• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

@titansrugbynews

Frank Row (1)
In relation to dallan, not sure when he's coming to the UK but our season starts in September and preseason training starts in June. So it sounds like he could miss the end of your season?

WESTCOMBE RANGER

Allen Oxlade (6)
Titan, my season also starts in September. have had an interest on this site for 3/4 years so am familiar with players in Brisbane and England. Touch base on Rolling maul ?
Ranger

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Has anyone been out to see the breakers lately. Unfortunately I haven't been able to take in their matches. Was wondering whether they can be competitive this year. Saw they were flogged by Sunnybank a couple of weeks ago (shades of GF 2007...ugh)

D

Don't be chirpin

G'day folks have been a spectator of this forum for a while but thought I'd finally get involved as the seasons looking like a cracker this year.

First in terms of games this weekend I reckon Norths v Uni should be a cracker. Mate dont know about you lads but i'm putting my money on norths to get a win over Uni this weekend. Uni are looking pretty rubbish this year. Went and watched them play Easts a few weeks ago and even L. Morahan was a passenger. Although that may have been T. White was simply too good for him. I'm going to have to agree with his other green & gold fans and say he's the best 13 of in the comp by a country mile.

I think Easts are looking to goods this year with White and Toua in their backline. Lets just hope Sunnybank doesn't pull out their wallet and cost a team like Easts a well deserved premiership. But thats just my two cents. Looks like we're in for a good season lads.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
What's the chance we some of the Reds cattle back in clubland this Saturday on account of the Reds playing Froday night?

I do know that they fly out for Africa soon after as we got a game in the republic next weekend.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
G'day folks have been a spectator of this forum for a while but thought I'd finally get involved as the seasons looking like a cracker this year.

First in terms of games this weekend I reckon Norths v Uni should be a cracker. Mate dont know about you lads but i'm putting my money on norths to get a win over Uni this weekend. Uni are looking pretty rubbish this year. Went and watched them play Easts a few weeks ago and even L. Morahan was a passenger. Although that may have been T. White was simply too good for him. I'm going to have to agree with his other green & gold fans and say he's the best 13 of in the comp by a country mile.

I think Easts are looking to goods this year with White and Toua in their backline. Lets just hope Sunnybank doesn't pull out their wallet and cost a team like Easts a well deserved premiership. But thats just my two cents. Looks like we're in for a good season lads.
Do we need to have this argument again? Explain to me what Sunnybank do that Easts don't that would back up your claim? Apart from being successful.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I also believe UNI are suspect to lose to Norths this weekend.

However you'd have to dig very deep into the record books to find the last time they lost 3 on the trot. Will be some very hardworking heavies down at St Lucia this week to correct some faults in the students game.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Do we need to have this argument again? Explain to me what Sunnybank do that Easts don't that would back up your claim? Apart from being successful.

Don't you guys get extra grants or payments from the Sunnybank RSL to build gyms & clubhouse renovations?

I also remember reading in the CM of a 3rd party payment from Sunnybank RSL to keep Digby at the reds on the previous contract he signed?

I don't want to have THAT ARGUMENT but I've always thought (with a lot of others in the rugby community) of how Sunnybank & Uni have had a competitive advantage with their pokie revenue & scholarship/boosters source respectively.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Don't you guys get extra grants or payments from the Sunnybank RSL to build gyms & clubhouse renovations?

I also remember reading in the CM of a 3rd party payment from Sunnybank RSL to keep Digby at the reds on the previous contract he signed?

I don't want to have THAT ARGUMENT but I've always thought (with a lot of others in the rugby community) of how Sunnybank & Uni have had a competitive advantage with their pokie revenue & scholarship/boosters source respectively.

I think the grants from licensed venues and sponsorships for facilities, equipment, coaching and medical are positives for club rugby. it would be great if all money went to that for the entire club or atleast the entire prem squad instead of Super Rugby players pockets but clubs need to decide on an individual basis how best to use scarcely available funds. If having Digby a registered player for Sunnybank increases: player registration, club interest & spectators it is probably a financially worth while investment. I think too much emphasis is put on how Super Rugby players end up at what clubs.Their impact for the club is probably over stated on the field Don't Be Chirpin pointed out, Morahan has been "a passenger".

