• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't think 7 is going to be the weakness in the Reds side that some people are making it out to be, let's not forget that Braid missed a few games in 2010 and the Reds still played there style..

Moving away from Gill firstly, Ed Quirk is a very good player who's long time position will probably be blindside flanker, but he is quite quick over 40m and can play a quite decent ball scavenger role and is a very good linkman,

I think we will see Shatz bulked up considerably in 2011 to become a genuine number 8 alternative, so I can't see him playing much at 7.

Then there is Lei Tomiki, people have commented on his 2010 form as been bad, well unless they went out to the trial matches to watch, then they are basing that opinion on the one game of rugby he actual played with the Reds at S14. Lei is a very good ball scavenger, numerous injuries hindered him In 2010, McKenzie was his coach in NSW for a short time and also coached against him in France, so I think he was signed on a little bit more then reputation.

Let's then not forget about the Academy, Beau Robinson and Ben Corridas are rumored to have signed as well, I doubt both have but I suspect at least one of them has.

Then there is Gill, firstly he was to small and now he is to young, I don't personally think either are true, from what I've seen he seems mature enough to step up and with a full off-season I suspect he will be physical prepared as well. Undoubtedly Gill will be rested throughout 2011 by Link, it's a luxury he is afforded with a decent supply of alternative 7's to pick from.

If anything is true, it is that we are spending to much time debating this specific topic, the only way those discussion will be solved is at the completion of 2011 Super Rugby season.

who signed him? Mooney or Link?

R

Red Rooster

He was signed during the period of turmoil when people were being sacked and leaving - not sure whose idea it was but I suspect that Dan Herbert might have known him from France and he was doing most jobs at the QRU at the time. It was before Link arrived i think

I am hearing Robinson and Coridas are both in QLD next year

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This ad is brilliant. Captures season 2010 sensationally I reckon.

Can't wait for 2011.

[video=youtube;dcZ6i5i0gLs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcZ6i5i0gLs&feature=player_embedded[/video]

T

TOCC

great advirtisement, and yes i was actually wrong on Lei Tomiki, i thought Link recruited him but he was actually recruited when Mooney was still there, which doesnt really make a different since Mooney also recruited the majority of the team that was there this year anyway.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
This ad is brilliant. Captures season 2010 sensationally I reckon.

Can't wait for 2011.

[video=youtube;dcZ6i5i0gLs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcZ6i5i0gLs&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Great ad, but the quote "This is our time" seems a bit familiar...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Great ad.

When I made a comment during the S14 this year that I enjoyed watching the Reds matches more than some of the Tahs matches I had seen this year, people may have thought I was bullshitting (something not unknown to me). But I was serious. I loved watching the Reds play.

I look forward to watching them again in 2011 and wish them well (except in two games). Not to the point, but I hope that the Tahs play with the same kind of rugby as they did at the end of the season.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
"Stick with us...we're rebuilding", Haha good stuff Reg

For the wallabies supporters and reds fans I hope they dont flop in 2011 because they play scintillating stuff when they want to.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the academy prospects played against the Lions and Cheetahs and maybe the highlanders aswell.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
"Stick with us...we're rebuilding", Haha good stuff Reg

For the wallabies supporters and reds fans I hope they dont flop in 2011 because they play scintillating stuff when they want to.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the academy prospects played against the Lions and Cheetahs and maybe the highlanders aswell.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. I am sure a few teams had the Reds pencilled in that same bracket. It just might be the year for some of those teams shit to all fall in place.

T

tranquility

I'm a little behind as always having only just watched the commonwealth games footy. Doesn't the performances of some of those young blokes bode well for the future of the Reds? I know their is growing Liam Gill hysteria but what I like about him is that he has all the bread and butter skills, ie excellent defender, great scavenging and also very good ball protection for a young and smallish player, but he is genuinely a good footballer. He runs good lines when he gets caught outwide, he has good vision and 'crumbing' skills when the ball hits the deck and is a very skillful footballer not unlike George Smith. It will be interesting how quickly he develops in the 15 man game because he will be quite a different 7 to Mr. Pocock and they will have some immense tussles. Also how good was Luke Morahan? his strength in contact is great for a young pup, and he is also very agile for a bloke of his frame. I have said it before, but he has all the attributes to be world class winger (height, balance, speed, bulk, agility etc) and we will start to see the finished product I would say in 24 months time. I just hope he can keep working hard and have a good season after struggling with second year syndrome this year.

Other notable performances. Robbie Coleman, kid is a freak. When I first saw him play, I wasn't that impressed - I could not have been more wrong. He is a very strong defender for a lad of his size and has so much zip in attack. He also has tremendous vision and can find that elusive 'space' for other players. Very Tim Horan esque style inside center.

I also really hope James Stannard can kick on from this tremendous 7s form and become a really creative number 9 at super level.

