• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monster

Peter Burge (5)
Any predictions on the BBC first XV next year?
Could look something like this:
1 Kahn Helms - 2nd XV 2013
2 Bronson Tauakipulu - current 1st XV capt (if he repeats)/??
3 Luke Petersen - current 1st XV
4 Darcy Swain -current 1st XV
5 Dylan Leyland -current 1st XV
6 Kareem Tuuga - current 1st XV
7 Christian Malalau - current 1st XV
8 Ben Gunther - current 1st XV
9 Max Dempsey - current 1st XV
10 Johnny Seabrook - current 16As
11 Sam Edwards - current 1st XV
12 Josh Betar - current 16As
13 Jerumi Nanai - current 1st XV
14 Kris Verevis - current 15As
15 Tiaan Wilkins - current 1st XV (injured)

Cant find a place for Lucas Palmer or John Swain who are in grade 11 and playing 16As, 2nd XV respectively nor Tom Jellie (current 2nd XV fullback). Son of "Brick with Eyes" will also struggle to be in the top side. Not to mention room for members of the current 15As, but as we all know injuries do happen and you need depth.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Any predictions on the churchie 2014 1st XV team?

Back line would be something like this:

9. Harry Nucifora
10. Ben Ogilve
11. Thomas Walvin
12. Max Quigly
13. Izaia Perese
14. Hugo Doessel
15. Kalyn Ponga

Angus Scott-Young to captain the a very strong side at second row.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I'm going to call it now, next year's finishing ladder.

1. ACGS
2. BBC
3. NC
4. GT
5. TSS
6. IGS
7. BGS
8. BSHS
9. TGS

50 cent

Frank Row (1)

1. ACGS
2. BBC
3. NC
4. GT
5. TSS
6. IGS
7. BGS
8. BSHS
9. TGS

I think it would be very naive to count state high out. As I understand it they had something as high as 8 grade elevens starting for firsts this year. They also have had injuries in this age group (boys born 1997). Not saying they will be winning the comp but theyll be up there!

REDSRUGGERS`

Bob McCowan (2)

1. ACGS
2. BBC
3. NC
4. GT
5. TSS
6. IGS
7. BGS
8. BSHS
9. TGS

that is looking pretty strange, i would put BBC up there over ACGS due to the upcoming talent that the u15a's have (not sure if most will make first ) but their season they went undeafeated unless they loose this game this weekend which is highly unlikely , most of the U15 age group will be looking at first jersey just not sure if TSS or IGS can provide a strong First XV

therugbylyfe

Frank Row (1)
The battle for the back three in the 1st XV for State High next year looks to be fierce. Any thoughts or predictions?
- TheRugbyLyfe

Nudgee Jackson Tame

Bob McCowan (2)

1. ACGS
2. BBC
3. NC
4. GT
5. TSS
6. IGS
7. BGS
8. BSHS
9. TGS

Interesting, my prediction on the top 4 would go something like;

1. NC (really strong side, quite outstanding)
2.BSHS (i think next year we are in for a surprise with the young players coming through, also i hear they have q new coach in line)
3. BBC ( the under 15's will have a big effect on the comp but the current 1 XV players are very good and should help the young ones that will join the team)
4. TSS ( a strong and quite big side with exceptional talent)

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
that is looking pretty strange, i would put BBC up there over ACGS due to the upcoming talent that the u15a's have (not sure if most will make first ) but their season they went undeafeated unless they loose this game this weekend which is highly unlikely , most of the U15 age group will be looking at first jersey just not sure if TSS or IGS can provide a strong First XV
BBC 1st XV positions are going to be hotly contested in 2014.
The current u15's will have to step over BBC's current strong u16 team AND the bulk of the strong 2013 1st XV are returning.
Most of BBC's 1st choice run on 1st XV 2013 forward pack are returning in 2014, some of them will be in their third year (2012, 2013 and 2014)!!!
It looks Steve Philpotts and Tom Barker's dream of having a BBC 1st XV squad n which every player will have to train and perform at 110% to make the run on side could be within their grasp in 2014.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)

You would've said the exact same thing if last year I'd predicted BGS on top. This is just my opinion and I'm backing it because it's what I think is accurate. ACGS v BBC next year's grand final.

pom

Frank Row (1)
Back line would be something like this:

9. Harry Nucifora
10. Ben Ogilve
11. Thomas Walvin
12. Max Quigly
13. Izaia Perese
14. Hugo Doessel
15. Kalyn Ponga

Angus Scott-Young to captain the a very strong side at second row.[/quote)

Ben Ogilve has had a good year at 15 but Mack Mason will return as the 10 and Captain after an injury he'd carried through the first 4 rounds ended his 2013 season

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Ben Ogilve has had a good year at 15 but Mack Mason will return as the 10 and Captain after an injury he'd carried through the first 4 rounds ended his 2013 season

Oh right, I didn't realise Mack Mason was returning. If that is the case, he will definately snag 10, maybe Ogilve will play wing instead of Walvin.

