• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Two high-profile players are now known as ''Batman and Robin'' at their Australian province after being sighted at a seedy nightclub. The Batmobile had to negotiate several poles and tram tracks during the getaway.

Read more:http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/season-strife-brings-call-for-dash-of-foreign-flair-20120405-1wffn.html#ixzz1rB0rsmad

I think the article may be referring to the rippers ("several poles") unless I've read too much into nothing.

That would rule out Revs and certainly Boutique. Speaking of which I think you'd have to be crazy to think Boutique, an establishment full of wankers chucking cash around, is as seedy as Revs, one of the only 24 hour establishments in Melb.

Either way I don't think this little tidbit is even insinuating a controversy.... just saying they go there. Sounds like a non-event.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's a pity that PAE is injured as it would have been an ideal opportunity for him to get on the park for the first time.

I've seen Eddie A play decent games on the TH side of the scrum at the club level but obviously they have seen him playing on the TH side in trials and not been impressed.

Wallaby Way

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't understand why the Rebels can't put Eddie A on the bench and switch Henderson to tighthead if Blake gets injured. I'm pretty sure that Henderson has played at 3 at the Brumbies earlier in his career. He's definitely played there for the Canberra Vikings in the past.

Either way, I agree with Nuci, the Rebels should have to demonstrate that there isn't any Oz talent around. I don't think this is the case; Ofa Fainga’anuku, Ruan Smith, Troy Tariki, Ben Coutts & Cruze Ah-Nau come to mind.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Ofa is a LHP; so is Ruan Smith (I think he played there for the Qld Academy team earlier in the year, as he did at school) and if he is a THP now he is overweight anyway. Cruz Ah Nau is a LHP who I have seen play THP, but not very well, and is young - and was overlooked for a Force EPS spot. I don't know Troy Tariki. Ben Coutts has dropped off my radar - is he still playing up north?

I've just seen the teams for the opening round of the Shute Shield on Saturday and note that Sam Talaki is playing THP for Sydney Uni. I rate him and he is old enough now to have a go at Super rugby in an EPS. Some of the other THPs playing on the weekend are Neville Nobodies, which happens during the Super season; so there are not a lot of other good THP picks around in Sydney.

But agree that Eddie A should get a shot. He is principally a LHP but looked decent at THP the times I saw him play there for Manly; not very often and only at the club level, mind.

Nic Henderson is doing OK at LHP but he's not a THP; not really.

T

tranquility

Troy Tariki i assume was meant to be Troy Takiari... I assume his rugby days are behind him?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What other props are in the Australian teams' EPS?

Technically, the Rebels could apply to the other teams and the ARU to pinch one of their EPS props?

Thankfully, the Brumbies have already capped 4/5 of their EPS players...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
What other props are in the Australian teams' EPS?

Apart from Eddie A at the Rebels:

Brumbies - Scott Sio - LHP (mentioned as a utility who can cover all 3 FR positions, but forget him as a THP). Played from the bench at LHP against the Sharks.

Tahs - Lotu Taukeiaho - Randwick THP - hardhead club player but at the Super level?

Reds - Albert Annae - prop, hooker but really just a hooker IMO. Played against the Force.

Force - Salesi Manu LHP but did OK at THP a few times when I saw him for the Rats in club rugby.

There are very few Oz THPs outside of the Super teams that you can recommend.

Not quite to the point but It underwrites the value of Sekope Kepu at the Tahs and to a lesser extent Ben Alexander for the Brumbies, and James Slipper and Holmes for the Reds. Kepu was the best THP in Super rugby last year yet was picked to be the starting LHP for the Wallabies in the RWC when Fat Cat was injured.

T

tranquility

Also Kevin Davis in in our EPS stable. He is the bloke who has played U20s for the English. Not sure if he is LH or TH though

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I like Jono Owen, hopefully this turns into what Charles was at the Force.

Upon actually reading the article it seems less like a "lend" and more like the Brums have cut Jono and he agreed because the Rebs have signed him on the short term.

Good call all parties concerned; the Rebs need a prop, the Brums have the depth and are not interested in Jono anymore (who is at LEAST a good Super level bench player), and Jono gets a chance to further his career.

He has potential, he ripped it up for Counties in the 2010 NZ Cup.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Give Eddie A a start, Club rugby for the last 2 years Manly's scrum has dominated all others, and gave Uni a solid push last year in the semi's when they had a Super 15 pack.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Upon actually reading the article it seems less like a "lend" and more like the Brums have cut Jono and he agreed because the Rebs have signed him on the short term.

Good call all parties concerned; the Rebs need a prop, the Brums have the depth and are not interested in Jono anymore (who is at LEAST a good Super level bench player), and Jono gets a chance to further his career.

He has potential, he ripped it up for Counties in the 2010 NZ Cup.

Yeah, it looks like it was the beginning of the end for Owen and Jerry at the Brumbies anyways, particularly with the likes of Murphy and Sio overtaking them in the pecking order...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom