• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Waratahs Round 2 - 2012R02 - Dunlop Shield III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Really? I was not aware of that.
I sit corrected. Wonder why it happens only sometimes.

I think they tend not to be handed out during scrum related penalty tries, and it's probably because the ref is clueless as to who to give it to...

Although it does happen ala Baxter...

But they have to be given if a player is responsible for a penalty try...

I'm still fuming at Walshs decision to award a penalty try to the Stormers against the Brumbies a few years back after a player chasing a kick fell over and Walsh incorrectly ruled Lilo had taken out the player and because of that was carded...

It pretty much ruined the match...

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Ugh no it's quite the opposite, a card and penalty try is way over the top. Either a card or penalty try is usually how it's done. The double is pretty harsh.

Nope, I don't think I'm wrong here. A referee would get in trouble if they awarded a penalty try and didn't give a card with it. Also, cases where a ref gives a penalty try but no card are an extreme minority.

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
Solid performance by the Waratahs. They absorbed some spirited endeavour from the Rebels in the first half, then controlled proceedings to run in some good tries albeit with the help of some ordinary Rebels defence.

Had hoped the Rebels would provide a stern test for the Waratahs for the full 80 minutes - so it was a let down when the Rebels were so hot and cold in the first half.

Enjoyed the closer contest in the second half, though the Rebels lacked the strike power to seriously trouble the Tahs. Encouraging play by the Rebels in the lead up to the penalty try

But....
after three meetings with the Tahs, they are yet to actually get the ball over the Tahs try line

U

Utility Back

Thought the rebs showed alot of spirit tonight, what they lacked was that consistent team accuracy and patience that Waratahs have, and had last week against the reds.

The warathas always appear to have so much potential at the start of the year and then it always appears to die off somehow.
Halangahu had a blinder, and Tommy Carter definitely had a cracker too, Pretorius reminds me quite a bit of burgess as in a dangerous as fark runner, and shit house pass. Heres hoping they can keep it going this year and we have a All aussie final to shut up any the whinging saffas about our apparently shit conference (but thats another argument)

From the Rebs, thought Jones, Pyle, and Gerrad were massive. BrandO, Vuna also had solid games.

In all it was a pretty bloody good game to watch, both teams had a fucking good crack.

U

Utility Back

Actually, can i say i was a bit confused with the rebs choice to go for something like 3 penalty (maybe it was 2?) goals when a mile behind? Maybe its me and my half a dozen beers, but i would have thought (if it was my team) A. We are way to far behind to catch up via penalties, and/or B. We are a young team that scored fuck all try's last year, we should learn how to score some.

U

Utility Back

You actually is a point in that qwerts...but hopefully you might understand what i meant.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Tom Carter.......

Don't like to say told you so, so Tom did it for me.

To the rest of the Tahs fans that got a "funny feeling about this game" man up already. Tahs are good.

Was horrible as a Tahs fan to hear the Rebs fans boo there own team on a couple of occasions, lucky for them no one will make a big deal out of it.

D

daz

Whatever was in the gatorade over the summer break has been working. I see many tackles in the 2012 futures of Cips and Vuna.....

Ah, you see what happened there? My mistake. Apparantly whatever is in the gatorade does not last past the end of summer....

Cips, you muppet. Tackling, awful. Kicking for touch, non-existant.

I bet the lads at Sale are just thrilled....

Still, Vuna was good.

D

daz

Anyhoo, normal service resumed. I am sure the Tahs would be happy with the 5 points, but it was a bit scrappy and non-convincing.

The scrums went well for the Tahs but the Rebs did not do as bad as I (and many others) thought.

Delve and Inman should be the poster boys for tackling at the Rebs. Defense over-all was bad, bad, bad.

I actually thing the Rebs are not a total basketcase but they suffer from huge lapses in concentration and structure on the backfoot. Byrnes is a waste of space, btw. Seriously.

Love to see JOC (James O'Connor) and Inman getting good ball; there could be some magic happen, and I remain convinced Inman is the real deal. Jones was ok too.

And as for the Tahs, well done. Very pleased for Cliffy and Foley. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was solid all night, as was Pretorious.

And hats off to Tom Carter. The niggle master was on full show and he backed it up. Good stuff.

D

daz

Tom Carter.......

Was horrible as a Tahs fan to hear the Rebs fans boo there own team on a couple of occasions, lucky for them no one will make a big deal out of it.

I think you will find this was when JOC (James O'Connor) went for goal on two occasions and the crowd was as frustrated as a recovering alcoholic at Ocktoberfest.

20 points down with 20 mins to go and they go for goals? Really? Kick to the corner and back yourself/have a go. The Rebs didn't try to win; they simply tried not to get flogged.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Blues did it as well, I thought they were going for losing bps but they both had to score at least once to get that, very odd decisions.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
opinions on Luke Jones? personally though he had a great game and im hoping the Rebels will use him more this year, also still cant get my head around the rebels shots at goal in the 2nd half o_O

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Adam Byrnes has been cited for eye gouging (on Carter I assume). That is a total surprise and out of character!

S

spooony

They lost 28 - 9 last year. So yes there was a 3 point improvement

M

Moono75

Fuck I wish Pretorius was playing for us. Perth's so much closer to SA than Sydney, fly the family over for the weekend..its all good.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought the Tahs were OK until they emptied their bench and lost shape in the second half.

Jenkins, Ryan and Timani were a down grade and either gave away too many penalties and/or didn't have the same level of impact as the units they replaced.

We will be better with proper lock coverage from Vickerman and Sitaleki Timani, McCutcheon back and maybe Elsom as well, all of a sudden the reserves will make real impact and increase the intensity.

On the bright side, Also Douglas continues to move rucks, but he can't do it for the 80 yet at the intensity we need, Foley looks at home at 15, he gives that spark and second playmaker options we need.

Carter's first try was a "Randwick/ Gaffney" type special, good movement off the ball made the defenders hesitant and Carter's line was just right.

We also badly need to work on the support lines after the break and the ball carrier to open his eyes and move the ball to the support carrier in space.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was very good as expected on the wing, safe under the high ball, runs nice lines, but I wish he would look for support earlier

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'm not sold on Adam Ashley-Cooper being shunted all over the place. His game suffered at the Brumbies because of that and ultimately his World Cup wasn't as good as it could have been.

His talents are wasted on the wing and I thought he was signed as a direct replacement for Kurtley Beale? I know he's having a tough time with the breakdown of his relationship, which was a major factor in him going to Sydney. I just hope he's able to rise above it and get back to where he once was because watching him go into contact with the ball recently has seen him look very tentative and has been getting knocked backwards at a rate of knots.

On the game itself, the Rebels seemed to come out of the blocks a million miles an hour but then they looked like a sprinter realising it was a marathon. J O'C didn't seem to get into the match and was feeling his way into the game and I was surprised he was hooked. I thought he was touted as a leader so bringing him off was a poor decision.

The tackling has improved but that's comparing it to last year when it was truly awful. The same culprits at fault in key areas on the field.

The Waratahs seemed to learn their mistakes from last week and were good in everything they did. Some of their players may need to control that aggression especially L Timani being told by Lawrence 'you've just come on, and you can go straight off' after swinging a leg at Adam Byrnes on the ground.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Some of the options taken by the Rebels were interesting. I dont see a big problem with them going for goal. What concerned me was the decision making in general play. An example of this would be the kick by Phipps when the Rebels were gaining momentum. Straight to a Tah and away they went.

Status
Not open for further replies.