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)

I wouldn't write off IGS either. They have 9 of their 1st XV starting line up playing next year. Also, Johann K, Lauchie V and Matt A will also be available next year after having most of 2013 off due to injury. There is also some excellent talent coming through from the U/16s and U/15s, which will provide some very valuable depth.

guildford

Peter Burge (5)
"do you really think that if GT decided to import a fullback that they wouldn't start him"
and yes this could very much be the case as terrace have made some pretty poor decisons in terms of imports with many imports not even making the A team for their age group let alone firsts

Totally agree, Terrace have not embraced and openly accepted that they have joined the arms race. If they were serious they would be looking for a high quality, consistent #10 who could lead the team. For obvious reasons that will not happen. The incumbent clearly worked hard and improved but was inconsistent and could not regularly ignite the backline.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Totally agree, Terrace have not embraced and openly accepted that they have joined the arms race. If they were serious they would be looking for a high quality, consistent #10 who could lead the team. For obvious reasons that will not happen. The incumbent clearly worked hard and improved but was inconsistent and could not regularly ignite the backline.

Well Horan was picked in Queensland Red so basically what you're saying is that Queensland in general needs a high quality and consistent #10. I think he's done a fine job in a team that has performed above expectations.

BigSteve

Herbert Moran (7)

#10? i think terrace should probably look to beef up the forward stocks if anything. But what you say is right, terrace has been recruiting to the best of their ability with the strict academic requirements of the school. i heard that rugby scholarships are only given after they pass an entrance exam, don't know how true this is but it would explain why some of the boys on scholarship aren't up to the level of the other talent that schools are getting without these academic conditions.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)

1. ACGS
2. BBC
3. NC

Wooah.

Interesting top three, especially the top!

Churchie do not enjoy the favourites tag too much and probably don't deserved it either at this point. Their side is formidable on paper but that doesn't always bode well for this school and although I'm hopeful, you can never really know. If Nucifora and Mason have good seasons we know Perese and Ponga will always threaten.

Nudgee are still the powerhouse school in this competition. The rugby program is immense and the talent pool is deep, but replacing Mafi, Rodwell, Hussey and Jones will be a tough task. Prediction: 2nd

As for BBC, for once they are showing serious depth, the 16A side looks the goods but you have to wonder what they'll be like without the midfield combination of Bowyer and Russell. Forwards and outside backs make me inclined to still say top 3, but where depends entirely on how that midfield goes.

TSS are another I believe you're missing from the top 3.

IGS, BSHS and GT would also like to think they are in with a chance. My prediction: IGS 7, BSHS 5 and GT 6

BGS and TGS to fight it out for the spoon.

rugby fail

Bob McCowan (2)
#10? i think terrace should probably look to beef up the forward stocks if anything. But what you say is right, terrace has been recruiting to the best of their ability with the strict academic requirements of the school. i heard that rugby scholarships are only given after they pass an entrance exam, don't know how true this is but it would explain why some of the boys on scholarship aren't up to the level of the other talent that schools are getting without these academic conditions.

I agree with you there on size, with maroney's speed and leofa's agression and size they are still lacking some size up the front. Stanley will probably be up there but although he has size, he does lack agression and doesn't have a big work load either. Cocks should go to lock but even he is lacking in the size department. Where will leofa play?

GPS selector

Bob McCowan (2)
Henry Ruddy wing for Rep Red team, Brothers Under 15 div 1 winger and 15a's center and wing has a better chance

Really doubt henry ruddy will make it, there are many players better than him. To be honest i think its fair to almost rule out any of the 15's backline apart from reuben. Just because he played in a div 1 club team and part of a very 'political' rep side does not mean he will make 1st, expecially when there are much better 16's players as well as nick weller

it really is anyone's spot, George Cox is a great example of this who went from 15 B's straight to the first fifteen.

G

Gt rugby

Really doubt henry ruddy will make it, there are many players better than him. To be honest i think its fair to almost rule out any of the 15's backline apart from reuben. Just because he played in a div 1 club team and part of a very 'political' rep side does not mean he will make 1st, expecially when there are much better 16's players as well as nick weller

it really is anyone's spot, George Cox is a great example of this who went from 15 B's straight to the first fifteen.

Didnt say he'd make it, just said he has a better chance than day

Status
Not open for further replies.