• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
Globetrotter: I reckon that some players there are pretty likely to not be in the team or moved around to other positions. Josh Evans has a lot of power and size but his lack of fitness puts him down dramatically. He may make the firsts next year but only if he gets a lot fitter. I agree that Papsworth may be moved to 2nd row but still I would prefer him at flanker. I also doubt that Paraka will make firsts. He is very courageous and has a good talent in tackling but for his size, he may not make it.. Unless as you say, he makes dramatic development like Pettowa. For scrum-half, I would definitely not put PJ there. I say that PJ may even go flanker next year for his incredible defence shown in the last couple years at TSS. I would put Josh Neal or Andrew McMahon at 9. The rest of the backs should be fine, except I would put Neal at fullback and Gibson somewhere else.

Accurate assessment that. Good point about Josh Neal. He has played some half back in the past and played it well. He is a good build for half back and strong. Gibson is an ideal centre and will play anywhere well. He as played 9 10 12 13 & 15 in the last 2 years and played it well. There could be a surprise with hooker and Lyon moving to a front row spot.

Scrummy

Bob McCowan (2)
Accuarate assessment that. Good point about Josh Neal. He has played some half back in the past and played it well. He is a good build for half back and strong. Gibson is an ideal centre and will play anywhere well. He as played 9 10 12 13 & 15 in the last 2 years and played it well. There could be a surprise with hooker and Lyon moving to a front row spot.
Exactly right about the boys. Josh is definitely the right type for a scrum-half for his size and skill. He is very committed to his training and courageous enough for his size to become the opesnside for the 16A's this year.... Tom Kliese is also a one to watch for the hooker spot. He has very accurate throws and definitely knows what to do around the field.

Reactions: mbw

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
Exactly right about the boys. Josh is definitely the right type for a scrum-half for his size and skill. He is very committed to his training and courageous enough for his size to become the opesnside for the 16A's this year.. Tom Kliese is also a one to watch for the hooker spot. He has very accurate throws and definitely knows what to do around the field.

Yes I had overlooked Tom Kliese. He did play well in his 1st year at TSS. Another forward who may figure from the 16a's is Tom Perkins. Some players who would make 1sts at most schools will likely miss out at TSS next year. It looks like being a very strong group to choose from.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Great to see a lot of talk about TSS. I rate them and are genuine contenders for the title next year.

But you do have to be consistent and there was a bit of a unexplained loss at the backend of the 16A season. So can a TSS insider explain how GT beat them convincingly ( on the scoreboard) in the 16A's in the last round. TSS had been undefeated until then and from reports GT had between 8 & 9 u16's in the Firsts. Was TSS missing some of their normal players that day?

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
Great to see a lot of talk about TSS. I rate them and are genuine contenders for the title next year.

But you do have to be consistent and there was a bit of a unexplained loss at the backend of the 16A season. So can a TSS insider explain how GT beat them convincingly ( on the scoreboard) in the 16A's in the last round. TSS had been undefeated until then and from reports GT had between 8 & 9 u16's in the Firsts. Was TSS missing some of their normal players that day?

No I am quite sure everyone played except Andrew McMahon at 9. Possibly a bit of complacency combined with GT trying to make sure they won as a victory over TSS would make them the only team to achieve that. They are still young and learning and even though they had a great season they may have learned a valuable lesson that day, to never to take the foot off the accelerator!

faceforrugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
Over recent years GT seem to manage to loose games they should have won. I do not think it is the players that should be looked at for the majority of this.

Scrummy

Bob McCowan (2)
No I am quite sure everyone played except Andrew McMahon at 9. Possibly a bit of complacency combined with GT trying to make sure they won as a victory over TSS would make them the only team to achieve that. They are still young and learning and even though they had a great season they may have learned a valuable lesson that day, to never to take the foot off the accelerator!
That is right about everyone playing except Andrew McMahon. He broke his fibula or tibia in one of his games (not sure which) and the 9 from the 16B's stepped up. There was a talk before that the boys in the 16A's were overconfident (or cocky) and they underestimated GT's performance.

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
That is right about everyone playing except Andrew McMahon. He broke his fibula or tibia in one of his games (not sure which) and the 9 from the 16B's stepped up. There was a talk before that the boys in the 16A's were overconfident (or cocky) and they underestimated GT's performance.

Spot on. It was against Grammar AM did leg.

James Lewis

Bob McCowan (2)
Apparently QLD Under 16 Red coach (Jason Gilmore) will head to Churchie and coach a First XV including Mack Mason (Downlands) and Josh Robinson (TGS) who will both repeat Year 11.

WebbEllis

Ward Prentice (10)
Apparently QLD Under 16 Red coach (Jason Gilmore) will head to Churchie and coach a First XV including Mack Mason (Downlands) and Josh Robinson (TGS) who will both repeat Year 11.
That along with Nigel will be a force to be reckoned with. Hopefully ACGS can get a good team together from these players with some good early preparation - looking forward to some good rugby next year. The under sixteen Red and White coaches aren't everything though. Carl Marshal coaches Under 16 white and is still only coaching the 16 A's at BGS - rumor is that he isn't happy with that spot; wants the first XV.

