• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
"BraveandGame, post: 762031, member: 20727"]Does anyone have link to the City V Country program or a starting line up for the 13's and 14's??
Try the Qld Reds web site/ page.[/quote]

I was looking for a starting team run on line up now jut the squad I want to see where a few of the 14's were selected to play

Union 4 Life

Frank Row (1)
These so called experts (Gold Coast Rugby) are killing rugby and are damaging young boys lives.

They are driving away talent of the future, to other codes or even giving up sport all together.

Parents are also to blame in some cases, The pressure applied to some kids is crazy and more often than not they burn out or resent the game

Too much old boys network going on and the pals act .

The fair play concept i beleive is designed for money making as they are meant to be a reps side (The best of the best) its redicilous having two average even sides and coming 6th and 9th.

1st place is what these boys want nothing else, so stop being politically correct and ask these boys who put their bodies on the line week after week what they want. I dare you.

Since when did competion get remove from Gold Coast rugby, I did not read about it, as no one I know or speak to goes out on the field to loose games. if the competition has been remove from Gold Coast, Why do we still have final's???

I feel this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed before we lose all the teams on the Coast.

R

Rugby Spirit

I hear what your saying Red.

I heard some parents/coaches rip into others to boost their own kids and or players to fill their own agenda before and at the tournament.
Poor form people poor form!

Good on the boys playing City V Country, have fun enjoy.
But maybe some of their parents/coaches could show some humility and not brag, put down others, not selected.
You know you talk and word gets around, everyone has friends who tell, I know who you are now.

Just like to say to the young men that missing squad selection, it has nothing to do with you, your ability or skill.
Often it's one mans opinion and if you fit his mindset, not every coach has the same views on players and how the game is played.

Keep standing tall, playing hard and be that great kid the people around you love, and that goes for all of you out there. :)

U14 would have been the toughest city team to select, so much talent in this age group and I believe the Brisbane sides may have beaten each other, I know after day 2 Pool A had 3 teams with 3 wins and 1 loss and it came down to bonus points the eventual finalists I believe came from this pool my unlucky players...

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
eeekk... 74-0 u13 City over Country.

I predicted 62-0 and my painfully right friend actually predicted the end score spot on... grrrr.

Unfortunate for Country not having access to a number of players who weren't available because they hadn't played in the State Champs. I wouldn't argue to much about the selection of those who may or may not have been picked based on what was available - It wouldn't have made much difference in my mind. But I wouldn't put this result down to the lack of talent in the country regions - they are indeed there, just not all there today.

But having said that, City have talent right across the team and deserved their big win.

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)
eeekk. 74-0 u13 City over Country.

I predicted 62-0 and my painfully right friend actually predicted the end score spot on. grrrr.

Unfortunate for Country not having access to a number of players who weren't available because they hadn't played in the State Champs. I wouldn't argue to much about the selection of those who may or may not have been picked based on what was available - It wouldn't have made much difference in my mind. But I wouldn't put this result down to the lack of talent in the country regions - they are indeed there, just not all there today.

But having said that, City have talent right across the team and deserved their big win.
Yep on the money, 14`s were just as bad.
Another year or two of these blowouts could see the concept scrapped.
There is no development in this for kids going out there to be flogged, you learn nothing in two trainings and a game, the whole thing is so rushed.
Better concept in the Junior gold cup, training twice a week, plus games over 6 to 8 weeks, in that time coaches can learn more about his players, players learn more also.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'd like to like this post more than once, but I can't. Well done country - great result. There is a great pool of talent outside Brisbane. It is taking time to establish effective pathways and there is plenty left to do - but country boys are definitely getting a better opportunity than they were even 2-3 years ago. I commend all involved.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@ Old Red

I first raised the likelihoods you raised a couple of pages back on this thread.

I even gave reasons.

To re-iterate and summarise :

1. Talent is undoubtedly there however is too thinly spread

2. What talent is there will / is migrating earlier as U12 / U13 recruitment picks up moreso than what it was 3 to 4 years ago ( which explains result difference between U13 to U16 )

It would help , IMO , amongst a lot of other things if TSS and TGS got into the game a lot earlier

The QRU can slap each other on the backs for now but they don't have a sustainable carnival in the current format within the next 2 to 3 years, which means , they would be foolish to get bewitched by their current "success"

There is a problem that needs to be fixed and likely via reinvention

Union 4 Life

Frank Row (1)
eeekk. 74-0 u13 City over Country.

I predicted 62-0 and my painfully right friend actually predicted the end score spot on. grrrr.

Need we say any more actions speak louder than words.

The ones i feel sorry for are the boys put out there like lambs to slaughter.
This is not my idea of fair play and having fun .
Absolutely disgusted by it all.
Politics get rid of all of them and start fresh with new proceedures put in place and try salvage whats left of gold coast rugby before its too late.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I mean look at the U13 game / team

15 x GPS Kids
6 x AIC Kids
2 x Private College / State School Kids

Bet anyone anything that at least 4 of those AIC boys will end up at GPS Schools before the end of their School Years are over . Same with the State School kids

And it's a vicious cycle because "Country Recruits/ State School Recruits" will likely increase the GPS to AIC Rep Ratio earlier .

