• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
3 Hookers (Pat, Siliva, Chibba)
6 Props (Toby, Weeks, Cruze, Metch, Hagan, Cocker)
5 Locks (LT, Jones, Rettallick, Cummins, Jeffries)
7 backrowers (Colby, Fugs, Jordy, Sean, Thompson, Leota, Fox)
3 Scrummies (Meehan, little red, Snowden)
2 fly halfs (Jack, Hawkins)
4 Centers (Hodge, Inman, Sione, Ellison)
4 Wings (Sefa, Shippers, Crawf, Engo)
2 Fullbacks (Mike, Jonah)

That's 36. Take out Tamati and Thommo, that's 34. The 2 additional ones I can see are Fereti and Moloney. Can only assume Fereti is Sa'aga. Is Moloney the boy who moved down from Brothers during the NRC to play for the Rising?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Moloney has a good NRC and I thought he performed better than Chubb, especially at the set piece when he was at THP. Always thought Duncan played his better Rugby at LHP, but didn't really have a choice after Tim Metcher screwed his hamstring.

Must say I'm excited aobu the prospects in our front-row stocks this season. Los of depth in all positions, hopefully we can keep the momentum from last season.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I guess this article helps with figuring out who is in the EPP/EPS from the Rebels squad list.

The inaugural Melbourne Rebels Emerging Players Program (EPP) has come to its conclusion for 2015, with the program already proving to be a success for up and coming Rugby talent in Victoria.
Championed by Melbourne Rebels Elite Pathway Manager Nic Henderson, the program has seen two EPP participants sign directly to the senior squad, while a further nine players will be joining the Rebels’ pre-season training program to further their development into 2016.
In March, 19 outstanding Victorian players aged 17 to 23 were invited to partake in the first iteration of the EPP, committing to three sessions a week training for six months. The program’s key focus is on the development of core and position specific skills, while also addressing each player’s strength and athleticism under the guidance of Strength and Conditioning Coach Conor Daly.
The EPP also emphasizes off-field development, with nutrition, life skills and drug education among the lessons taught throughout the year.
Henderson is thrilled to see the early success of the program, the first of its kind in Victoria.
“The EPP has helped us strengthen the pathways into professional Rugby for the best Victorian talent,” said Henderson. “The EPP compliments the existing Junior Gold Cup and Rebel’s Under 20s programs, by continuing the development of players selected from these programs, through the club season.”
Players from the EPP have also featured on the international stage throughout 2015. New Rebels Sione Tuipulotu and Rob Leota featured in the Australian U20’s and Australian Schoolboys respectively, while Melbourne Rising Prop Fereti Sa’aga also joined Tuipulotu on national duties.
Winger Ah-mu Tuimalealiifano also made his mark overseas, joining the Samoan U20’s team in the UK for the Under 20s World Cup in June.
“Each player has committed themselves completely to the program and this has led to outstanding results for each of them. It’s fantastic to see the squad members improve and grow throughout the season.”
Henderson also credited the staff involved in the program for its success, with Doctor Tracy Peters and physiotherapists Liam Robinson and Dawn Cantwell providing expert medical guidance to the squad.
“We were also lucky enough to have a great team of people working with the players over the course of the program. Tracy, Liam and Dawn worked tirelessly to keep the playing group on the paddock,” said Henderson. “Their professionalism and approach to helping these fine young men on their rugby journey cannot be under estimated”
Melbourne Rebels Elite Pathway Strength and Conditioning Coach, Conor Daly also played a significant role in the program.
“Without Conor’s experience and approach to developing the next group of future Melbourne Rebels players, many of them would not be in the position they are today. He is dedicated to the long term development of young Victorian rugby players, and we are already starting to see the benefits.”
Despite the completion of the program for 2015, Henderson, Daly and the EPP players will continue to work hard over the summer with the Rebel’s pre-season, Under 20s and Junior Gold Cup training all underway.
“We’re really looking forward to the return of the program in the new-year, and hope to develop the next batch of Victorian Rebels for 2017.”
To learn more about the Melbourne Rebels’ pathways, please visit the Elite Programs page or contact Nic Henderson via email: nic.henderson@melbournerebels.com.au
2015 Elite Players Program Squad:
Ah-mu Tuimalealiifano Harlequins
Ayden Hurst Northern
Billy Gray Power House
Fereti Sa'aga Melbourne Uni
Isi Tevi Power House
Jade Murray Moorabbin
John Sauni Endeavour Hills
Jordan Uelese Melbourne Uni
Pat Toeta Moorabbin
Phoenix Hunt Wyndham City
Potu Leavasa Endeavour Hills
RJ Sa'aga Melbourne Uni
Robert Leota Northern
Robert Valetini Harlequins
Sione Tuipulotu Southern Districts
Sunia Finefeuiaki Wyndham City
Ta Hosea Harlequins
Tom Blake Harlequins
Trevor Hosea Harlequins

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Rebels/Rising EPP should keep their eye out for Jerry Lemalu.

