• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Colts 2 won by GPS
Colts 1 Uni
4th grade Wests
3rd grade Sunnybank
2nd grade Uni
1st grade GPS
Prems Sunnybank

Congratulations to all on a long and tough season. Special congrats to Jake Schatz for his premiership and Super 15 titles in what was a very sad year for him and his family.

DownsSupporter

Frank Nicholson (4)
Full results from the wekend grand final games from the Redsv web site:

Strategic Airlines Queensland Premier Rugby
Sunnybank 35 (Penalty try 2, Rex Tapuai 2 tries; Ben Lucas 3 cons, 3 pens) def Brothers 24 (Dom Shipperley, Anthony Sauer, Damon Murphy, Nathanuel Gendle tries; Dallan Murphy 2 cons)

Brisbane Rugby Grand Final Results
PREMIER COLTS
University of Queensland 38 (N Malouf S Caslick 2 tries C Foley T Pincus tries T Pincus 4 cons) d Rugby Gold Coast 15 (H Julius B Wilson tries H Julius con pen)

BARTERCARD BRISBANE 1ST GRADE
GPS 36 (B Wood 2 tries P Selwood C King M Donaldson C Franks tries S Satui 3 cons) d Sunnybank 12 (S Tela J Hofmeyr tries J Hofmeyr con)

BRISBANE 2ND GRADE
University of Queensland 15 (M Mosey F HESS tries T Mosey con pen) d Sunnybank 12 (V Eriksen 2 tries H McNeil con)

BRISBANE 3RD GRADE
Sunnybank 23 (T Appleton M Jardine tries T Christie 2 cons pen M Wenck 2 pens) d GPS 21 (D Beattie R Jones A Porteous tries J Dever 2 pens)

BRISBANE 4TH GRADE
Wests 20 (G Paterson T Murphy tries T Clough 2 cons 2 pens) d University of Queensland 13 (C Keen C Purcell tries A Smith drop goal)

BRISBANE COLTS 1
University of Queensland 24 (M Thompson 2 tries H Parker try M Thompson 3 cons pen) d GPS 17 (M Shallcross S Coughlan tries J Downes 2 cons J Logan pen)

BRISBANE COLTS 2
Pool A
University of Queensland 29 (E Aumua W McInnes J Honey H Tait J Edwards tries T Philpot con M Liekefett con) d Redcliffe 22 (C Carlson I Tilialo T Lloyd A Martin tries M Seymour con)
Pool B
GPS 11 (J Heather try J Logan 2 pens) d Souths 3 (L Jenkins pen)

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Uni got up in 4 of 5 GFs. I understand that a season is judged on the performance of its Premier side, but after the floods took Uni's fields for 3 months (we trained in the caprark, on surrounding roads, occasionally Wests 2, sometimes Kenmore, and sometimes Ballymore) and the tragedy at GPS, I'm so incredibly proud of the Uni performances. It's been an honor to be a part of this year.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Congratulations to the 2011 Premiers Sunnybank! They came home with a very wet sail and were the form team of the comp for the back end. The Grand Final was their 7th win on the trot. A very good team on paper who were able to produce on the field as well.

Got to Ballymore with the score 10-0 to Sunnybank and for the rest of the first half and the early part of the second they threatened the same sort of blowout scoreline they'd inflicted the previous two weeks. Their forwards were quite dominant and were awarded two penalty tries when attempting pushover tries. at 24-5 early in the second it looked all but over. To their credit, the Bretheren hung tough and slowly began making inroads. Some astute kicking from Dallan Murphy gave them good field position, and they made the most of it with some good tries. The scoreline got to 29-24 at one stage and set up an exciting finish. In the end a couple of late penalties from Ben Lucas sealed the victory for the Bank. Valiant effort from Brothers but ultimately the best team won.

Wallace- Harrison got the MOTM but I thought Rex Tapuai could easily have picked it up. He had a great game for the winners, and their forwards all played well and their early dominance set up the win, that's for sure. Dallan Murphy looked classy for Brothers, thought their 12 (Gendle) had a solid game and the forwards were game against a big name pack.

And that's club for another 6 months...damn!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...ack-to-win-35-24/story-e6frepm6-1226146007098

SUNNYBANK survived a scorching comeback from a fast-finishing Brothers to claim the Queensland Premier Rugby grand final with a 35-24 victory at Ballymore yesterday.

The Dragons looked home and hosed for their first Hospital Cup triumph since 2007 when they led 29-5 with 30 minutes left on the clock in the decider.

Sunnybank had dominated proceedings with two tries to outside centre Rex Tapuai and two penalty tries courtesy of the rampaging Dragons pack, who twice forced the Brothers scrum to crumble on their own tryline.

