• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The average Geelong citizen will know there are two codes of rugby but they will not know the difference.

The Storm are shooting themselves in the foot as much as anyone else because it'll effectively just split the crowd, there wouldn't be too many people with the interest to go to both.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Alternatively, to incentivise people to make the trip down for the weekend.
Yes, that's probably Geelong council's reason for bringing both down on the same weekend. Hoping people stay down and spend money rather than drive in and drive out after the game.
Is there much cross over between Rebels and Storm fans?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yes, that's probably Geelong council's reason for bringing both down on the same weekend. Hoping people stay down and spend money rather than drive in and drive out after the game.
Is there much cross over between Rebels and Storm fans?

I don't know, there was a massive cross-over between rugby fans and Storm fans pre-Rebels in the bad old days, but not I'm not sure.

I presume there's at least a reasonable cross-over. Probably not for Geelong locals though.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If there is anyone who knows anyone influential with recruiting at the Rebels could they please tell them to watch some Bordeaux in the Top 14 and pay special attention to Blair Connor. The bloke is a small zippy winger who runs and defends with all the aggression you could ask.

He's on fire in the Top 14 and every man worth his salt knows that's got a similar quality of play to Super Rugby (but admittedly a different play style). At 24 and fully Australian (born/raised in our systems) let's throw some cash at him and not let him become a career Top 14 player like Butch James.

You heard it here first!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If there is anyone who knows anyone influential with recruiting at the Rebels could they please tell them to watch some Bordeaux in the Top 14 and pay special attention to Blair Connor. The bloke is a small zippy winger who runs and defends with all the aggression you could ask.

He's on fire in the Top 14 and every man worth his salt knows that's got a similar quality of play to Super Rugby (but admittedly a different play style). At 24 and fully Australian (born/raised in our systems) let's throw some cash at him and not let him become a career Top 14 player like Butch James.

You heard it here first!

As a regular Top 14 watcher, I'd definitely say he's worth a look. Certainly would be better value that Cipriani.

Also caught in today's Sun Herald that Rebels have signed Olympic shot-putter Dale Stevenson. Will go into their academy with a view to playing prop. He's got the strength and build and has played rugby at school.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...readies-to-prop-up-rebels-20121222-2bsff.html

It might not work, but it's good to see the Rebels thinking outside the square and also trying to develop talent.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
When you see the Dale Stevenson story I wonder how many other front rowers (or any other position for that matter) there are out there in the Southern/Western states who just sit on the sidelines or in the lower grades in AFL not realizing that in our sport they can be super stars.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
When you see the Dale Stevenson story I wonder how many other front rowers (or any other position for that matter) there are out there in the Southern/Western states who just sit on the sidelines or in the lower grades in AFL not realizing that in our sport they can be super stars.

Heaps I'll bet. Some of those big ruckmen in the 2nd row, some of those rovers in back row, some of wingmen in the backs, etc.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
As a regular Top 14 watcher, I'd definitely say he's worth a look. Certainly would be better value that Cipriani.

Also caught in today's Sun Herald that Rebels have signed Olympic shot-putter Dale Stevenson. Will go into their academy with a view to playing prop. He's got the strength and build and has played rugby at school.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...readies-to-prop-up-rebels-20121222-2bsff.html

It might not work, but it's good to see the Rebels thinking outside the square and also trying to develop talent.

Yeah, I think with Connor's age and the lure of Wallaby Gold you'd be able to snap him up at the average price of a starting Aussie Super Rugby outside back. Hopefully he comes back soon, I won't over talk him but he looks like a guaranteed Super Rugby starter to me.

As for Stevenson, I don't think they've signed him I just think they've offered him an avenue. Quins are a good (but under performing) club, I can't see him walking into their 1st grade in 2013 but here's hoping.

I do wish the Rebels were a bit more logical and took a local product or 3 and put them in the EPS instead of highly publicising people who are very much outside chances.

There's be plenty of props and maybe even some 2nd rowers running around at low level Aussie rules footy but probably not too many in other positions like Quick Hands hopes.

There's plenty of AFL and VFL spots. I'd suggest 90% of Aussie rules playing blokes with the body shape and sporting ability to play outside the tight 5 at high levels of rugby union would already be in one of these leagues (not to mention the WAFL and SAFL).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, I think with Connor's age and the lure of Wallaby Gold you'd be able to snap him up at the average price of a starting Aussie Super Rugby outside back. Hopefully he comes back soon, I won't over talk him but he looks like a guaranteed Super Rugby starter to me.

As for Stevenson, I don't think they've signed him I just think they've offered him an avenue. Quins are a good (but under performing) club, I can't see him walking into their 1st grade in 2013 but here's hoping.

I do wish the Rebels were a bit more logical and took a local product or 3 and put them in the EPS instead of highly publicising people who are very much outside chances.

There's be plenty of props and maybe even some 2nd rowers running around at low level Aussie rules footy but probably not too many in other positions like Quick Hands hopes.

There's plenty of AFL and VFL spots. I'd suggest 90% of Aussie rules playing blokes with the body shape and sporting ability to play outside the tight 5 at high levels of rugby union would already be in one of these leagues (not to mention the WAFL and SAFL).

I'm sure your right with that, but at least the VRU and clubs can now offer an elite pathway with the arrival of the Rebels.

This is no doubt why the Storm have programmed a match in Geelong in opposition to the Rebels. You'd know better than me, but I'm told there is a significant expat NZ and pacific islands population in Melbourne, rugby would be their 1st preference, but if no rugby they'll go to league.

Incidentally, I found the Rebels the most watchable of the Australian teams last year; always had a go and always played positive rugby.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Good to see Vuna re-sign for two years.

Remember the Storm are playing in UK on Feb 22, so that weekend is probably the only realistic weekend for them to play a trial in Victoria. Usually the Storm play the Raiders in a trial in southern NSW. So given the Storm's travel in the early part of the season I assume they decided to hold it a little closer to home this year.

As for cross over between the two codes I am a member of both the Storm and the Rebels.

Has anyone heard any rumours about who will fill the last spot on the Rebels roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.