D

Don't be chirpin

Yeah i think it's just unfortunate that theres some very good premier rugby players out there who are still getting heckled for club fees at the start of every season because they dont have 100 pokies in their club house to pay for things. I just think the QRU needs to give the issue a little more attention. But in saying that I agree with East Coast Aces that fringe reds players don't make any difference in Premier Rugby. I can think of a lot of players who if given the chance at the top level would perform just as well if not better as some of these fringe players (as I've already mentioned I watched T. White completely outplay Morahan 2 weeks ago and heard he's been doing it all season). I have no problems with guys like morahan, frisby, beau robbo playing finals. My concern more or less the cash that goes in the pockets of the quality reds players so that they can play 2 games at the end of the season. But only time will tell if another premiership gets bought this year.

Putting aside the poltics, what's everyones thoughts this weekend? Im going:

Brothers and Easts to dust the coast teams
Souths to get one op over GPS (GPS looking very lack-luster against Northies last week)
Norths to upset Uni
and sunnybank to bounce back get the win over wests

Should be a good one boys

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

Just to clear things up it's not Sunnybank RSL it's the Sunnybank Community and Sports Club which is the trading name for Sunnybank Rugby Club. I don't think that the club should apologise because they had some members of their board made some risky decisions in the past about where the club was going to head in an attempt to secure their future. The gamble paid off and as a result the club has really great assets. I could write pages about where all the money goes form the licensed club, into the community, but I'll let you do a bit of research before you start flinging mud. All the information is publicly available if you know where to look.

Also all payers at Sunnybank have to pay their fees. If that wasn't the case more players would be lining up for a free ride at Sunnybank.

I have no doubt that the club could go out and buy all of the top players and potentially win each week by 100 points but what's the point. The value of the club is determined by the value of the competition that they play in. It's in every clubs interest to have a strong comp in Brisbane. I for one really want Norths and Wests to make the fianls as it grows interest in their communities and reconnects old players with the clubs and game again.

Don't be chirpin what do you want the QRU to do? Tell Uni and Sunnybank not to be successful off the field? I have more of an issue with clubs that take handouts from the QRU or interest free loans. If they are offered to one they should be offered to all. More accountability at board or committee level would be good too. Lots of clubs have industry leaders involved at committee level and they can't manage a budget and money flows out of these clubs and a crazy rate.

The QRU have introduced quite a few good ideas with their aggregation program that assists clubs in becoming financially viable.

We should want more clubs to be successful off the field not less. The Breakers are in the process of establishing a Community Club at Burleigh Heads. I am hopeful it's a success for the long term financial viability of Gold Coast rugby. Townsville, while not in Premier rugby, run a really good business model too. The Stingrays are also turning around their financial situation.

Nothing like a good rant to start the day.

SeaEagles

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just to clear things up it's not Sunnybank RSL it's the Sunnybank Community and Sports Club which is the trading name for Sunnybank Rugby Club. I don't think that the club should apologise because they had some members of their board made some risky decisions in the past about where the club was going to head in an attempt to secure their future. The gamble paid off and as a result the club has really great assets. I could write pages about where all the money goes form the licensed club, into the community, but I'll let you do a bit of research before you start flinging mud. All the information is publicly available if you know where to look.

Also all payers at Sunnybank have to pay their fees. If that wasn't the case more players would be lining up for a free ride at Sunnybank.

I have no doubt that the club could go out and buy all of the top players and potentially win each week by 100 points but what's the point. The value of the club is determined by the value of the competition that they play in. It's in every clubs interest to have a strong comp in Brisbane. I for one really want Norths and Wests to make the fianls as it grows interest in their communities and reconnects old players with the clubs and game again.

Don't be chirpin what do you want the QRU to do? Tell Uni and Sunnybank not to be successful off the field? I have more of an issue with clubs that take handouts from the QRU or interest free loans. If they are offered to one they should be offered to all. More accountability at board or committee level would be good too. Lots of clubs have industry leaders involved at committee level and they can't manage a budget and money flows out of these clubs and a crazy rate.

The QRU have introduced quite a few good ideas with their aggregation program that assists clubs in becoming financially viable.

We should want more clubs to be successful off the field not less. The Breakers are in the process of establishing a Community Club at Burleigh Heads. I am hopeful it's a success for the long term financial viability of Gold Coast rugby. Townsville, while not in Premier rugby, run a really good business model too. The Stingrays are also turning around their financial situation.

Nothing like a good rant to start the day.