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
That along with Nigel will be a force to be reckoned with. Hopefully ACGS can get a good team together from these players with some good early preparation - looking forward to some good rugby next year. The under sixteen Red and White coaches aren't everything though. Carl Marshal coaches Under 16 white and is still only coaching the 16 A's at BGS - rumor is that he isn't happy with that spot; wants the first XV.
I'd check your facts before throwing rumors around champ. Carl Marshal coaches the open QLD schoolboys side, the BGS u15s, and a Premier grade side. The u16 QLD white coaches were Tim Sampson (easts premier) Michael Lucas (easts premier) and rob Donahue (easts colts). I'm pretty sure the appointment of schoolboy coaches is taken very seriously and is a major reason why QLD have done so well in recent years.

V

vuna goona

Carl Marshal coaches Under 16 white and is still only coaching the 16 A's at BGS - rumor is that he isn't happy with that spot; wants the first XV.
i don't think that is right. Marshall has been at grammar for a quite a while, and i think he has chosen the club system to boost his name, coaching wests colts and now Brothers Prem. Grade as an assistant. he has had countless oppurtunites to coach the 1sts and has turned them down. I think grammar has got it right though, there is no doubt he is one of the top coaches in schoolboy rugby, and having at u15s allows him to develop players that will be ready for 1sts the next year. he woulda been wasted at u16s

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)

Representatives from GPS Schools in U16 National Tournament

NC: 8
BGS: 6
TGS: 6
GT: 4
TSS: 4
BBC: 2
IGS: 1
ACGS: 0
BSHS: 0

ACGS Representatives: None

BBC Representatives: Bronson Tauaklpulu, Nathan Russell

BGS Representatives: Dalton Cox, Fergus Halliday, Dan Forsyth, Matt Marsden, Stuart McCreight, Trey Kemp

BSHS Representatives: None

IGS Representatives: Jamason Schultz

GT Representatives: Daniel Sitalenei, Robert Green, Toby McNamee, Ben Laxon

NC Representatives: Alex Mafi, Calvin Pritchard, James Tuttle, Jayden Rodwell, Maclean Jones, Paulo Leleisiuao, Tyrone Hussey, Jacob Penesi,

TGS Representatives: Josh Robinson, Liam Jurd, Darcy Maroske, Harry Wathen, James McColl, Mitch O'Hara

TSS Representatives: Fred Dorrough, Isaac Nathan, Joel Brown, PJ. Vandenberg

James Lewis

Bob McCowan (2)
I am not surprised that no Churchie players were in these teams from the matches (both First XV and Under 16 A) that I saw this season.

It probably explains why they are a recruiting / buying spree at the moment. However, we all know how that worked out for them in 2012.

It will be interesting to see if Jason Gilmore will be better at moulding these new players together. He seemed to mould the numerous TGS scholarship players into a reasonable side this season (although they struggled off the range).

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
I am not surprised that no Churchie players were in these teams from the matches (both First XV and Under 16 A) that I saw this season.

It probably explains why they are a recruiting / buying spree at the moment. However, we all know how that worked out for them in 2012.

It will be interesting to see if Jason Gilmore will be better at moulding these new players together. He seemed to mould the numerous TGS scholarship players into a reasonable side this season (although they struggled off the range).

Jaydon Schafer could have been worthy of those teams but i think he's too old. The Churchie 15A were premiers and never underestimate the strength of some players playing a year up, but yes they will be forced into some heavy recruiting after loosing ALL their big names this year (except McMillan)

R

rob roy

Globetrotter: I reckon that some players there are pretty likely to not be in the team or moved around to other positions. Josh Evans has a lot of power and size but his lack of fitness puts him down dramatically. He may make the firsts next year but only if he gets a lot fitter. I agree that Papsworth may be moved to 2nd row but still I would prefer him at flanker. I also doubt that Paraka will make firsts. He is very courageous and has a good talent in tackling but for his size, he may not make it.. Unless as you say, he makes dramatic development like Pettowa. For scrum-half, I would definitely not put PJ there. I say that PJ may even go flanker next year for his incredible defence shown in the last couple years at TSS. I would put Josh Neal or Andrew McMahon at 9. The rest of the backs should be fine, except I would put Neal at fullback and Gibson somewhere else.
It will interesting to see if Benji Neal makes it back to rugby - rumour has it he is being scouted for professional afl.

M

motherof3

Rumours are that Mac Mason from Downlands (Under 16 Red, 10) has had his scholarship withdrawn and is at ACGS in 2013.
No this is wrong. He has been on scholarship at Downlands since year 8 and recently been offered continuation of this for 2013 along with scholarship offers from two Brisbane GPS schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.