Cummins? what a lemon. considering he made his name as a 7s player, what the hell has happened to him? he honestly looks clueless out there, his rugby progression is really starting to plateau which is a concern. I am very glad that Pat McCabe has jumped in the Wallaby que.

Rant complete.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I pressed the agree button, but had to post as well. I couldn't agree more with everything you have said.

I'd also like to add that Luke Morahan seems to be developing the skills that could see him an option for one spot closer to the ruck, ie outside centre.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Not a bad rant at all tranquility.

I know their is growing Liam Gill hysteria but what I like about him is that he has all the bread and butter skills, ie excellent defender, great scavenging and also very good ball protection for a young and smallish player, but he is genuinely a good footballer. The things you mention in your post are the attributes that make him a good footballer. There may be a bit of hysteria about him, but no more so than when George Smith emerged from schoolboy rugby straight into the Super12, taking into account the increased use of the internet since then.

..... is a very skillful footballer not unlike George Smith. It will be interesting how quickly he develops in the 15 man game because he will be quite a different 7 to Mr. Pocock He's a bit different from Smith and a lot from Pocock as you indicate. We will have to see how his play develops in the pro game when he gets there. In XVs rugby I have seen him play just 6 games of schools footie but to me the player he resembled most was Richie McCaw as a young bloke (in the U/21s.)

Also how good was Luke Morahan? his strength in contact is great for a young pup, and he is also very agile for a bloke of his frame. I have said it before, but he has all the attributes to be world class winger (height, balance, speed, bulk, agility etc) and we will start to see the finished product I would say in 24 months time. Good player, and one we'd all like to see on the park every week. One of the good things about playing more games in Super rugby next year is that players like Morahan, and Kirkpatrick at the Tahs, will get more game time; or should. He seems to be bigger this year so one hopes than his pace has not been compromised.

Robbie Coleman, kid is a freak. When I first saw him play, I wasn't that impressed - I could not have been more wrong. Me too. He didn't impress me all that much as a schools player and I had no understanding of how fast he was even after watching him in a tournament - though I could have said the same about Sills in the same tournament.

I also really hope James Stannard can kick on from this tremendous 7s form and become a really creative number 9 at super level. Agree, though it may be that Stannard's niche will be in Sevens. Let's hope it's not the case and he can bring his attributes to the XVs. He had a good season in Sydney club rugby and if he's got the goods for Super rugby we will see soon enough. He's already been in the Brumbies and Force stables without making his mark; so 2011 could be his make or break year in his 2nd coming at the Force.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think Stannard needs to look at playing flyhalf or IC in super rugby rather than halfback. Not sure about his kicking game though?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I pressed the agree button, but had to post as well. I couldn't agree more with everything you have said.

I'd also like to add that Luke Morahan seems to be developing the skills that could see him an option for one spot closer to the ruck, ie outside centre.

He spent a lot of time there for Uni in the Brisbane Comp

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Matt Luamanu - what an animal, over 120 kgs and can run like that. The commentators said he would be better if he got his weight down but he looked pretty good as is. He was in the Kiwi U20 team a couple of years ago so he'd be one worth nabbing.

I thought Mikey Harris had another good game until he re-injured his knee. He stayed on but you could see it was troubling him and he should have gone off. He passed some nice inside balls, and long balls both ways. He will never be able to dodge like QC (Quade Cooper), but who can? Methinks it will just take one injury at 10 or 12 to see what a handy acquisition he's going to be for the Reds.

He kicked some good goals too including one from the kick-off spot 50 metres out. He'd be the best goal kicker in the Reds stable.

R

Red Rooster

Matt Luamanu - what an animal, over 120 kgs and can run like that. The commentators said he would be better if he got his weight down but he looked pretty good as is. He was in the Kiwi U20 team a couple of years ago so he'd be one worth nabbing.

I thought Mikey Harris had another good game until he re-injured his knee. He stayed on but you could see it was troubling him and he should have gone off. He passed some nice inside balls, and long balls both ways. He will never be able to dodge like QC (Quade Cooper), but who can? Methinks it will just take one injury at 10 or 12 to see what a handy acquisition he's going to be for the Reds.

He kicked some good goals too including one from the kick-off spot 50 metres out. He'd be the best goal kicker in the Reds stable.

Sounds like Harris has good fundamentals and some good points of difference - a good acquisition if injuries become an issue

T

TOCC

First look at the 2010 Reds Academy?

I think i see Johno Lance, Mitchel Felsman and Simon Morahan, not sure who the big fijian looking bloke is, theres another big guy in there as well, looks like one of the Uni locks or backrowers.

http://sphotos.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-snc4/hs914.snc4/72755_494504200235_282471695235_7452125_5219904_n.jpg

http://sphotos.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-snc4/hs288.snc4/40763_494503535235_282471695235_7452092_2504229_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.