• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
The thing with the familiar names, the Rebels backs don't get the ball quick enough to actually show if they are good enough. That back line from 11-15 is not that bad. They have just been let down for 2 years by a poor 9/10 combo.

The front row and back row are than let down by the worst lock combinations in Super Rugby, if not global rugby. Cummins should not be getting a game in club first grade let alone starting every game of Super Rugby this season. If we had some locks our scrum and line out would improve (Never know, even become an attacking base) and we might be able to set an attack on the front foot.

Smith - Underrated prop, has one of the best balanced games of all Australian loose heads.

Hanson - Sturggling at the Rebels, give him some line out targets who can catch and his confidence will rise and than we can see what he can do.

Lomax - Future Wallabie or All Black, his call.

Timani - Needs to be given a position and play the whole season there, lock, 6 or 8. Just let the guy get some consistency in his performance.

McMahon - No comments required.

Mafi - Would be good to resign, but lets face it. Unless Cox gets his way with the ARU we won't be allowed to resign him.

So throw Coleman and another solid lock into the forward pack and it looks strong. Sign Genia at 9 and a solid 10 or even play McGregor. Genia could be a massive on field coach if he is as good as the hype.

Wouldn't rule Goddard out of that combo. He looked good in the U20's last night, and whilst its a big step up to Super Rugby, I reckon he could make a good fist of it. He has the relationship with McGregor already, so the combo balance should be there.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Well his to do list:

1) Is offer Laurie Fisher a nice coaching contract, 3 Years with a 2 year option.

Assistant yes, he is one of the best around and has been very successful in that role. His head coach portfolio is questionable, although to be fair I don't know the circumstances, just the results. He is coming off a bad year with Gloucester where he had a decent looking squad. Having said that I don't have a better name to put up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Wouldn't rule Goddard out of that combo. He looked good in the U20's last night, and whilst its a big step up to Super Rugby, I reckon he could make a good fist of it. He has the relationship with McGregor already, so the combo balance should be there.

Having both with out an experienced leader would be a failure. We need one experienced player in that combo. Two rookies would require 3-4 years to build. That's one thing Melbourne no longer has, time is not on our side anymore. No more excuses are going to be given after this year.

Need some good on field performances, need to win some games and attract some fans back. Playing a rookie combo in the half's and loosing matches is not going to do that.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Geoff Parling to the Rebels in 2018. Confirmed on Twitter by Payto.

Reactions: daz

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Geoff Parling to the Rebels in 2018. Confirmed on Twitter by Payto.

Not the worst choice. Experience and played at international level.

Now for one more and some halfs.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
A good signing - I think we get a Dom Day level player on the field, with far more experience and clout off it. What we need now is to surround him with high potential young locks that can sponge knowledge.

Next year (if we continue on) we'll have Trevor Hosea (17), Esei Ha'angana (18), Toolis (25), Jeffries (25), and maybe 1-2 Western Force locks (though I know people don't like to discuss this).

All in all, a good age/experience mix and big step up in talent at lock.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
This has made my day.

Was an absolute star in the Prem final and a name like him might attract a few to potentially stay or come this way.

Next person it wouldn't surprise me see linked to the Rebels might be Halfpenny. He's stated he wants to play super rugby, been basically released by Toulon...... who knows???? I don't overly rate his outfield play but is a great goal kicker and would add great balance to our back 3 stocks. No rumors or links associated to this, i just have a slight gut feel. Biggest sticking point would be wages and his eligibility for Wales with 2019 around the corner.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
^^^If we signed Halfpenny, I would be going with my theory that Cox got his way with the ARU and sign who even he wants.

But I doubt we would see the gains, he would return to Wales for the 6 nations ruling him out of 8 weeks of the season.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Wales don't have any problems selecting overseas players.

Which would see Halfpenny (or any other regular Welsh, Scot or Italian International) miss the first 4? weeks of Super Rugby with 6 Nations duties.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
This has made my day.

Was an absolute star in the Prem final and a name like him might attract a few to potentially stay or come this way.

Next person it wouldn't surprise me see linked to the Rebels might be Halfpenny. He's stated he wants to play super rugby, been basically released by Toulon.. who knows???? I don't overly rate his outfield play but is a great goal kicker and would add great balance to our back 3 stocks. No rumors or links associated to this, i just have a slight gut feel. Biggest sticking point would be wages and his eligibility for Wales with 2019 around the corner.

If the Rebels sign another back 3 player, with all they have on the books and with the likely signing of Hutchison, they deserve a swift kick to the head.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
If the Rebels sign another back 3 player, with all they have on the books and with the likely signing of Hutchison, they deserve a swift kick to the head.

Come on now, if we sign Higgers so the Reds can sign Genia I would not complain. Also depends on who we resign.

Highlander (Contract man) is Sean contracted with the Rebels next year but not the ARU? I heard the Japan deal is not for next season but the year after. Source is good.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I just follow the press releases, and the last one I saw was a 1 year extension in 2015, after re-signing for the '15 & '16 seasons after his breakout year.

Literally no inside info whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

Agreed, the only reason i'd accept another back 3 player would be if he was a super boot as our kicking is the worst in the comp, followed by the other Aus teams and the Hurricanes.

Best placed Scenario now would be Jeffires and Toolis to be fit for the NRC so they both get some good level rugby under their belts.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
^^^If we signed Halfpenny, I would be going with my theory that Cox got his way with the ARU and sign who even he wants.

But I doubt we would see the gains, he would return to Wales for the 6 nations ruling him out of 8 weeks of the season.

If we do survive I reckon we would also get concessions like overseas signings etc so the ARU don't have to pay Cox for damages from this year.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
If we do survive I reckon we would also get concessions like overseas signings etc so the ARU don't have to pay Cox for damages from this year.

I hope so, something like any foreign player has to be paid outside of the ARU salary cap. We can use there money on Aussie stars and allow Cox to spend his money on who ever he wants.

Than make a play for Carter on a 1 or 2 year deal, his not getting along with the owner of Racing and would be the Marquee player Melbourne needs to get all those Kiwis through the gates week in week out. Pretty sure sponsors would be lining up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.