I agree. Our attitude needs to change. We shouldn't be whinging about Sunnybank or Uni being financially successful. Instead we should be working hard to ensure clubs like Wests, Norths and Souths can become just as financially viable.
The future of our game relies on the QRU, but our local clubs are just as important. The stronger, more financially viable they are - then the better our game will be in the future.
Let's ask the people who helped Sunnybank and Uni get where they are to consult to the other clubs to get them there too. Think about Wests and Souths and the position those clubs are in geographically. Why can't they become profitable entertainment and community venues?
How good it would be to go to Chipsy Wood, Crosby or Sylvan Road and have 2 or 3 thousand people watch a club game because our clubs are so strong and the venue is a popular location for entertainment?
That way we can reward quality non-professional players appropriately and feed the benefits down to our kids with better coaching and facilities.

D

Don't be chirpin

You are dreaming if you think any half decent player at Sunnybank pays their fees. Obviously a lot of people will tell you they do but I guarantee if you ask a player after 15 beers on a Saturday night you'll get a different story. When they're doing things like last year filling Adam Wallace-Harrisons pockets to be the forwards coach when he doesnt even turn up to the games on the weekends it just doesn't send a good message about what goes on behind closed doors at that club. I know you'd try to justify it if you were a Sunnybank supporter but i'm just saying it doesn't look good from the other sidde of the park.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You are dreaming if you think any half decent player at Sunnybank pays their fees. Obviously a lot of people will tell you they do but I guarantee if you ask a player after 15 beers on a Saturday night you'll get a different story. When they're doing things like last year filling Adam Wallace-Harrisons pockets to be the forwards coach when he doesnt even turn up to the games on the weekends it just doesn't send a good message about what goes on behind closed doors at that club. I know you'd try to justify it if you were a Sunnybank supporter but i'm just saying it doesn't look good from the other sidde of the park.
Where are you getting your info? If it's from players after 15 beers on a Saturday night I think they may be exaggerating a little bit.

I think you'll find Adam was at almost all the games last year except when he was away with the Reds. While him not being available every week was an issue it was out weighed by the fact he was held in high regard by the players and brought a lot to the table. So I don't think you can say he "doesnt even turn up to the games on the weekend."

Part of the issue with the rugby community is people get jealous and spread rumours and then the Chinese whispers start. I think clubs should sort out their own back yard and not worry too much about what other clubs are doing.

D

Don't be chirpin

In relation to what the QRU should do to fix this issue? Simple - change the rules so that contracted played have to play 6 regular season games to be eligible for finals. I know its been said before but it doesn't seem like rocket science. That way the financially succesful clubs will have less incentive to offer reds players money to join their club. There will hopefully come a day when all brisbane clubs have the sort of financial backing that Sunnybank and Uni do but until that time comes it doesnt seem fair that the rules leave it open for these clubs to monopolise the competition.

But we'll give the politics a rest for the moment. Can't see the Bank making the finals this year anyway so it's not really a problem this year.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Went to Norths v GPS game today. A couple of observations - gps r a very young side with a heap of potential, however were very lucky to get away with a lucky win. There kicking at the back was atrocious to say the least. They lacked some ability to change their game plan when no 13 from Norths continually stalled their attack with strong defence. After watching Souths demolish Norths last week GPS obviously went in less than prepared however even having consideration to this they were average at best. No. 9 for Norths was excellent, a level above GPS 9 and 13 for Norths was probabably player of the match with his defence. Overall gps will b very thankful at the end of the year they escaped with 4 points.

The game against Norths shows just how important guys like Jono Ellis, JP Smith and P Kite are up front as well as Kerevi, Frisby, and Malolua out back to the GPS squad. GPS had a number of opportunities in the Norths red zone, where repeated attempts in close were constantly repelled by a brave Norths outfit. The GPS pick and go was not as effective without the presence of a Smith or Kite in the engine room or with Ellis working the fringes.

Kerevi and Frisby's absence from the GPS backline pretty much allowed Norths to totally shut down Kuridrani's influence on the game from the back. Was not real impressed with the work of the back three on the weekend as well, particularly the two wingers who struggled against the two Norths wingers. The red headed 14 from Norths looks a real goer and a player to watch, while Vuki created all sorts of headaches for his opposing winger. Im very surprised Matthew Garland was not given a start on one of the flanks especially when it was quite obvious Jeeps were struggling from the back from the get go. Malolua's absence means that when the forward pack is going backwards and a backline is well contained, his superior running game to Grasso especially in terms of metres made after contact from the base is severely missed.

