• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Waratahs Round 2 - 2012R02 - Dunlop Shield III

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well I wasn't happy with that performance at all, we need to lift considerably to beat the Highlanders next week in Dunedin. Discipline was shocking and once again having trouble to finish off breaks.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tom Carter "What happens on the field stays on the field" lol.

Overall I thought the Tahs started very well but dropped off in intensity & made a lot more errors (or seemed to). Scrum didnt seem as good in this game.

Rebels got on better in the second half, defence was found out a bit but they didnt do too bad as the game got older. Happy to give them some slack as they had the bye first round.

Not a bad game.

S

spooony

Question: Why was Johan Goosen sent off without the option of a warning first?

At the start of season, referees had meetings with the coaches at different levels (Super 15, Vodacom Cup, Varsity Cup, etc) . Here they communicated the key focus areas that will be given priority in their matches. One of these key priorities was the tackle. Great emphasis was put on the tackler that needs to release and roll away immediately.

In the case of the game between the Lions and Cheetahs this weekend, the Cheetahs had already infringed at numerous tackles, and a general warning had been given to Adrian Strauss, the captain.

Furthermore, the Lions had broken the defensive line of the Cheetahs and the tackler, Johan Goosen, realised that a quick ball for the Lions could mean a try, seven points. Therefore he made no effort to roll away, in the hope of slowing the ball down so that his team could re-organise their defensive structure. This is a cynical infringement or professional foul (rather concede the penalty than the try)

This means that there were two reasons for his yellow card.: (1) The general warning to the team for repeated infringements at the tackle and (2) for cynical infringement for slowing the ball down.
http://www.sareferees.co.za/news/ref_news/2851804.htm

So if another guy in the teams gets a warning it is a warning basically for the whole team. Does not matter if someone else was warned.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Tahs by 25+. Anything less will be an abject humiliation.

Moral victory to the Rebels then.

Seriously though, congrats 'Tahs. Limited, but brutally effective. Good to see Palu running around properly again, Timani Jr. looks class as does Foley.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Nope. Usually a card is handed out with a penalty try.
The ref is perfectly entitled to give a yellow after a penalty try if they deem it fit.
To say they usually do that seems a stretch. Most penalty tries seem to come from scrum infringements, and my impression is that a yellow card is the exception rather than the norm.
No problem with the decision today, if he felt TPN collapsed the maul at that point. I have some doubts as to whether he was the worst offender there - others seemed to be offside where he seemed to come from the back and took down the subsequently isolated man. It was certainly a penalty try, I feel, but not definitely worthy of yellow in retrospect.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Actually, the IRB laws state that if a player causes an offense that leads to a penalty try they must be "temporarily suspended" or sent off.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Should we be worried about the size of the crowd tonight, just over 16k, is that good enough for the first game of the season for the Rebels?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Should we be worried about the size of the crowd tonight, just over 16k, is that good enough for the first game of the season for the Rebels?
It was only against the Tahs, I'm not too worried.

Wasn't a great night for it in fairness, there was a nasty wind, bit chilly... not that many people out and about. It wasn't particularly heavily promoted either.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Actually, the IRB laws state that if a player causes an offense that leads to a penalty try they must be "temporarily suspended" or sent off.
Really? I was not aware of that.
I sit corrected. Wonder why it happens only sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.