• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 12 2018 NSFW Waratahs vs Auckland Blues. 36 and 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He's a winger. All the jokes about making him an 8 don't actually make him an 8 or an effective ball carrier.

What does it even mean to be an effective ball carrier who is ineffective in traffic? That's contradictory.

Its not, part of being a blind side winger is being able to be that threat in traffic on the inside.

Only being a threat in space, with a 10m wind up is not enough

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't really agree. I get taking a short inside ball hoping to find a hole like Digby did off Quade in the good old days. That was not at all what the Tahs were doing. They tried to use him as a battering ram, unsupported against a set defence. That's an 8's job. He's not Billy Vunipola.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I don't really agree. I get taking a short inside ball hoping to find a hole like Digby did off Quade in the good old days. That was not at all what the Tahs were doing. They tried to use him as a battering ram, unsupported against a set defence. That's an 8's job. He's not Billy Vunipola.

Often it's not actually the huge wingers that do a good job receiving the inside ball from the ten but the smaller faster ones that pop up unexpectedly, get on the outside of a prop and skirt through a tiny hole.

The Lions knew what was coming with Taqele. A lot is made of his size, which is obviously a huge advantage in one on ones, but if he's running in tight against Malcom Marx and a couple of buddies they're going to win the contest. Hopefully having Israel back will prevent the Blues from targeting Taqele and give him a bit more space to do his thing.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The Lions knew what was coming with Taqele. A lot is made of his size, which is obviously a huge advantage in one on ones, but if he's running in tight against Malcom Marx and a couple of buddies they're going to win the contest. Hopefully having Israel back will prevent the Blues from targeting Taqele and give him a bit more space to do his thing.

To be fair i think Marx could stop him in full flight. He's a monster.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

I completely agree with fatprop above- he needs more to his arsenal than being effective between the 5m line and the sideline and currently that is all he has. Any 120kg back should be able to get over the advantage line on a set piece play without losing the ball..

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
He's a winger. All the jokes about making him an 8 don't actually make him an 8 or an effective ball carrier.

What does it even mean to be an effective ball carrier who is ineffective in traffic? That's contradictory.
Being a rounded player requires more than just the ability to run over smaller players in wide channels...

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That doesn't involve doing something no winger is expected to be able to do...

None of Koroibete, Naivalu or Speight would do any better with that strategy?

Nonsense

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I completely agree with fatprop above- he needs more to his arsenal than being effective between the 5m line and the sideline and currently that is all he has. Any 120kg back should be able to get over the advantage line on a set piece play without losing the ball..
He was doing the hard yards fine before the Lions game. Against the Sunwolves, Brumbies, and Red he made the advantage line in tight. The Lions shut him down well in that area, credit to them. You can’t expect him to play the role of enforcer in tight to a greater standard than other runners who play that role. Thor runs in that channel often for the Reds and we don’t expect him to make line break after line break. He is actually used as a 9th forward runner in tight and not as a standard blind side winger looking for a hole.

If he has the same problem this week then this discussion is more valid. Until then I won’t judge the best winger in the comp for Aus thus far on the basis of one game.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't get the hate for big T? His strike rate for scoring tries is unbelievable, even in past years when he wasn't going so well i reckon he would score every 3rd touch of the ball.

Sure he has weaker parts of his game but scoring tries is the primary goal of wingers and he does that better than anyone else in the team.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Phil Kearns Tears (Of Joy) Watch.
Time: T-minus 18 hrs
Tears Status: **Welling Ominously**
tears1_zpswowm5ncr.jpg

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Phil Kearns Tears (Of Joy) Watch.

Time: T-minus 11 hrs

Tears Status: **HIGH ALERT**

ATTN//: Tahs fans. Please stay OUT OF the immediate Kearns geyser area at this time.
geyser_zpsudue00hy.gif
In an effort to bless yourselves with some of the sacred Kearnsian sacremental ductial water, some of you have been straying TOO CLOSE to the goddamn source.

Full peak geyser time is expected later on tonight.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
oh shit. Herald today
the Blues are New Zealand's worst and have headed to Sydney with essentially a rag-tag bunch of rookies and provincial journeymen with no idea - none, zip, zero - how to stay united in the face of sustained pressure.

The Blues are in such a state that it is likely they don't always score when they are unopposed at training and once the Waratahs have located the ground and are safely out of the bus, that will be 80 per cent of the battle won right there.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Ok, so Brookvale Oval (aka Lottoland) is the home of ACL injuries. My money is on one of the Ioane's.

Status
Not open for further replies.