• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
My feeling is that there will be more than a few backs gone.

Obviously Woodward is gone, and we can probably bank on Roberts and Rokobaro being on their way out. Ellison and Sau might be as well.

So maybe one or two of Veianu, Mitchell, English, Kingston and Inman are gone as well.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i would think that its likely Veianu is going, as well as Roberts and Rokobaro, probably also Ellison, think they will re-sign Sau and the others are all contracted next year anyway

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Might be time to review and update the list, as we know it. Hack away, gents.

Confirmed
Cruze Ah-Nau, Prop
Laurie Weeks, Prop
Toby Smith, Prop
Max Lahiff, Prop
Paul Alo-Emile, Prop
Tom Sexton, Hooker
Pat Leafa, Hooker
Cadeyrn Neville, Lock
Luke Jones, Lock
Sean McMahon, Flanker
Scott Fuglistaller, Flanker
Colby Fainga'a, Flanker
Scott Higginbotham, No. 8
Lopeti Timani, No. 8
Nic Stirzaker, Scrumhalf
Luke Burgess, Scrumhalf
Jack Debreczeni, Flyhalf
Bryce Hegarty, Flyhalf
Tom English, Centre
Lachlan Mitchell, Centre
Mitch Inman, Centre
Mike Harris, Centre
Tom Kingston, Wing
Cam Crawford, Wing
Dom Shipperly, Wing
Telusa Veainu, Wing
Jonah Placid, Fullback

EPS
Ben Meehan, Scrumhalf
Jordy Reid, Flanker
Sam Jeffries, Lock
Steve Cummins, Lock

Unsure of status
Eddie Aholelei, Prop
Shota Horie, Hooker
Angus Roberts, Flyhalf
Male Sau, Centre
Lalakai Foketi, Centre
Tamati Ellison, Centre
Alex Rokobaro, Fullback

Exiting
Chris Thomson, Lock
Hugh Pyle, Lock
Jason Woodward, Fullback

D

daz

Obviously Woodward is gone, and we can probably bank on Roberts and Rokobaro being on their way out. Ellison and Sau might be as well.

So maybe one or two of Veianu, Mitchell, English, Kingston and Inman are gone as well.

Nope. He will be playing for the Rebels next year. After that? Who knows, anything is possible.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Good work Tex, looking at the list 5 backs in the unsure are gone and replaced with the 4 so far, two more to make it even. EPS is just confusing, most of those guys are signed on anyway.

Unsure of status
Eddie Aholelei, Prop (International)
Shota Horie, Hooker (International)
Angus Roberts, Flyhalf
Male Sau, Centre (International)
Lalakai Foketi, Centre
Tamati Ellison, Centre (International)
Alex Rokobaro, Fullback (International)

Just highlighting why 5 out of 7 are not mentioned. How many are we allowed next season anyway?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Based on last year's precedent I would suggest the list will be announced this Sunday. Last year they confirmed the departure after the third slaughter test against the Welsh Lions and they would want to give departing players the chance to say goodbye in front of their home crowd.

Based on what I can find on the interweb looks like Male Sau is only signed until the end of the season. Good chance he will be leaving. This from espnscrum:

Japanese international Male Sau has joined the Melbourne Rebels until the end of the season, the club confirmed on Saturday.
Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2014/rugby/story/216575.html#JRSdQTZVbwc1sBf1.99

I think Gus and Alex are on the way out too. Probably Shota, unless they make more of a play for him. Ellison has been quoted as 50/50, but I would think with the recent signings that he will be back to the long white cloud next year (via Japan).

I can only ponder what you do with Lachie and Tom. We do ahve a new glut of capable wingers. A stab at a backline would be:

9. Burgo
10. Crumbs
11. Engo/Lachie
12. Mikey Mike
13. Blue Steel Mitch (who saw that Photo n the Rebels website the other day??
14. Kingston/Vineau/Dom Dom/Lachie
15. Crawford/Placid

Bench (pick a number)
Jack D
Little Red/Benny M

Stocks looking good. Big holes up at the reds that need filling. Can you see any of our boys going north of the Tweed?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

I agree. Does this all mean Harris COULD play 10?

9. Burgeo
10. Harris
12. Inman
13. English
11. Shipperley
14. Kingston
15. Crawford
With Placid getting buckets of experience off the bench.

Also, if Sau goes, we should look at the excellent (but small) 13/wing Kotaro Matsushima (who's been in the Saffa development system), their back-up 9 Atsushi Hiwasa (who doesn't give away anything in form to Tanaka), or their captain and opensider Michael Leitch (who is without doubt one of the most natural opensiders I've ever seen).

Keep in mind our Japanese signings are a 36th man and doesn't take the spot of any hard working Aussies or any true marquee players, so taking a risk benefits everyone!

Reactions: Tex

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Huh. I've never really rated Shipperly, but he's certainly a solid Soup player. We're building a pretty damn big backline here. Big and quick. Few players to cut now though.

Are English, Mitchell, Veianu and Kingston's contracts confirmed?

Reckon there's a decent chance Harris was signed to play 10 now.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Mitchell signed till end of 2014
Kingston signed till end of 2015
Veianu signed till end of 2015
English signed till end of 2016

I didn't realise Lachlan was only on the list until the end of 2014. The rash of wing signings might indicate something around his future. I hope he stays - he's not the flashiest player but is clearly well-liked and respected around the club. A solid culture is built by guys like him.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Wouldn't be surprised if the Edinbokke are making a play for Mitchell.

Scots Eligible, and they do need to do a bit of recruiting.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Reckon that might be him done then. Good bloke by all accounts, but he's not the same level of player as the others we've got. That's excellent wing depth now. I wouldn't have a problem with any two of these five starting.

English, Kingston, Shipperly, Veianu, Crawford.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Wouldn't be surprised if the Edinbokke are making a play for Mitchell.

Scots Eligible, and they do need to do a bit of recruiting.

If I was him I'd rather go to France but publicly announce my Scottish eligibility.

He doesn't have to play in Scotland.

Status
Not open for further replies.