• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
With 74 points in 50 minutes, there was a lot of down time spent taking conversions, walking back to half way and kicking off. It cost anywhere up to 20% of the game time. Disappointing for the 46 boys involved. Time to ban tees and take drop kicks so there is more game time. With no time off for injuries and kicks, it makes sense to keep the ball in play in most junior games - maybe not this one though.

Not sure I agree with you

It only would have embarrassed Country all the more

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)
In addition to your comments Tashara, and at the risk of copping a pasting from others, I would say that the city sides win whilst devastating was fairly predictable and in years to come the winger type sprinter will not be able to just catch and run around kids and score tries like they did yesterday, as the boys get older and better defensive patterns emerge they will lose this advantage and the creative players of the like you refer to will become more and more effective. The game would have been vastly different if the 2 boys your refer to had been involved.

I'll add to that, watching the games back, especially U14's
The creative type player will carve up with such lumbering type front rows, you won't get away with these types of selections in the next couple of years.
Watching the older grade, the front rows were strong but more mobile.

T-bone

Frank Row (1)
Kids read this , no problem with all the rest , just leave the kids alone . Self esteem , anxiety issues don't need to be brought on by you idiots . Remember there only 13 . Try surrounding yourself in a positive bubble , it works well.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I've sanitised this thread! Please keep peoples identities and the abuse out of your posts. I don't read the junior rugby posts very often and I don't know who is who so if I start banning people anyone could go.

The REAL Sully

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks Sully, was just about to come on and clean things up a bit. A few comments from me.

Firstly, as a dad with a 12 year old son who's just had his first 'rep' experience I must say I came away with a decidedly negative feel from the whole thing and most of it was because of the parents. The intensity towards their children and how they played and the outcome of these 'games' was beyond my expectations.

It is very similar to some of the comments I see here. I can not believe we are talking about teenage kids sometimes. I actually feel bad for the children of some of those making these comments. It just seems that living vicariously through your children to such extremes is just unhealthy. It worries me to think that some of these comments could be made about my sons in the years to come

From all perspectives of jnr rugby it should be what does the child want.

Now, as a moderator like Sully. Not much that GO nor Tashara has said has really crossed the line yet in terms of forum rules. Some is close but I haven't seen it.

Others have recently done so with direct abuse of fellow posters and will be dealt with.

If you believe someone has gone too far then please report them. There are procedures in place here. Follow them.

In the end the intent, particularly with these topics about jnr kids, is to be positive as possible and ideally not referencing individuals in any sort of criticism - it's highly inappropriate at this level.

King Henry

Stan Wickham (3)
Thanks Sully, was just about to come on and clean things up a bit. A few comments from me.

Firstly, as a dad with a 12 year old son who's just had his first 'rep' experience I must say I came away with a decidedly negative feel from the whole thing and most of it was because of the parents. The intensity towards their children and how they played and the outcome of these 'games' was beyond my expectations.

It is very similar to some of the comments I see here. I can not believe we are talking about teenage kids sometimes. I actually feel bad for the children of some of those making these comments. It just seems that living vicariously through your children to such extremes is just unhealthy. It worries me to think that some of these comments could be made about my sons in the years to come

From all perspectives of jnr rugby it should be what does the child want.

Now, as a moderator like Sully. Not much that GO nor Tashara has said has really crossed the line yet in terms of forum rules. Some is close but I haven't seen it.

Others have recently done so with direct abuse of fellow posters and will be dealt with.

If you believe someone has gone too far then please report them. There are procedures in place here. Follow them.

In the end the intent, particularly with these topics about jnr kids, is to be positive as possible and ideally not referencing individuals in any sort of criticism - it's highly inappropriate at this level.

Your a legend!

rugbysthewinner

Peter Burge (5)
The creative type player will carve up with such lumbering type front rows, you won't get away with these types of selections in the next couple of years.

Interesting statement re the Forwards in the 14's. I thought the City forwards were quite mobile, especially the number 1,3 & 8, all of whom had a very physical weekend, whilst 2 of the big country props were rotated through the same position every 5 - 10 minutes. In terms of the better games last year, we have to remember that these boys all backed up after a tough 3 days of playing some extremely physical rugby. Last year the boys had a couple of days off before they even started training.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Yeah agree. The kid who really impressed me in the 16's was Country 16 . I thought he was the best of the Country Props and for a big lad he had good mobility around the field . Although a lot of the time mobility = attitude/ desire

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
And more Prop love in the 16's if you just can't get enough....Gold 3 was best of all Props on the day In the 16's.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
It didn't watch the 14's as closely as the 16's

Found it hard to get that interested in it and even guys I have seen play much better were off the boil

But the 16's game was pretty entertaining

The Country backline was pretty good to watch - I thought best overall were gold 20 and Blue 15

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting statement re the Forwards in the 14's. I thought the City forwards were quite mobile, especially the number 1,3 & 8, all of whom had a very physical weekend, whilst 2 of the big country props were rotated through the same position every 5 - 10 minutes. In terms of the better games last year, we have to remember that these boys all backed up after a tough 3 days of playing some extremely physical rugby. Last year the boys had a couple of days off before they even started training.

No 8 was great as was the rest of the backrow, wasn't impressed with the front row at all, sorry just not what I call mobile, really apart from the scrum they were not involved much.
But they won, so they did enough, considering Country really didn't put up a fight, maybe as you said, the quick turnaround took it out of them more than the City kids.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
No 8 was great as was the rest of the backrow, wasn't impressed with the front row at all, sorry just not what I call mobile, really apart from the scrum they were not involved much.
But they won, so they did enough, considering Country really didn't put up a fight, maybe as you said, the quick turnaround took it out of them more than the City kids.

The front row was contentious in some eyes, there were 3/4 very unlucky boys, from Pink and Orange, who I feel we're by far the two dominate Brisbane teams, but we're not rewarded for this, not sure on that go back and look at the scores for the weekend.

And yer, it wasn't the most mobile working City pack, but they got it done, give them that.

It is a very tough age group, the talent or depth is very deep and hence the Brisbane sides were closely contested, I think Orange V Pink exemplified that with a 12/7 scored line, if we're honest there was nothing in.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
The front row was contentious in some eyes, there were 3/4 very unlucky boys, from Pink and Orange, who I feel we're by far the two dominate Brisbane teams, but we're not rewarded for this, not sure on that go back and look at the scores for the weekend.

And yer, it wasn't the most mobile working City pack, but they got it done, give them that.

It is a very tough age group, the talent or depth is very deep and hence the Brisbane sides were closely contested, I think Orange V Pink exemplified that with a 12/7 scored line, if we're honest there was nothing in.
I didn't see the City v Country games but heard that last year's #2 in the 13s missed out on selection in the 14s city team despite captaining his Blue team that defeated Pink in the state champs pool round. I suppose it comes down to what certain coaches want in their sides and proves incumbency means nothing at this level? Perhaps he is no longer one of the best two hookers? However, to encourage development and provide some sort of continuum, it might be prudent if boys in this situation who have previously been picked at this level receive a courtesy call. The under 13 coach is not the under 14 coach this year so you CAN understand how this may not happen. However, perhaps the boy might be a bit perplexed if nobody in the Reds Rugby/QJRU set up gives him some sort of explanation, rationale or at worst, encouragement when he misses the cut entirely. Not sure how many incumbents missed out? Perhaps the newly tanned GO or Old Red can tell us?

Status
Not open for further replies.