• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
the website works fine for me.

Yeh, does now. Apparently, there was a mass outage of sites hosted on Microsoft Azure. From what I heard, the load balances got corrupted and stuffed up the ability for everyone to view them. All fixed now.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
We've certainly got some firepower in the backrow now:
Cottrell
Hardwick
Isi
Jonesy
Rob Leota

Am I missing someone? With Colby and Jordy went, we've probably freed up some cash, but jeez that salary cap would be tight.

I'm seeing his ideal position as 6/8, but probably more of a 6. Cottrell may fight it out for 7 with Hardwick. Leota for the number 8 spot.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Cottrell
Hardwick
Isi
Jonesy
Rob Leota

Am I missing someone? With Colby and Jordy went, we've probably freed up some cash, but jeez that salary cap would be tight.

I'm seeing his ideal position as 6/8, but probably more of a 6. Cottrell may fight it out for 7 with Hardwick. Leota for the number 8 spot.
What has Jones been playing mainly at Bordeaux?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Dunno. Could be lock or backrow.
You ahve a look at our Locks, and we're fairly stocked there. Coleman and Philip probably the first pick. We do ahve big red, trev Hosea and Haainga'aavailablee too.

I'm thinking cheika wants backrow options, so he's probably brought him back as 6/8 cover.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Cottrell
Hardwick
Isi
Jonesy
Rob Leota

Yep. For Jones to be aiming at a World Cup, which is his stated aim, backrow is where he needs to play. 6 with an option at 5 (or maybe bench 8).

Rebels, though, need to put more money into the front row. Backrow is more than covered.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
A creative back would be good as well!

Yep. For Jones to be aiming at a World Cup, which is his stated aim, backrow is where he needs to play. 6 with an option at 5 (or maybe bench 8).

Rebels, though, need to put more money into the front row. Backrow is more than covered.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
A creative back would be good as well!

Everyone wants that!

They're hard to get … but if the Rebels pay Laura Dundovic a pile of cash to move to Melbs it might entice Quade.

The Reds will bite your hand off, and Bingo! You've got "creative".

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Cottrell
Hardwick
Isi
Jonesy
Rob Leota

Strange OzT. Would Leota really take the No 8 spot over Naisarani, who nearly everybody who's watched him over the past two seasons sees as a very good chance of being the Wallaby No 8? Cottrell surely would only be considered for No 7 if the role was changed quite fundamentally. As a position that mostly is required to attack the ball at the breakdown, and cover defend I think Hardwick is eminently more suitable.

That's not a criticism of Gus, as I think he's been the form No 6 in the Aus super teams this year and have often raised his name in connection with possible Wallaby selection, but as a No 6.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Strange OzT. Would Leota really take the No 8 spot over Naisarani, who nearly everybody who's watched him over the past two seasons sees as a very good chance of being the Wallaby No 8? Cottrell surely would only be considered for No 7 if the role was changed quite fundamentally. As a position that mostly is required to attack the ball at the breakdown, and cover defend I think Hardwick is eminently more suitable.

That's not a criticism of Gus, as I think he's been the form No 6 in the Aus super teams this year and has often raised his name in connection with possible Wallaby selection, but as a No 6.

No, I don't think Rob would take the role from Isi. I was just listing out players and their preferred positions. In the unfortunate event Isi got injured, Rub would be with a chance to play at 8, provided he remains injury-free too.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Big Sam has signed for a top league team. No idea if this means he’s still at rebels or not.
Definitely our best scrummaging TH gone

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Suntory.

Now, my Japanese is fairly rough, but it's not clear if he's gone for good. The press release is fairly cookie cutter.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I suspect it’s short term. These deals are a financial win for the Rebels as it means they don’t have to pay salaries during this time. So they are saving bucks on Talakai, RHP and Jeffries.

Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.