• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I said it in my earlier post but to repeat they are playing the Hurricanes who are coming back from their SA tour. One of only two opportunities where they could consider resting key players (the other being the return Rebels game) and have a realistic chance of victory.
This thread is moving so fast it is sometimes quite a time consuming exercise keeping up!

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I suggest the Reds don't change up too much or else face what happened to the Crusaders this week.

Too right. The canes will be desperate for a win, not the time to make major changes I'd say. Hope there is a chance to rest Genia, we don't want a repeat of last year. I'd say Ben Daley will be resting for a week or so anyhow with that broken nose, and maybe concussion from the way he was staggering around after it happened. Van, Leroy and AWH to get a bit more time, maybe second 40.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Too right. The canes will be desperate for a win, not the time to make major changes I'd say. Hope there is a chance to rest Genia, we don't want a repeat of last year. I'd say Ben Daley will be resting for a week or so anyhow with that broken nose, and maybe concussion from the way he was staggering around after it happened. Van, Leroy and AWH to get a bit more time, maybe second 40.

Hanson starting for Fainga'a as well. His game is much more complete, especially his scrummaging.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Agree we are likely to Fainga'a & Daley out of front row this week. Daley probably out of the squad altogether. He looked in a very bad way. Any word on the Ioane injury? Sunday mail reported he had a laceration, no other info on where.

What's the latest on Hynes? The backs have been playing so well it seems everyone has forgotten he is out. Going to be tough finding a place for him when he does return. I'd play he or Morahan on the wing or FB and drop Davies to the bench with Lucas. They will prob leave Hynes and Lucas on the bench though. Wouldn't that provide excellent impact in the last 20, no loss in class at all.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Ioane looked to have a huge lump on his jaw and was taken straight to the dressing room after the match.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There's no reason for us to come up with moot teams as Link is the man and has shown how astute he is at picking his teams. He also knows his players better than anyone and how they would respond in certain circumstances, regardless I wonder if QC (Quade Cooper) needs a break to freshen up? Now he may bounce back better than ever next week, but I reckon we could cover him for a week like this:

15 Ben Lucas
14 Luke Morahan
13 Will Chambers
12 Anthony Fainga'a
11 Digby Ioane
10 Michael Harris
9 Will Genia

8 Leroy Houston
7 Beau Robinson
6 Scott Higginbotham
5 James Horwill
4 Rob Simmons
3 Guy Shepherdson
2 Saia Fainga'a
1 Greg Holmes

16 James Hanson
17 Albert Anae ?
18 AWH
19 Liam Gill
20 Ian Prior
21 Ben Tapuia ?
22 Dom Shipperley

prop depth being tested assuming Slipper and Daley out. Anae next in line? Other injury assumptions are Rocket and Hynes.

Samo to be rested too, to freshen up.

I reckon that 10 12 13 combo is still very strong and the team could still beat the Canes.

C

chief

Have we really seen enough of Hanson to justify the faith many are showing in him?

Far too much talk up of Hanson. Fainga'a is a far better line out thrower, and Hanson cost them one or two, and some looked very dodgy as well I may point out. To be honest I don't think Fainga'a's scrummaging is that bad, I think it was time and place, and the Reds were a lot more fatigued in that zone.

R

Red Rooster

The Forever Reds membership is pretty bloody ordinary.

What so you pay only $50 get t-shirts and other stuff that the normal members don't get and then expect the best seats that other people are paying $4-500
to secure?? Try buying a rwal membership or 3 game membership - Forever Red is for out of towners who aren't likely to get to games was my take

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
What is the good oil on Slipper? He looked ok running the water. Hopefully he will be ok.

No idea but you can't pack scrum after scrum on an injured collar bone. They will make sure he is good before letting him back.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
There's no reason for us to come up with moot teams as Link is the man and has shown how astute he is at picking his teams. He also knows his players better than anyone and how they would respond in certain circumstances, regardless I wonder if QC (Quade Cooper) needs a break to freshen up? Now he may bounce back better than ever next week, but I reckon we could cover him for a week like this:

While I agree with you that the Reds have the players and ability to give Cooper a rest, I don't think he needs one really. Especially if it's a rest for physical reasons as he usually gets through a game without many scratches. A mental rest maybe, due to the fact he is the most important player in the team and has a lot of responsibility on his shoulders. But even then, if he is such a good player, he should be loving the challenge each week, which I think he does.

T

TOCC

well the NSW v Reds thread got close, but here are some of the stats..
sorry about the presentation of it.

QLD V NSW

51% POSSESSION 49%
479m RUN METRES 229m
66 ADVANTAGE LINE 58
5 OFF LOADS 5
6 LINE BREAKS 1
29 KICKS 28
103 / 119 TACKLES/ATTEMPTS 106 / 137
2 PILFERS 0
10 PENALITIES CONCEDED 6
11 ERRORS 10

QLD got across the advantage line more, missed less tackles, ran more meters, pilfered more ball and made more line breaks...

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Much like the first game vs the Tahs the Reds failed to capitalise on heir line breaks in phase play. It is a tribute to the Tahs scrambling defence. I wonder if the Tahs problem is getting themselves up to play like that and compete week in week out for most of the game.

However the Reds need to seriously work on clearing the ball. They continually gifted the Tahs great field position in that second half thanks to poor kicking and just not thinking.

G

Geeves

Well, well.

I'm stunned the Reds are now on top of the ladder based on points difference. They have only lost one game to the side that they were lucky/needed to beat on Saturday night to claim a complete set of victories against every side they have played. This includes defeating the Brumbies which smashes all sorts of records. After feasting on all the SA teams apart from the Sharks, including being the only side to defeat the Stormers this season, they now face the NZ sides.

Where they are is something that I was not expecting this season. I predicted they would top the Aus conference but to get a complete set of SA scalps plus a complete set of Aus scalps by now is not something I was betting on. The confidence they must have plus the way they are enjoying their rugby at the moment makes them dangerous. But can they get a complete set of NZ scalps? I would love to say yes but part of me still cannot say it, as the style of play is completely different. Although the Reds have show the ability to switch game styles from week to week and added maturity and self belief to the mix, I still think they lack the clinical precision in finishing needed.

I’m brimming with expectations but not sold on continuing undefeated. But then again look at the draw the Reds have. They now face the Hurricanes (A), Rebels (A), Blues (H), Bye, Crusaders (H), Brumbies (H), Force (A), Chiefs (A). The remaining sides are going to be expecting the Reds so there are no easy games. The hurricanes are unpredictable who knows even if they turn up to play or decide to viscerate the Reds. But the two hardest games are at home Blues and Crusaders, between which is a bye to get niggling injuries right. Damn but it ends up being a good draw. By rights the Reds should end up in the finals. But hopefully there are no season ending injuries. The scrum still needs work but the hard effort by the forwards is fantastic.

I’m enjoying this season after the slow start.

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
prop depth being tested assuming Slipper and Daley out.

Link in the post-match press conference was asked about injuries and said Daley had a broken nose but that won't stop him from playing. Also said Digby had a facial laceration but didn't know if he was out or not.

Full Reds press conference is on the foxsports website for anyone interested.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
This is from a press release from the Reds
RedsMedia said:
The Tahs clash was typically physical, particularly in the battle of the forwards, with Prop Ben Daley suffering a badly broken nose in an accidental collision with the elbow of a Tahs player. Winger Digby Ioane also suffered a facial injury and both will be assessed by medical staff this week.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.