• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Congrats to Easts on the win, obviously a tough one for me to watch but was a great game and couldn't be prouder of both sides.

GPS had a chance this year to pull off some big wins but unfortunately wasnt to be but congrats to our 3rd and 4th grades for winning their grand finals.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Sounds like it was a tremendous game. Neither GPS nor Easts have an abundance of superstars, but obviously having a consistent roster all season worked for both. Plenty of good young guns in both teams so would expect them both to feature strongly again next year.

Hearing plenty about this young Michael Gunn, hopefully he is in the system somewhere. Fantastic result for everyone at Bottomley, and must be particularly satisfying for the likes of Bertini, Brandon, Mullins, White etc.. who really do epitomise what club rugby is all about.

Kudo's also to Coach Richards, who certainly had his detractors on this forum earlier in the season.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
A quote from me on the 2012 Premier Rugby thread
Any change in the Tigers coaching ranks next year boys? You would think that if they missed out on the finals again heads would have to roll. After their good win in 2008 I'm surprised they haven't made the GF again.
Seems that won't be an issue.

Well done to the Tigers on winning the 2013 Comp.

T

Tigers Tale

Does anyone know where the 2013 Australian Club Championship was played - I think QLD UNI played Sydney UNI in the pre-season in Sydney - is that correct?

If the 2014 game is to be played in Brisbane - it would be great if it was played as a curtain raiser to a Super 15 game at Suncorp. Failing that what about a double header at Ballymore with the Premier & Premier Colts both playing off, with any proceeds going back to the Qld Premier clubs.

In 2009 an Andrew Walker inspired Easts recorded a great come from behind victory over Sydney Uni and it was played as a curtain raiser at the ANZ Stadium Homebush. This is a great experience for the club sides/players/coaches to play at the big venues.

I have been very quiet since the win but it was a tremendous win - a true team effort - you just can't beat the talented youth (Gunn & Placid), hardness (Bertini/Butler) and experience(Brandon).

Clearly these guys have taken the headlines but no-one has mentioned the fact that Kirwan Sanday played 60 minutes first back from knee surgery, in a scrum which clearly "outgunned" the GPS pack. In fact they were probably penalised a couple of times on Sunday for being too dominate. The Easts pack should rightly be acknowledged as the best in the competition.

Paraka would have to be ranked higher than Phil Kite after his two finals games where he played on either side of the scrum.

Nor has the achievement of Michael Stolberg been publicly acknowledged - he was admitted to hospital with an infected leg on Thursday released on Sunday morning and returned to hospital after the game.

Brandon & Bertini's boat has probably floated but I think you will see Gunn, Placid, Seuteni, Paraka, Enever, Ready picked up by professional franchises in the not to distant future.

Butler will be a big loss in 2014 but Easts would like to have a fit Ed Quirk in the back row come finals in 2014 provided he doesn't ascend to the Wallaby back row.

I think Sunday may have been Bertini's last for the club as he considers retirement, I don't think he has ever fully recovered from the foot/ankle injury which saw him miss the entire 2012 season - but you wouldn't have known on Sunday.

Plenty of stories to be told/made in this group of fine young men - but nothing will beat the "Tiger Spirit" they played with on Sunday.

Enjoy your summer.

TT

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
GPS and Easts are definitely worth putting some money on to win the Hospital cup as their Reds players most likely won't be called upon by Deans.

Uni, Brothers and Sunnybank are deservedly shortpriced favorites.

Man I wish I put money on this prediction when Easts were paying $11 at the beginning of the season.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Thanks for your support Southern X - I hope its not the kiss of death.

(Even though I am not contributing anymore I have been heartened by your words and "Don't go Chirpin" that there is still some interest in what I can contribute.)

As for Easts Wallabies in last couple of decades - Dave Wilson, Paul Kahl, Jeremy Paul, Benny Mowen, and then there was Jacob & Moses Rualuni for Fiji - all of whom were Easts juniors(i.e all home grown).

The only brought in Wallaby was Andrew Walker who didn't join Easts on the grounds of financial incentives - I can assure you.

In fact I have heard that there are 15 Easts juniors/colts in their GF squad of 23.

I'd be interested to know how many GPS juniors/colts are in their side.

TT - Easts, Easts, Easts

So TT that would leave 7 from the GC - Cox twins, JB, Pettowa, Uj, Kimmo, Shane C back up half

However there is also Enever from the Sunny Coast as well and is Placid an Easts jnr?

Simpo86

Frank Row (1)
So TT that would leave 7 from the GC - Cox twins, JB, Pettowa, Uj, Kimmo, Shane C back up half

However there is also Enever from the Sunny Coast as well and is Placid an Easts jnr?

Love it! Haters already trying to discredit Easts win.

Feels Bloody good to be from tigerland. Best team and best club culture in QLD.

YOU bloody beaty we're from TIGERLAND

I'll be singing that one for months to come

See ya next year boys

Simpo86

Frank Row (1)
OHHHHH WE'RE FROMM TIGERLANDDD!!!! WEEEEEW
YOU BLOODY BEAUTY!!!
WERE FROM TIGERLANDD!! WEEEW
Get that one stuck in your head boys

How good

Simpo86

Frank Row (1)
Easts-rugby-brisbane-logo.gif

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Ok so who's creating the QLD PREMIER 2014 THREAD so all us can talk about Brisbane Club Rugby & we can leave the Tiger Cheersquad in the 2013 thread to continue on with their celebrations???

T

Tigers Tale

Ok so who's creating the QLD PREMIER 2014 THREAD so all us can talk about Brisbane Club Rugby & we can leave the Tiger Cheersquad in the 2013 thread to continue on with their celebrations???

Southern X there has been very little positive written about the tigers on this forum so you just have to live with the "Tiger Pride" having a go.

We don't buy players (15 of the 23 were juniors/colts) and we gave guys like Butler, Enever, Coxes, an opportunity to grow as footballers - they were recruited as much on character as football ability and it was that character which got them home on Sunday. You would love some of that at Sylvan Road.

I noted that Souths reserve grade were sing both their songs on Sunday (i.e. "GPS are all xxxxxxx, Bros xxxx poor" and "Rugby football @ Chipsy Wood") - what have your Dogs done to upset the Pies enough that they chose to bastardise your song?

Great to see Ian Cameron (Coach) win another premiership (Souths Reserve Grade)- not too many better blokes in Brisbane Club Rugby than Camo - well done son. He's a man who loves his club but also sees good in other clubs as well. Maybe there is a lesson there for all of us.

Just for Mr Filth - Easts Easts Easts Easts

T

Tigers Tale

Pettowa, Placid & UJ are all Easts Colts - first club out of school.

The others were referred to Easts by their school coaches.

I can't see any of them wanting back into the Coasts.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Love it! Haters already trying to discredit Easts win.

Feels Bloody good to be from tigerland. Best team and best club culture in QLD.

YOU bloody beaty we're from TIGERLAND

I'll be singing that one for months to come

See ya next year boys

Simpo not hating merely pointing out to TT that over a third of your premier squad for the GF were developed from outside Easts.
Not hating on Easts at all, they thoroughly deserved their victory and the spoils that go with it and GPS were a worthy finalist just didn't capitalise on opportunities as Easts did.
A lot was made of Samu Kerevi in the build up and the sort of impact he might provide but how slick was Toby White in showing a clean pair of heels for the Tiges first five pointer. Someone needs to give that man a Reds contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.