• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Not sure if you blokes are already all over this but it seems Debreczini is off to Japan. Not sure if it's permanent or a between seasons thing.

Rich Freeman@FreemanrugbyJPN 3h3 hours ago
#Honda Heat announced this week that birthday boy Jack Debreczini will join club for the 2017-18 Top Challenge League (2nd division) season.
No, but wouldn't surprise me. For all the talk of players we are signing, we will no doubt be losing players too. Not sure how I feel. JD showed so much promise then not much. Can't help thinking that with some good coaching he could do well, or at least better.

D

daz

I hope so, something like any foreign player has to be paid outside of the ARU salary cap. We can use there money on Aussie stars and allow Cox to spend his money on who ever he wants.

And that is really the crux of the current argument: Are the Oz Super Rugby clubs feeders for the Wallabies, or individual clubs trying to succeed in Super Rugby?

If we exist simply to develop Wallabies, then fine. Centralise all rugby ops and have a "one size fits all" approach to coaching and player recruitment.

If we are in the business of winning Super Rugby games, as a stand alone business (which we fucking are - I refer you to the name on the Rebels Super Rugby licence), then we should recruit whomever we see fit to win us games and championships. Wallaby selection for Rebels-based Oz players would be a bonus.

If we become the Toulon of Super Rugby, with 90% imported players and a few locals thrown in for good measure, and we win titles consistently, then I say quite happily - Bring it on.

Of course, the flip side is we have 90% imported players and win nothing. That would kinda suck. :p

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
And that is really the crux of the current argument: Are the Oz Super Rugby clubs feeders for the Wallabies, or individual clubs trying to succeed in Super Rugby?

If we exist simply to develop Wallabies, then fine. Centralise all rugby ops and have a "one size fits all" approach to coaching and player recruitment.

If we are in the business of winning Super Rugby games, as a stand alone business (which we fucking are - I refer you to the name on the Rebels Super Rugby licence), then we should recruit whomever we see fit to win us games and championships. Wallaby selection for Rebels-based Oz players would be a bonus.

If we become the Toulon of Super Rugby, with 90% imported players and a few locals thrown in for good measure, and we win titles consistently, then I say quite happily - Bring it on.

Of course, the flip side is we have 90% imported players and win nothing. That would kinda suck. :p

I agree, just look at Toulon... do the French fans care that they have (or had, rather) Drew and Gits etc running around winning titles? Of course not - they love watching a winning team! Personally I don't mind how many imports we have so long as they buy into the club culture and embrace Melbourne. Not so much a team of Melburnians, but a team FOR Melbourne. And a winning team too, yes please.

Reactions: daz
D

daz

No, but wouldn't surprise me. For all the talk of players we are signing, we will no doubt be losing players too. Not sure how I feel. JD showed so much promise then not much. Can't help thinking that with some good coaching he could do well, or at least better.

Gotta say, my friend, that like several quite a few players in our squad, JD may have simply reached the limits of his abilities.

I'm not saying our coaching is great at the moment, or that a different coach could not wring another ounce of talent of these guys, but I do suspect we have a few guys with more promise than ability.

D

daz

So who do we know for sure is out after this season? I'm not talking about guys that are just off-contract; I am talking about players who have actually signed elsewhere or who have stated publicly they are goneski.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I am actually a little gutted about Jack Deb, always been a big fan and i dare say the most talented Aussie 10 outside of Foley and Cooper going around. It's no coincidence that with him at 10 our record in considerably better. He has all the attributes to be a wallaby but the top 2 inches and the drive to be the best appears to be his biggest enemy.

I'd rather lose him to the Brumbies if he were to go to another Super side as i think they'd put some serious rugby smarts into him.

It's got me a little worried about 10 for next season (that's if hes leaving), as with Deb in the line up we can beat 75% of the teams going around on any given day, without him at 10 it leaves us with JGB and Volavola need i say more.

Correct me if i am wrong but i think his record this year at 10 is 1 win 1 draw 1 loss.

