• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Interesting tidbit from the Rebels article:
With the emergence of young talent like Semisi Tupou and Sione Tuipulotu, the retention in Melbourne of Marika Koroibete, Jack Maddocks, Dane Haylett-Petty, Tom English and the recruitment of young sensation Campbell Magnay, Stephenson confirmed the Rebels only approved the requested release because of confidence in their succession plan of outside backs.

For those who thought Sione might be heading O/S for good, this confirms for me that he's most likely sticking around.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Interesting tidbit from the Rebels article:

For those who thought Sione might be heading O/S for good, this confirms for me that he's most likely sticking around.

If given the opportuniy, Sione could genuinely be the best centre at the Rebels in 18-24 months time.

In 3-4 years could easily have

9. Goddard
11. Hodge
12. Tuipulotu
13. Magnay
14. Tupou
15. Maddocks

Add an all Melbourne bred front row of

1. Sa'aga
2. Uelese
3. Pone

We might be finally pulling our weight with local or players brought in young and developed talent.

Once again, as is the issue with every Aus team (minus the Reds), there is no clear standout either currently at the club or emerging thats a potential 10 solution.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
^^^Disagree, I would have a in form Sefa ahead of Koroibete any day of the week. Yes, his had his fair share of injuries but his been awesome when fit and so dangerous in a little bit of space.

Also confirmed on Rebels twitter just now.
In form yes, but his form last year was very poor. I am happy for him and hope that this restores him back to his best. I don't put the rebels ahead of Australia rugby as a whole. That sort of provincial attitude is what has led Aus rugby down the toilet.

I may have some temporary regrets if he burns us with several tries this season, but I will be happy for him personally as watching him in full flight was a great pleasure that was sorely missed last year.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Tards would have utilized Sefa better, Reds always kills fijian talents...toua, nabuli, daugunu, tela, higginbotham, sorovi, kuridrani, all players of fijian descent who have their talents soaked out of them at reds, kerevi is already on the down too..

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
His grandmother is Fijian..we could cap him with the 7's loophole lol as we desperately need a fullback..

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Getting great outside talent if wonderful, but not if you don't have tactical nous to employ them effectively. I think we still need a solid, experienced campaigner in a position of tactical decision making to be a foil for the young and relatively inexperienced DP and Stewart.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Getting great outside talent if wonderful, but not if you don't have tactical nous to employ them effectively. I think we still need a solid, experienced campaigner in a position of tactical decision making to be a foil for the young and relatively inexperienced DP and Stewart.

Seems to me we have steadfastly determined NOT to do that and head “in a different direction”. Fortunately there are some sensible coaching additions to provide the sort of guidance that will at least tactical decision making may not atrophy as a result of changing direction.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Tards would have utilized Sefa better, Reds always kills fijian talents.toua, nabuli, daugunu, tela, higginbotham, sorovi, kuridrani, all players of fijian descent who have their talents soaked out of them at reds, kerevi is already on the down too..
How did reds kill higgers talent? Boy thrived there. Should still be in the wobblies

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Bloody shame about Sefa, but it was also criminal to have a man of his talents on the bench. Hope he absolutely kills it up north and maybe returns in a couple years, good luck to him.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
would have kept Sefa over Magnay any day of the week.
edit: also i wonder how much the request was from Sefa and how much was intolerable pressure from Cheika and RA to force him into it.

Morgs indicated in a tweet that RA didn't push for the transfer.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
My understanding was that he wanted to put his best foot forward for the WC. Only starting 6/7 games a year and a few appearances off the bench for 20mins isn't going to do himself or the teams he plays for (Reds/Rebels/Wallabies) any favours.

There is a few others at the franchises i am surprised haven't tried to move out of similar situations

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Morgs indicated in a tweet that RA didn't push for the transfer.

i honestly don't believe the words of people that can't spell :/

we all know Chieka wanted Sefa to play elsewhere as he is also infatuated with Maddocks and he knows the starting back 3 for rebels will be marika, DHP and Jack so wants Sefa to play for another club so he is also a regular.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
i honestly don't believe the words of people that can't spell :/

we all know Chieka wanted Sefa to play elsewhere as he is also infatuated with Maddocks and he knows the starting back 3 for rebels will be marika, DHP and Jack so wants Sefa to play for another club so he is also a regular.

So how do you feel about grammar?

Status
Not open for further replies.