So it roots Country depth , and ultimately , widens the gulf between GPS and AIC competition - and in this vicious and perpetuating cycle, ambitious AIC parents that want to maintain pathway opportunity will / are transferring their sons

The thing of it is ...the U13 City Team didn't even play that well despite the 72-0 result . The best and most fundamental that were worthy of such a supposed showcase were Gold 19 ( Reserve Flanker that should have been starting but that's another story ) and Gold 12 . There were others that did well such as Gold 10 and Gold 11 ( who did what he was there to do ) but honestly the rest of it was pretty uninspiring and ho-hum.

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)

15 x GPS Kids
6 x AIC Kids

Bet anyone anything that at least 4 of those AIC boys will end up at GPS Schools before the end of their School Years are over . Same with the State School kids

And it's a vicious cycle because "Country Recruits/ State School Recruits" will likely increase the GPS to AIC Rep Ratio earlier .

So it roots Country depth , and ultimately , widens the gulf between GPS and AIC competition - and in this vicious and perpetuating cycle, ambitious AIC parents that want to maintain pathway opportunity will / are transferring their sons

The thing of it is .the U13 City Team didn't even play that well despite the 72-0 result . The best and most fundamental that were worthy of such a supposed showcase were Gold 19 ( Reserve Flanker that should have been starting but that's another story ) and Gold 12 . There were others that did well such as Gold 10 and Gold 11 ( who did what he was there to do ) but honestly the rest of it was pretty uninspiring and ho-hum.
I agree, Watched the games today and the 13's were ok, even less impressed by the 14's.
City May have won but it was only because a hand full of kids turned up to play in the City team, and it was like the Country boys were not even interested.
Watching last year V this years City, Country, last years games were bettter by far.

On a note, I'm told two U14 City boys were Country last year, because they one board and play in Brisbane now.
This only helps City and weakens the Country team, maybe regulations need to be put in place so they can still represent Country, as that's where their home is.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
On a note, I'm told two U14 City boys were Country last year, because they one board and play in Brisbane now.
This only helps City and weakens the Country team, maybe regulations need to be put in place so they can still represent Country, as that's where their home is.

Yes exactly. Outside of the GC, not many know that this is part of the reason why the two best u13's GC players were not available to play for GC at the State Champs this year. These boys are now living in Brisbane and attending a Brisbane school which made it too difficult to commute to trainings etc (along with other reasons they missed out on this years State Champs and Country Selection).

They will also join a Brisbane club next year making them available for BJRU & City selection further weakening Country and strengthening Brisbane teams and City. I think this is GO's point; the country teams will and are already been weakened and this will only escalate.

BASSO

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes exactly. Outside of the GC, not many know that this is part of the reason why the two best u13's GC players were not available to play for GC at the State Champs this year. These boys are now living in Brisbane and attending a Brisbane school which made it too difficult to commute to trainings etc (along with other reasons they missed out on this years State Champs and Country Selection).

They will also join a Brisbane club next year making them available for BJRU & City selection further weakening Country and strengthening Brisbane teams and City. I think this is GO's point; the country teams will and are already been weakened and this will only escalate.

A simple solution for all this and to keep the City V Country thing alive may be to go down the path of an Origin sort of thing, the boys get selected based on where they played their first Junior game of Rugby, that would make it interesting, that way all those boys who do come down to Brisbane in their teen years and swap to Brisbane clubs and GPS schools still get the opportunity to play for the country.

BASSO

Bob McCowan (2)

In addition to your comments Tashara, and at the risk of copping a pasting from others, I would say that the city sides win whilst devastating was fairly predictable and in years to come the winger type sprinter will not be able to just catch and run around kids and score tries like they did yesterday, as the boys get older and better defensive patterns emerge they will lose this advantage and the creative players of the like you refer to will become more and more effective. The game would have been vastly different if the 2 boys your refer to had been involved.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)

15 x GPS Kids
6 x AIC Kids

The thing of it is .the U13 City Team didn't even play that well despite the 72-0 result . The best and most fundamental that were worthy of such a supposed showcase were Gold 19 ( Reserve Flanker that should have been starting but that's another story ) and Gold 12 . There were others that did well such as Gold 10 and Gold 11 ( who did what he was there to do ) but honestly the rest of it was pretty uninspiring and ho-hum.
With 74 points in 50 minutes, there was a lot of down time spent taking conversions, walking back to half way and kicking off. It cost anywhere up to 20% of the game time. Disappointing for the 46 boys involved. Time to ban tees and take drop kicks so there is more game time. With no time off for injuries and kicks, it makes sense to keep the ball in play in most junior games - maybe not this one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.