• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Smart move. Goal is to get an AB gig, and thus a NZ super gig. Not 100% certain of a spot and is probably a bit down the 12/13 pecking order with the super sub SBW returning. He is probably enjoying his time in Melbourne and thinks we're going places.

Even if he stays, we still go hard for Lilo or To'omua. Not 100% on BB.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Perhaps a little left of field, but maybe Afusipa Taumoepeau is ready to come home from France now.

At 23 he's probably ready to give Super Rugby the shot it deserves now.

Ken Wright

Frank Row (1)
If Ellison goes, what about O'Connor, strictly as a line-breaking outside-centre? (depending on personality and team issues).

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
If Ellison goes, what about O'Connor, strictly as a line-breaking outside-centre? (depending on personality and team issues).

No way Melbourne would take him back, and his never really played 13, was bad enough he came here wanting to play 12 let alone play 13.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

James O'Connor at his Australian Super franchise interviews, complete with autobiography and pay pay packet he expects filled on an annual basis.
burnttoomanybridges.jpg

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Damn, good on them for the loyalty though. They're both (regardless of their actual origins) Canberra blooded players and it's good to see the dedication.

We should have gone balls to the wall for one instead of doing the old "one of you needs to go and we'll take whichever one is willing". Must not be too flattering.

They must have taken like 20 or 30% less than they could of been making too. Really makes the Douglases of the world look bad.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
So this is the third time Lilo has turned down an offer fr the rebels.
Time to move on methinks. Both players must have taken a significant haircut to remain under the salary cap.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So this is the third time Lilo has turned down an offer fr the rebels.
Time to move on methinks. Both players must have taken a significant haircut to remain under the salary cap.

Even if they did, some players will have to take a haircut to keep under the cap and I can't see them all staying there. White, Fardy, Alexander, Moore, Mogg would all have to be commanding bigger deals, or at least maintain.

So Barnes is still considering our offer. Perhaps he was waiting for this decision to be made. Other playmakers that we should case? Like the idea of trying to keep tamati in Melbourne.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Even if they did, some players will have to take a haircut to keep under the cap and I can't see them all staying there. White, Fardy, Alexander, Moore, Mogg would all have to be commanding bigger deals, or at least maintain.

So Barnes is still considering our offer. Perhaps he was waiting for this decision to be made. Other playmakers that we should case? Like the idea of trying to keep tamati in Melbourne.

You say this but we are losing Mowen and some others few would be getting ARU top ups and we were 140 k under the cap any way . Plus all the above mentioned guys seem like level headed blokes not money grabbing douche bags. I bet they all resign.. Specially as they have all said they want to stay.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
You say this but we are losing Mowen and some others few would be getting ARU top ups and we were 140 k under the cap any way . Plus all the above mentioned guys seem like level headed blokes not money grabbing douche bags. I bet they all resign.. Specially as they have all said they want to stay.

Difference between being money grabbers and getting paid your dues.

Some of those labs are earning enough coin others would be significantly lower

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Difference between being money grabbers and getting paid your dues.

Some of those labs are earning enough coin others would be significantly lower

Significantly lower then who ? Or what ? I seem to think while Matt To'omua wouldn't be on Quade type money he would be on a pretty good wicket. Same with all of them.. I'm wondering what's so hard understand that if managed right all those guys will stay.. Guys like Mogg and Fardy wouldn't be playing super if it weren't for the crumbles.. To'omua, Leo and Alexander are long term players.. And I m sure White paid enough to stay.. Then Smith Mowen Murphy are leaving freeing up cash to spread around.

T

Train Without a Station

Let's face it, the Brumbies won't keep everybody they want. Though as noted, people will often stay if they feel they are valued and receive a reasonable offer. Going to say , The Rebels (no offence to them specifically) and potentially propping up the bottom of the ladder for 20% more money when you are already making good money and setting yourself up for life doesn't appeal to everybody.

Remember Higginbotham's move was only after receiving a lower ARU top up than expected.

Andrew Smith and Mowen are moving on and there may be 1 or 2 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.