I probably disagree with your comments that Jeeps went in under prepared. Obviously Jeeps were missing a few key players, but you have to give Norths their dues, they were not the same side that flopped and turned over against Souths the week before. They played some really smart footy taking advantage of areas Jeeps had lost some firepower. Jeeps were vey lucky to get the win no doubt, but it is a good sign to still manage a win when the side is under performing. Another positive was even though he was a bit scratchy in his first proper run at 10 was Jake Milne getting a good hit out under his belt. I'm going to put it out there that if he can run into some form and put a few games together he has the potential and skill set to be as influential as Murphy to the Jeeps cause. If it all goes to plan, the Jeeps backline will fire in the next coming weeks off his work at 10 because it will free up Frisby, Kerevi, Kuridrani and the very under rated Winkley once he is back from injury. Once he fine tunes that massive boot of his, Jeeps will be able to be a bit more diplomatic when they decide to run the ball from the backs and pick their moments a little better.

yoke

Bob McCowan (2)
Where are you getting your info? If it's from players after 15 beers on a Saturday night I think they may be exaggerating a little bit.

I think you'll find Adam was at almost all the games last year except when he was away with the Reds. While him not being available every week was an issue it was out weighed by the fact he was held in high regard by the players and brought a lot to the table. So I don't think you can say he "doesnt even turn up to the games on the weekend."

Part of the issue with the rugby community is people get jealous and spread rumours and then the Chinese whispers start. I think clubs should sort out their own back yard and not worry too much about what other clubs are doing.

And so you you worry about your own back yard:
Jets post from last year:

"Any change in the Tigers coaching ranks next year boys? You would think that if they missed out on the finals again heads would have to roll. After their good win in 2008 I'm surprised they haven't made the GF again."
Jets, Oct 19, 2012 #1501

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
For the record JETS I was not slinging mud towards Sunnybank. I did put question marks next to 2 general statements I have heard in clubland about Sunnybank cause I was seeking clarification about Pokies revenue & 3rd party payments to Digby.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
The game against Norths shows just how important guys like Jono Ellis, JP Smith and P Kite are up front as well as Kerevi, Frisby, and Malolua out back to the GPS squad. GPS had a number of opportunities in the Norths red zone, where repeated attempts in close were constantly repelled by a brave Norths outfit. The GPS pick and go was not as effective without the presence of a Smith or Kite in the engine room or with Ellis working the fringes.

Kerevi and Frisby's absence from the GPS backline pretty much allowed Norths to totally shut down Kuridrani's influence on the game from the back. Was not real impressed with the work of the back three on the weekend as well, particularly the two wingers who struggled against the two Norths wingers. The red headed 14 from Norths looks a real goer and a player to watch, while Vuki created all sorts of headaches for his opposing winger. Im very surprised Matthew Garland was not given a start on one of the flanks especially when it was quite obvious Jeeps were struggling from the back from the get go. Malolua's absence means that when the forward pack is going backwards and a backline is well contained, his superior running game to Grasso especially in terms of metres made after contact from the base is severely missed.

I probably disagree with your comments that Jeeps went in under prepared. Obviously Jeeps were missing a few key players, but you have to give Norths their dues, they were not the same side that flopped and turned over against Souths the week before. They played some really smart footy taking advantage of areas Jeeps had lost some firepower. Jeeps were vey lucky to get the win no doubt, but it is a good sign to still manage a win when the side is under performing. Another positive was even though he was a bit scratchy in his first proper run at 10 was Jake Milne getting a good hit out under his belt. I'm going to put it out there that if he can run into some form and put a few games together he has the potential and skill set to be as influential as Murphy to the Jeeps cause. If it all goes to plan, the Jeeps backline will fire in the next coming weeks off his work at 10 because it will free up Frisby, Kerevi, Kuridrani and the very under rated Winkley once he is back from injury. Once he fine tunes that massive boot of his, Jeeps will be able to be a bit more diplomatic when they decide to run the ball from the backs and pick their moments a little better.

Completely agree with your match report, although found it very surprising to hear that jake Milne was the musashi player of the round, when to be honest, didn't have the best game. Thought the player of the match should've gone to either of the Toolis twins or Lasarusa Tabu the #13 for norths

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I saw AWH last year at dogs v dragons coaching. So I font know how much validity to Reds players not bothering to show up on gameday.

Status
Not open for further replies.