The others 10 losses

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I am actually a little gutted about Jack Deb, always been a big fan and i dare say the most talented Aussie 10 outside of Foley and Cooper going around. It's no coincidence that with him at 10 our record in considerably better. He has all the attributes to be a wallaby but the top 2 inches and the drive to be the best appears to be his biggest enemy.

I'd rather lose him to the Brumbies if he were to go to another Super side as i think they'd put some serious rugby smarts into him.

It's got me a little worried about 10 for next season (that's if hes leaving), as with Deb in the line up we can beat 75% of the teams going around on any given day, without him at 10 it leaves us with JGB and Volavola need i say more.

Correct me if i am wrong but i think his record this year at 10 is 1 win 1 draw 1 loss.

The others 10 losses

I'll go with KevinO on this one...

get-carter-original-film-poster-20ba52c3af9494e615a54cbd2c1fc00a-large-119994.jpg

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
New coach required. Totality Tony has reached the totality of what he has to offer. The totality of his time with the Rebels has been disappointing in its totality.

I would love to offer suggestions but we need to offload Styles and quality coaches are rare as rocking horse shit in Australia.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)

The others 10 losses

I think he has been appalingly managed. Guaranteed to be the 10 in 2015 pre-season when he had only a handful of caps to his name, leaving Hegarty in no-mans land.

Hyped after a good 2014 NRC, 2015 Super Rugby, 2015 NRC as the heir apparent in the Wallabies alongside Stirzy.

Poor 2016, dropped out of planned starting XV this year and only played because of early injuries. Tony went into this year planning to have JGB as his 10.

I think he has something special with his kicking and ability to take the ball into contact, and I hope he isn't lost to Australian Rugby.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

100% agree Daz.

The ARU are trying to do half way between the two models which is clearly not working to either develop Wallabies or win Super Rugby games.

If we are going to do the latter, then they seriously need to address the salary cap/top up issue. If the former, then we can save a lot of money by centralizing everything but, of course, we have one of the teams which is privately owned.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interesting - http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/06/06/04/16/reds-dump-simmons-houston

I know people like to shit on him, but a Simmons with a chip on his shoulder wouldn't be the worst pick-up on a 1-2 year contract. Particularly with market pressures driving his value down (if the Force get cut, there's a number of locks worth looking at).

Still, looks like we have 5 locks on the books for next year already, plus whatever the team cull turns up from the Force (should we be the lucky ones). This is unless the Rebels have really embraced the Ha'angana to #6 decision.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Interesting - http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/06/06/04/16/reds-dump-simmons-houston

I know people like to shit on him, but a Simmons with a chip on his shoulder wouldn't be the worst pick-up on a 1-2 year contract. Particularly with market pressures driving his value down (if the Force get cut, there's a number of locks worth looking at).

Still, looks like we have 5 locks on the books for next year already, plus whatever the team cull turns up from the Force (should we be the lucky ones). This is unless the Rebels have really embraced the Ha'angana to #6 decision.

Interesting times.

And where's Neville? I'm assuming he's got a long-term injury, but there's no mention of him.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

No thanks

Would rather Neville. But like all players if he came here, i'd support him. Also for the money he's on, would rather try get Jones back from France. We are still hurting from that

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
And where's Neville? I'm assuming he's got a long-term injury, but there's no mention of him.

We all have/have had careers, can we really see Neville coming back to the Rebels? They moved on from him. Professionally, that's a huge ego hit.

It's not like he's got family here to coax him back.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
No thanks

Would rather Neville. But like all players if he came here, i'd support him. Also for the money he's on, would rather try get Jones back from France. We are still hurting from that

Simmons is a better player than Neville.

And, like I said, with the potentially culling of a team featuring Australia's best lock, and 2-3 promising ones, the supply could be high next year. Could pick-up Simmons for a steal on a 1-year deal while he waits to see if market behaviours change the following year.

The biggest need for Simmons is in NSW though - along with 1-2 other decent locks.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
We all have/have had careers, can we really see Neville coming back to the Rebels? They moved on from him. Professionally, that's a huge ego hit.

It's not like he's got family here to coax him back.

I never said I wanted Neville to come back - I just haven't heard anything of him for ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.