• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Assuming he's got his headaches sorted out I'd happily take Barnes (or Lilo or To'omua). He's pretty much exactly what we need, a solid all round fly-half with boat loads of experience.

I think he's sometimes unfairly tagged with a kick first mentality. A lot of that was the game plan he was playing under. His last stint in the wallabies where he was flatter and running more he was just about the best player on the field and basically won us a few games against the welsh in an otherwise ordinary wobs team. However someone who can make a bit of distance AND find touch is sorely needed. I think he would be a good mentor for hegarty too, there are a lot of similarities there.

Oh and Engligh to 13 when Ellison sadly leaves, he looks made for it now he's got a bit more size and experience.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So the Rebels IG feed that a key re-signing will be announced tomorrow. Let the speculation begin....

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Even if it was gameplan stuff, a conservative coach like McGahan will have Barnes kicking allllll the time. We don't have a team geared up to play that sort of territory game. We're better off getting a passing/running flyhalf like Lilo who still has a reasonable kicking game.

D

daz

So the Rebels IG feed that a key resigning will be announced tomorrow. Let the speculation begin..

Gee, they are a bit late with this announcement. I renewed my membership at the end of last year.

:p

Oh, and I am assuming you mean re-signing, and not a resignation.

D

daz

Assuming he's got his headaches sorted out I'd happily take Barnes (or Lilo or To'omua). He's pretty much exactly what we need, a solid all round fly-half with boat loads of experience.

I think he's sometimes unfairly tagged with a kick first mentality. A lot of that was the game plan he was playing under. His last stint in the wallabies where he was flatter and running more he was just about the best player on the field and basically won us a few games against the welsh in an otherwise ordinary wobs team. However someone who can make a bit of distance AND find touch is sorely needed. I think he would be a good mentor for hegarty too, there are a lot of similarities there.

Oh and Engligh to 13 when Ellison sadly leaves, he looks made for it now he's got a bit more size and experience.

A simple "like" was not enough for this. I would have written the exact same thing.

I agree with everything DVH says here.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
@daz, I agree he gets a bit of unfair stick, but I fear I may crack if I have to watch him going for those ridiculous 25 metre checksides for touch come penalty time. He's not as bad as some people say, but he's still not all that.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Ok I'll kick off the speculation bandwagon by trying to list the player who I think are up for re-signing:

Lorenzo
Woody
Rebel Neville
Bryce(?)

I think Engo, Mitch, Merlin, Higgers and Fugs are signed up. No idea about the others.

Little Ranga and Sean (we need to get this kid a nickname) have recently inked a deal.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I think it is one of the players in the picture posted in the fees and if it's either Hegarty or Ellison.
I would love it of we signed Barnes. He is a fantastic player.
The issue with lilo is that he wants to be a 12 not a ten
We could have Barnes to lilo to Inman tho and I would not complain about that.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So the speculation on FB about the re-signing has gone a little crazy with plenty of speculation. For those who don't partake in Facey-B:
  • It's not Luke, Tom, Higgers, Delve, Lilo, To'omua, Mitch, Hugh, Vic the Rebel or Adam Frier. Vic the rebel has however been reassigned to official tackle bag (pleasssse make this happen)...
  • Mister Rebel media person didn't say it wasn't Woody, Crumbs or Tamati.
  • Comments like 'but this guys a ripper, you'll be happy to see him re-sign' and 'this guy is a fan favorite in Melbourne already' tends to indicate someone like Laurie Weeks. He is marketed that way in some forums.
We do know it will be announced after lunch on FB and Twitter.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So the speculation on FB about the re-signing has gone a little crazy with plenty of speculation. For those who don't partake in Facey-B:
  • It's not Luke, Tom, Higgers, Delve, Lilo, To'omua, Mitch, Hugh, Vic the Rebel or Adam Frier. Vic the rebel has however been reassigned to official tackle bag (pleasssse make this happen).
  • Mister Rebel media person didn't say it wasn't Woody, Crumbs or Tamati.
  • Comments like 'but this guys a ripper, you'll be happy to see him re-sign' and 'this guy is a fan favorite in Melbourne already' tends to indicate someone like Laurie Weeks. He is marketed that way in some forums.
We do know it will be announced after lunch on FB and Twitter.
Forgot Vuna is back in Melbourne

Sent from my LG-E975K using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Forgot Vuna is back in Melbourne

Sent from my LG-E975K using Tapatalk

Very true, but it is a re-signing. Technically he would be a new signing (semantic argument, I know). Looks like he's involved with the doggies this year, albeit guest DJ for a party.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
@daz, I agree he gets a bit of unfair stick, but I fear I may crack if I have to watch him going for those ridiculous 25 metre checksides for touch come penalty time. He's not as bad as some people say, but he's still not all that.
Guy at the rebels coaching staff. Said that's the only issue with recruiting
Him. To get him you need another 10

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
from this mornings "australian"

fuglisallter fuglistaller the re-signing ?

(sorry fugs !)

Melbourne Rebels look to steady the ship
149462-e9776f40-cf7b-11e3-ab2b-e4c47732fa7b.jpg

The Melbourne Rebels hope to re-sign Scott Fuglistaller. Picture: Colleen Petch. Source: News Corp Australia
THE Melbourne Rebels are looking to create stability in their playing roster after three years of high turnover at the Super Rugby expansion franchise, but they still plan to make some key additions.
Rugby operations manager Baden Stephenson said the club’s focus was on the retention of players to grow the team over the next couple of years.
“Right at the minute we have a strong retention focus,” Stephenson said. “The Rebels have had such a big turnover of players in the last three years we are keen to maintain the squad and grow the squad and develop the squad and keep the squad together.
“That is important, particularly here at the Rebels, who have had 10 to 15 guys leave every year, which doesn’t do a lot for stability.
“Up until this year they had a very experienced and old list. This year we’ve gone to the other extreme. We’ve got a young list. Hopefully, we’ll keep those key guys together. Sean McMahon has re-signed. Scott Fuglistaller is re-signing. There are a couple of others who hopefully aren’t too far away.”
Stephenson said Melbourne was looking to add “depth and quality” to several positions, including five-eighth, hooker and second row. The Rebels have approached Brumbies playmakers Matt To'omua and Christian Lealiifano and are keen to sign Berrick Barnes if he decides to come back to Australia from Japan.
The Rebels are looking in South Africa for a replacement for second-rower Hugh Pyle, who is leaving at the end of the season to play in France. Former All Black centre Tamati Ellison is also leaving.
Bret Harris

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Good signing, really good player and really surprising he didn't sign in NZ.

I wouldn't back him to make the Wobs once he qualifies though, we have plenty of 7s as is, but I wish him luck and he's certainly not out of place in a super rugby starting lineup.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Solid re-signing. Good guy to have in the squad considering we don't know what Colby is doing next year, he tackles all day and is a bit underrated as a link player imo. I like that he's got a bit of mongrel in him too like a good loosie should, even if it does come out in the odd yellow card.

Status
Not open for further replies.