I believe he is still domiciled in Melbourne, but has been playing Colts Rugby in Sydney.

He is only 19ish and is the sort of fellow that would be useful to have around in Vic Club Rugby and fringe NRC.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Haven't seen these launched via the Rebels or BLK yet, but on fangear.com they are showing 2016 rebels gear:

Warmup top
Jersey

Media Polo

I am a big fan of the warmup top. Jersey appears to be no change apart from the loss of Rabodirect.

EDIT: They also have the Force gear on there: Apparently this is their 2016 jersey.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
All I want or Christmas this year is a....major sponsor please!

I'm surprised they are selling jerseys without a big naming rights logo on the front (see blksport.com). Also note we aren't he only franchise in this predicament; the Hurricanes launched the jersey recently and also was devoid of a naming rights logo.

Having said that, the jersey does look good clean...

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ looks like HorrorCanes will have Resene (paint company) on the back & they're still looking for a FOJ sponsor: their CEO was quoted in August as saying they weren't in a hurry.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Slightly more white in it. Seriously, why do we have to keep messing with the jerseys. I like the old blue jesery, but then again everyone seems to want blue.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Do the previous squad rules theoretically no longer apply to us now that we've got the private investment?

He's the 37th player signed, whereas previously we had a maximum of 36, 30 full timers, 5 EPS and a Japanese player. We've got 3 full non australian internationals in Hagan, Tamati and Thomson.

I'm not complaining or celebrating for that matter, just finding it interesting. The previous owners suggested that with the exception of the internationals situation, they'd be fully following the Aus squad rules, salary cap, etc. Are there SANZAR squad rules that need to be followed as well, beyond the players who're signed after the start of season need to play 4 games to be eligible for playoffs?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Do the previous squad rules theoretically no longer apply to us now that we've got the private investment?

He's the 37th player signed, whereas previously we had a maximum of 36, 30 full timers, 5 EPS and a Japanese player. We've got 3 full non australian internationals in Hagan, Tamati and Thomson.

I'm not complaining or celebrating for that matter, just finding it interesting. The previous owners suggested that with the exception of the internationals situation, they'd be fully following the Aus squad rules, salary cap, etc. Are there SANZAR squad rules that need to be followed as well, beyond the players who're signed after the start of season need to play 4 games to be eligible for playoffs?

Well as long as the Rebels abide by Sanzar rules their is nothing the ARU can do about it, you can't dock points so just fining the club is not a big deal if it's a successful year.

Will be interesting as the main problem I see is this could lead to is Melbourne breaking the Salary Cap that only applies to Australian franchises. I am going to assume no wage money for non Australian internationals is covered by the ARU.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Slightly more white in it. Seriously, why do we have to keep messing with the jerseys. I like the old blue jesery, but then again everyone seems to want blue.

Liked the Blue but was happy to move to White as they should have never gone Blue in the first place. Blues, Bulls, Force, Tahs and Highlanders was surely enough teams wearing blue.

Especially when you consider the Stormers and Brumbies had enough Blue in their jersey as well. It was a mistake to go Blue from the start, one that is hard to fix too.

T

TOCC

Well as long as the Rebels abide by Sanzar rules their is nothing the ARU can do about it, you can't dock points so just fining the club is not a big deal if it's a successful year.

Will be interesting as the main problem I see is this could lead to is Melbourne breaking the Salary Cap that only applies to Australian franchises. I am going to assume no wage money for non Australian internationals is covered by the ARU.

No the Melbourne Rebels are not immune and still have to follow the rules. The squad rules are an Australian issue, it's part of the RUPA CBA agreement with the ARU which the Super Rugby teams are all in compliance with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
^^^^That's while the ARU was running all 5 clubs, with private ownership and depending on funding being received by the ARU who is to say the new owners are listening to the rules.

In Super Rugby the only Rules that really matter are the ones in place by Sanzar. If the Rebels are on their own the ARU really has no power to govern their actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.