Greene, Greene, Greene, Aiono, Greene, Gilbert, Greene. WATCH: Laud, Marsden.
  6. IGS - A real unknown. Lose as much, if not more, than any other school. IGS always have a knack of hanging around, and at the moment I put them 6th because the 3 schools below don't look deserving of being higher. WILL MISS: Preen, Hayes, Pleash.
  7. BSHS - A strong 16's age group, but not many 11's contributed to a woeful 1st XV this year.
  8. GT - Just like last year, Terrace returns roughly 7 players. Major losses are obviously Dalgleish and Given, but losing French (height) and Mellor (lineout throwing, ball runner) will also be a major issue considering nobody below seems to fit their skill sets. No real options at flyhalf in the grade's below, except maybe for Alex Horan. Size in the backline will again be an issue, with small backs appearing to be the theme (Harvey, Jenkins). WILL MISS: Dalgleish, Given, Mellor, Heenan, French. WATCH: McNamee, Fowler, Wilson, Larosa.
  9. ACGS - How the mighty have fallen. 4 (?) players return, combined with a weak 16's age group equals a wooden spoon in the 101st year. WILL MISS: Ioane, Eason, Oppenheimer. WATCH: MacMillan, Schafer, Tanuvasa.

WebbEllis

Ward Prentice (10)
it's hard to believe BBC are hot favourites to make a top three finish next season with such a devastating season in the 16's..
it doesn't matter how many 16yo are playing in the 1sts, you need the depth to have a good quality side to compete against the better performing schools
While depth is essential, it can't really be blamed in the 16As for not doing well if a team lacks star players due to the 1sts. Look at BGS. I don't think their 16 A's won a game at all in the 2011 season but ended up being GPS premiers the next year. This was because of their star players all being in the 1sts (Corneilsen, Starr-Thomas, Blackhurst, Gilbert, Radford ect.).

WebbEllis

Ward Prentice (10)
BGS - The major question for BGS is who will replace Greene & Aiono?

Laud has the power to replace Aiono but I've heard rumors of him repeating. On the topic of Greene, Halliday really knows the game and should be able to set up plays.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
Laud has the power to replace Aiono but I've heard rumors of him repeating. On the topic of Greene, Halliday really knows the game and should be able to set up plays.
Please don't attempt to claim that Greene can be ably replaced. He was arguably the most influential player in the competition this year.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
  1. TGS - A ridiculous amount of returning talent. Not too sure how their 16's went, but if I recall correctly the likes of Placid etc are hanging around. WILL MISS: Potgeiter? WATCH: Jonah Placid - thrilling with ball in hand.
  2. TSS - Have a team full of guys with 1st XV and rep experience. Should be an exciting team to watch, the Third-Fielia combo will be a tough one to match. WILL MISS: ? WATCH: Third, Fielia, Evans
  3. NC - Will miss Tuttle & James, but you can always count on Nudgee to hang around near the top. Strong age group, could exceed expectations. WILL MISS: Tuttle, Fitzgerald, Sikimeti. WATCH: James Tuttle
  4. BBC - If they're not hit by injuries again, BBC should be strong. Could even go a few places better. WILL MISS: Dyring? WATCH: Fakaosileia, Quick, Sala.
  5. BGS - The major question for BGS is who will replace Greene & Aiono? Plenty of returning talent in Laud, Marsden etc but will miss some key players. If they can find a replacement 10 they could go higher, only time will tell. WILL MISS: Greene, Greene, Greene, Greene, Greene, Greene, Aiono, Greene, Gilbert, Greene. WATCH: Laud, Marsden.
  6. IGS - A real unknown. Lose as much, if not more, than any other school. IGS always have a knack of hanging around, and at the moment I put them 6th because the 3 schools below don't look deserving of being higher. WILL MISS: Preen, Hayes, Pleash.
  7. BSHS - A strong 16's age group, but not many 11's contributed to a woeful 1st XV this year.
  8. GT - Just like last year, Terrace returns roughly 7 players. Major losses are obviously Dalgleish and Given, but losing French (height) and Mellor (lineout throwing, ball runner) will also be a major issue considering nobody below seems to fit their skill sets. No real options at flyhalf in the grade's below, except maybe for Alex Horan. Size in the backline will again be an issue, with small backs appearing to be the theme (Harvey, Jenkins). WILL MISS: Dalgleish, Given, Mellor, Heenan, French. WATCH: McNamee, Fowler, Wilson, Larosa.
  9. ACGS - How the mighty have fallen. 4 (?) players return, combined with a weak 16's age group equals a wooden spoon in the 101st year. WILL MISS: Ioane, Eason, Oppenheimer. WATCH: MacMillan, Schafer, Tanuvasa.
I would move GT to 5, BGS to 8, Churchie to 7 and BSHS to 9