However, the Brethren refused to say die and closed to within five points after tries to Anthony Sauer, Damon Murphy and Nathanuel Gendle set-up a thrilling finish. All the momentum was with the Brethren who looked set for a famous victory, even though the Dragons had eight Super Rugby players in their ranks and went into the match as favourites.

But Sunnybank showed great composure to steady the ship through two penalties to halfback and Reds utility Ben Lucas, which sealed the deal for the "Green Machine".

Lucas's goalkicking proved to be the difference on the day with both sides scoring four tries apiece. Reds and Dragons lock Adam Wallace-Harrison claimed the Tony Shaw Medal for player-of-the-match for his barnstorming performance.

Sunnybank coach Rob Nowlan paid tribute to his forward pack - especially props Greg Holmes and Albert Anae - which set the tone in a sometimes spiteful opening half.

"We've got the two best front-rowers in Australia playing for Sunnybank, not in New Zealand. We always thought we could take them on up front," Nowlan said. "I probably can't say in public how I was feeling (when Brothers came back) but our boys got themselves together.

"Full credit to Brothers. They came at us hard and attacked our weaknesses but we held on."

The Dragons led 17-5 at halftime after dictating terms in the opening 40 minutes but a long-range try to Brothers winger Dom Shipperley in the shadows of halftime kept the Brethren in the contest and set the stage for a see-sawing second stanza.

Premier Grade: Sunnybank 35 (R Tapuai 2 tries, 2 pen tries; B Lucas 3 con, 3 pen) d Brothers 24 (D Shipperley, A Sauer, D Murphy, N Gendle tries; D Murphy 2 con).

First grade: GPS 36 d Sunnybank 12.

Second grade: University 15 d Sunnybank 12. Premier Colts: University 38 d Gold Coast 15.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I'm confident Austin has the inside word at Wests. Returning for lifestyle reasons perhaps?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see if he can turn things around at the Kennel. He managed to win a premiership last time he was there with no Colts program and little to no depth in the rest of the club. They dropped off badly after he left too.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Good to see Mooney back at Wests, I hope he can turn them around. I'm still one who fees that he hasn't bee given enough credit for laying the foundation for the current Reds success.

On another note, what happened to all the Club guys who got a trial chance with the Super sides post S15 season? I'm talking about the likes of AhWong, Fuller etc...

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
The academy positions are all that is left and there has been no roll out of information from the ARU yet. Apparently players had to be nominated by a franchise but I am not aware of any contract offers yet. Same goes for 7s.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Good to see Mooney back at Wests, I hope he can turn them around. I'm still one who fees that he hasn't bee given enough credit for laying the foundation for the current Reds success.

On another note, what happened to all the Club guys who got a trial chance with the Super sides post S15 season? I'm talking about the likes of AhWong, Fuller etc...

And I am one who feels the opposite. He had a young team with great talent and couldn't do anything with them. I will watch how he goes at Wests but I think that he will have a struggle on his hands. I hope that he proves me wrong but we will wait and see.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Finals videos

Strategic Airlines Queensland Premier Rugby Major Semi Final - University v Brothers

[video=youtube;vS5Q9sNRQgg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS5Q9sNRQgg&feature=related[/video]

Strategic Airlines Queensland Premier Rugby Minor Semi Final - Sunnybank v GPS

[video=youtube;TqyfBNLk-sQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqyfBNLk-sQ&feature=related[/video]

Strategic Airlines Queensland Premier Rugby Preliminary Final - University v Sunnybank

[video=youtube;Qm4fpnPsG5k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm4fpnPsG5k&feature=related[/video]

Strategic Airlines Queensland Premier Rugby Grand Final - Brothers v Sunnybank

[video=youtube;QE347eewXUk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE347eewXUk&feature=related[/video]

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Good to hear that Lion. I thought he was a standout when I watched the Dogs take on Sunnybank during the year.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
And I am one who feels the opposite. He had a young team with great talent and couldn't do anything with them. I will watch how he goes at Wests but I think that he will have a struggle on his hands. I hope that he proves me wrong but we will wait and see.
Fair enough Jets. I guess my opinion is based on the fact that he inherited a basketcase that had been presided over by a series of coaches, and he had to do a lot of the rebuilding. A lot of that young talent was very raw at the time and Mooney showed a lot of faith to run with it. There may have been one or two recruitment flops in his time but the Fainga'a's and Rod Davies are an example of guys who have kicked on, and I think we saw the emergence of Cooper and Genia during his time. They didn't win a lot of games but that exciting expansive game that has become their signature started on Mooney's watch IMO.

Merely my opinion, not looking to have a blue over it.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I admired his vision to change the style the Reds played. Mooney making James Horwill captain over time has been proven to be a masterstroke. Recruiting Daniel Braid was another good decision.

He has been around and about since and his coaching outlook may of evolved. My money is on him doing a good job with Wests and all the luck to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.