• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Brumbies Super Rugby 2015 Rnd 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The one thing the Brumbies can be happy about is they've only conceded one try in three games............

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wasn't his best. As a Brumbies fan I'm hoping we miss him for the rest of the season. And being unbiased how the fuck do you miss the knock on for Butlers 2nd try. He was less than a metre away with clear view. The guy is useless. Maybe even Ayoub would do a better job. Sorry joking I've seen his form in Sydney grade!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Brumbies deserved the win based on overall play throughout the 80 minutes.

But the entirety of the overtime was extremely frustrating, given we should have been marched forward twice, and it would have been nice to see our scrum ascendancy awarded more often.

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
No, it came down to the Rebels not scoring more points. With the amount of possession the Rebels had they should absolutely slaughtered them.

Possession is like saying your missus doesn't look at other guys. Unless you take care of business you can have her in the house all day, but you ain't getting any.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It certainly wasn't a pretty game and well done for those who turned up. The handling was terrible and when the rain hit it made it worse.

It could have gone either way and a shame the best play of the game was after the full time siren and if the Rebels were a little more composed they could have snatched it.

The Brumbies rolling maul is still doing the business for them but needs a few tweaks to it and the Rebels were smart at times to disrupt. The try to Butler was good and he bagged a few in the NRC and a real highlight of his game.

Higgers can consider himself very unlucky for the yellow card. I think his decision in the 2nd half to not go for 3 that was ultimately dropped will be one he wished he could have over again. \

A week off will do them good and I think in the near future Melbourne will be a very tough place to play.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Ponies looked rather mechanical tonight but the weather conditions would not have helped.

Rebels need to believe in themselves more, and have faith that their structures will build pressure and create the spaces needed to crack open defences provided that can hold on to the pill and not push things looking for the early miracle play.

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
If I was a rebel fans bigger picture lot to like..new combinations etc but they are very much competitive and real challenge for any team playing them..

If can keep current key players and continue to recruit quality players like they have this season I reckon next season they can win the comp..

No not on drugs but serious as really professional outfit in way rebels running their rugby over last few seasons and using new NRC to their advantage to build depth and capability..lot of other franchises could learn from them..

Agree totally with everything other than winning the competition. their development only other sides can dream of.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Stationary. TK was _on front_ of the pass, look at the replay, fairly east call.

It was an easy call, and they got it right.............

And sitting here with all of my broadcast quality equipment watching it back on all the angles I can concur.......................

The ball has gone backwards out of Butler's hands.............. The pass was fine.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That was not a high quality game. Hats off to the Rebels though. They have had a difficult draw to deal with, and they've been competitive in all three games.

Squeaky Moore said the Brumbies went there to win, and they did achieve that after a run of losses away from home. So, objective attained and monkey off the back hopefully.

Where the Brumbies didn't look so good - under the high ball again! Chasing high kicks looks half-hearted as though they don't intend to compete but be ready to attack the kick receiver before he can get going. Ok if it works but they have been missing some of those first up tackles and letting the opposition make good ground on the kick return. And an almost total disinclination to run the ball back when kicked through by the opposition.

Their dedication to exerting scrum dominance is also overdone. They need just to concentrate on getting quick ball out to their backline more often. Great to get dominance in the first 20 - 30 minutes, but after that, especially in the second half, more attention should be given to working some attacking magic. And, horror of horrors, I noticed Matt To'omua running across field. Admittedly, looked like a set play, but didn't look good at all.

More and more impressed with Arnold, Butler and Vaea. All coming along very nicely.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
While it's always a privilage to watch the magical Brumbies playing magical rugby, I suspect they'll be thanking the deity of their choice tonight for their fortune in drawing Steve Walsh.

Brumbies defence was too good tonight for the Rebels who need to do something about their midfield. Lineout a farce, again, and maul defence ragged at best.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
although Walsh didn't help matters, the Rebs once again the manufacturers of their own demise, 4 attacking lineout throws not straight, three or four terrible passes that stopped momentum and on two occasions probable cost tries.
i also can't understand why you penalise the attacking scrum going forward !

i did like the fact we stopped kicking for much of the game and ran the ball back at them

Status
Not open for further replies.