redwhiteblue95

Stan Wickham (3)
I would move GT to 5, BGS to 8, Churchie to 7 and BSHS to 9
While grammer might not have the cattle challenge for the premiership again, a fall from grace of that magnitude is unlikely. I think they have developed the intangible 'winning culture'. Something that tss and nudgee have had for years - despite not having the greatest players or playing the best, they find ways to win. i think grammar at 4-6 is justified. meanwhile look out for tss, tgs and nudgee

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
While grammer might not have the cattle challenge for the premiership again, a fall from grace of that magnitude is unlikely. I think they have developed the intangible 'winning culture'. Something that tss and nudgee have had for years - despite not having the greatest players or playing the best, they find ways to win. i think grammar at 4-6 is justified. meanwhile look out for tss, tgs and nudgee
Yeah you're probably right. I'll take my prediction back, although I was impressed with Terrace's returning players and 16A's from all reports. I think they will finish higher than in the above prediction

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)

Bit of an issue with ACGS at 9 when their U/15s won the premiership outright

S

stevie95

Too early to call it. Nudgee, TSS, BBC and BGS all have particularly strong age groups.
ACGS and IGS not very likely to make the top 3 but both will have strong teams even though their 16s didn't have a good year but i have been watching the u15 comp closely and their are talented players that could be strong players the 1st 15 next year ACGS 15a's won the premiership and do have some very talented players that should be playing 1st next year they have probably the biggest pack in the u15 and their most strongest easily being their second rower being so hard to handle for some teams. IGS 16a's also with a very bad year but also their 15a's had a a good year tied for 2nd place i think and coming close to beating ACGS which was a great game to watch with IGS losing by 1 point after defending their line for a long period of time , they have some pretty big forwards that are very solid and can run well they also recruited 4 or 5 players mostly forwards and a back, they didn't make to much of an impact from what i saw from some of their games but except for the new loose head who takes the up hard and looks to be quiet strong and their new outside center who can bust threw the line with some strong ball carries. So don't be to quick to right these teams straight off

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Yeah you're probably right. I'll take my prediction back, although I was impressed with Terrace's returning players and 16A's from all reports. I think they will finish higher than in the above prediction

Terrace lose a lot that they don't recover, in the form of Dalgleish, Mellor, Heenan and French. Their season fell apart when Heenan went down injured this season, Harvey wasn't an adequate replacement. Losing the playmaking of Dalgleish is huge, especially without a replacement, and the forward duo of Mellor and French will be missed considering their 16A's counterparts were tiny by comparison. There's talent, just in the wrong places.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
Terrace lose a lot that they don't recover, in the form of Dalgleish, Mellor, Heenan and French. Their season fell apart when Heenan went down injured this season, Harvey wasn't an adequate replacement. Losing the playmaking of Dalgleish is huge, especially without a replacement, and the forward duo of Mellor and French will be missed considering their 16A's counterparts were tiny by comparison. There's talent, just in the wrong places.
Some Terrace posters have previously alluded to Heenan and Mellor being there next year. If they aren't then yes, you are probably right.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
Mellor is likely to repeat, not sure about Heenan though

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
Mellor is likely to repeat, not sure about Heenan though
Any word on other possible/definate repeats for next year schools? It would be good info to gauge how teams will go next year as i believe predictions are far to farfetched considering we don't even no the full team in depth! I think you will find that in term 4 there will be a few unfamiliar faces all across gps schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.