• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Unfortunately I'm in Melbourne this coming weekend so miss the Reds vs Bulls game. Pretty devo about as the game last year at Suncorp was probably the match of the season. Anyone who was there will agree with me.

Now you will know what it is like being me and supporting the Reds and living in Melbourne. I lived in Brisbane for 10 years and miss the rugby coverage. At least this year I have been able to go to some Rebels game for live Super Rugby.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I am very keen to get a copy of the Bulls v Reds game from last year, if anyone has a copy and wants to sell a copy to me I would really appreciate it.

The game was that good that if I ever have kids and they start thinking that league is a good game I will pull out the DVD and fix them up for life. It is the best game I have ever seen!

A great game indeed. Try and get a hold of Qld v Auckland 1996 Ballymore - best Qld performance I've seen esp. against the eventual S12 winners and a virtual All Black side.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
One game I'd like to see again is the classic Auckland v Wellington match in the early days of Super 10/12 in the '90s...score was like 40 to 37 to the Blues...commentators were raving on about it being the best match they had ever seen! Players were hammering still to each other towards the end...I remember Mark Allen the prop being captain of the Wellington Lions then.

Anyone remember that match in question?

T

tranquility

redsposter.jpg

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
Turns out the forever Red memberships are useless when trying to book platinum tickets.

Really? Where did you get put? I have sat in Platinums and they were on around the 20, about 8 rows back. The tickets were a present so I didn't actually buy them with my membership.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It seems to be the one thing that the Reds have messed up this year, the forever Red membership. It is as though they thought people would buy it and never use it for the cheap tickets.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Ruggo; you mean you can't get the discount?

Yeah Ash. I just purchased tickets for the Brumbies game and quoted my member number and was told the discount does not apply to platinum, only gold tickets. Managed to get good seats though. As a fan I don't mind but the reality is that I am also a consumer and would of appreciated more clarity from the QRU when they promoted the membership.

CB I booked over the phone so I could pick my seats. Row six, section 323.

T

TOCC

Reds are sitting at 14'500 members, closing in on that 15'000 target.. if they win this week they will break that target

I predicted they would only get 14'000 back in Febuary, however that was prior to the Reds introducing the 3 game membership pack.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Would not mind seeing some noticeable rotation for next weeks game. The Reds have just come through a very challenging three game bloc, and a few of those frontline players could do with a bit of a breather. Also gives the reserve players much needed game time should injuries become an issue later in the season.

It is only half way through the season and the way in which squads are managed from hereon in will play a large part at the pointy end of the season. The Blues and Crusaders are doing it well at the moment.

Back to the Reds and next week, I wouldn't mind seeing Gill start, Lucas have half a game at halfback, and have a fresh Schatz or Quirk start the game. It would also be good at some point in time, maybe not next week, to give Harris some decent game time at 10.

T

TOCC

Yeah starting Gill might be a idea, although it was noticeable when he come on last night that he gets knocked about a bit more then the likes of Robinson..

halfback is a hard position for the Reds, i dont think moving Lucas to 9 to give Genia a break is the right move, Lucas is developing into a quite safe fullback in his own right, just needs consistent game time there.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
halfback is a hard position for the Reds, i dont think moving Lucas to 9 to give Genia a break is the right move, Lucas is developing into a quite safe fullback in his own right, just needs consistent game time there.

Davies looked pretty stiff last night as he was walking along the side line. I don't think we'll see him playing this coming weekend. Which would mean the backs would stay the same.

Im happy for a rotation policy to come into play with some of our players who deserve it, but I would prefer these guys play a half and then get substituted. Simply to allow them to continually work on something in a game environment and help set us on getting the win which should be our first and foremost goal each week.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah starting Gill might be a idea, although it was noticeable when he come on last night that he gets knocked about a bit more then the likes of Robinson.. halfback is a hard position for the Reds, i dont think moving Lucas to 9 to give Genia a break is the right move, Lucas is developing into a quite safe fullback in his own right, just needs consistent game time there.

TOCC and Spectator: I suspect - don't you - that something is going to have have to give selections-wise for this team to keep it up through R18 and gain the points needed to ensure at best top 2 or at worst top 6. TOCC, isn't this roughly the point (relatively) that in 2010 started to catch up with us in terms of team intensity declines and greater injuries badly hitting results gained?

And, as we all know, just keeping the physical and mental intensity and concentration up after a 7 game winning streak with very demanding games in there to get the wins, well that is mighty hard. Cooper's poor field kicking this week may be a straw in the wind that has to be taken very seriously? And the risks of injury to the key players must be increasing now, through fatigue and 'niggles' that may worsen.

Could the wise choice be for Link start to rotate through riskier depth now, risk one or two losses now, but for a key gain when we play the Crus at home etc and in the last 3-4 crucial-to-end-points-position matches? Whatever, even though Link's built greater depth to the total squad this year, we cannot afford a repeat of 2010's what-might-have-been scenario.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Totally agree with the rotation idea and this week is a perfect opportunity to rest some key players. 'Canes coming back from SA, down on form and all that. Put Cooper on the bench, rest Genia entirely Mike Harris to 10, Tapuai to 12 (leave Ant at 13) and give the next best 9 a run. The forwards are the ones most in need of a rest after the brutal 'tahs game last night so rest Daley, Finger, Simmons, Higgers and Robbo - bring in Holmes, Hanson (give him the full 80 if possible or select the third string hooker on the bench and give him 10-15 at most), AWH, Quirk/Schatz and Gill. This week will be tough but as others have stated the Reds need to rotate before we get our next batch of tough games against the likes of the Crusaders, Blues and Highlanders as well as the Brumbies rematch.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Would not mind seeing some noticeable rotation for next weeks game. The Reds have just come through a very challenging three game bloc, and a few of those frontline players could do with a bit of a breather. Also gives the reserve players much needed game time should injuries become an issue later in the season.

It is only half way through the season and the way in which squads are managed from hereon in will play a large part at the pointy end of the season. The Blues and Crusaders are doing it well at the moment.

Back to the Reds and next week, I wouldn't mind seeing Gill start, Lucas have half a game at halfback, and have a fresh Schatz or Quirk start the game. It would also be good at some point in time, maybe not next week, to give Harris some decent game time at 10.

Considering the Saders just lost after rotating, that is a strange comment!

I agree with rotating some forwards, and maybe giving some bench backs more time on the back, but not rotating the backs except for injury, and maybe Hynes coming back into contention.

G

GC

The Saders rotated against one of the form teams of the comp & their local derby opponents, who love to beat them as much as QLD and NSW love to beat each other. That was crazy and seemingly poor coaching.

Rotating against lesser teams seems sensible, though there is of course a greater chance of a loss.

Who are the Reds playing next week?

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Who are the Reds playing next week?
I said it in my earlier post but to repeat they are playing the Hurricanes who are coming back from their SA tour. One of only two opportunities where they could consider resting key players (the other being the return Rebels game) and have a realistic chance of victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.